Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I have 2017 Macan S with 22000 km. I am the original owner and for the past few months have been noticing general degradation of driving quality. The vehicle just doesn't feel smooth as it used to be and there is slight vibration (nothing which shakes the whole car or anything like that but constant vibration which seems to be more visible at around 1500 RPM (any gear). However, if I put the car in Park and try to maintain 1500 RPM I don't feel it.

Also noticed that if the car goes into cruise mode (ofcourse the RPM drops to 800) vibration is much less (not 100% gone but reduces by 80%)

So it is less of a speed dependent and more of an RPM dependent (starts to pick up around 1400 and peaks at 1500).

It also at time feel like the vehicle is feeling like using a high gear at lower speed (resonance)

Vibration can be felt less on steering and more on the seat, pedals and floorboard on the passenger side.

Hope someone has a suggestion for me. It is going to Dealer for Throttle body replacement sometime in the next 2 weeks (I was told that Throttle body part is being redesigned and is out of stock).

Not sure if the issues are related to Throttle body but the reason they are replacing Throttle body is due to some funky error messages which popped up on a very cold day and Dealership check and found the Throttle body was sticking (cleaned it and told me that it will be replaced with a new part as soon as it arrive).

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI, I have 2017 Macan S with 22000 km. I am the original owner and for the past few months have been noticing general degradation of driving quality. The vehicle just doesn't feel smooth as it used to be and there is slight vibration (nothing which shakes the whole car or anything like that but constant vibration which seems to be more visible at around 1500 RPM (any gear). However, if I put the car in Park and try to maintain 1500 RPM I don't feel it.

Also noticed that if the car goes into cruise mode (ofcourse the RPM drops to 800) vibration is much less (not 100% gone but reduces by 80%)

So it is less of a speed dependent and more of an RPM dependent (starts to pick up around 1400 and peaks at 1500).

It also at time feel like the vehicle is feeling like using a high gear at lower speed (resonance)

Vibration can be felt less on steering and more on the seat, pedals and floorboard on the passenger side.

Hope someone has a suggestion for me. It is going to Dealer for Throttle body replacement sometime in the next 2 weeks (I was told that Throttle body part is being redesigned and is out of stock).

Not sure if the issues are related to Throttle body but the reason they are replacing Throttle body is due to some funky error messages which popped up on a very cold day and Dealership check and found the Throttle body was sticking (cleaned it and told me that it will be replaced with a new part as soon as it arrive).

First call. Get your wheel balance checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your input.

I took it to the dealer who ofcourse will like to first do the work for which they can charge so suggested a wheel balance which I was quite sure ill not fix it as it is not speed dependent Anyway, in order to take away their hiding place, I paid for the wheel balance and I was told that the vibration is gone. As I was late in picking it up thee was no one to test drive it with but I felt the vibration as it was before (no surprise). Took it back to them and now they are trying to say that it might be normal for Macan to have this so I told them to find me another similar vehicle which we can test drive (if it is normal for this vehicle then all of them should have it). They will let me know when to come now.

Just a FYI for Throttle body for Macan. New part is still on back order for another 2-3 weeks (it's been more than 1 month already

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
Since you state you do not feel the vibration in the steering wheel that would seem to rule
out the front end. A vibration felt through the seat may be caused by one (or more) of the following:

- rear tires out of balance. Try driving in different gears for a given speed and see if it's RPM or
road speed related

- drive shaft

- others have suggested transfer case. Again, try to determine whether its related to road speed or
is ONLY present for a given RPM

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Vibration is purely RPM related and is load dependent i.e. if I am idling at 1500 RPM then no vibration. If going downhill, not much vibration, If the slope of the road is upwards and engine is working a bit to move the vehicle to maintain speed it is very visible.
I can switch on Sports mode which will generally keep the RPM above 2K and vehicle is much more smoother.

So basically drive it like a Sports car and it seems to like it and try to make it a family vehicle and it tells me it is not happy :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vibration at 1300 RPM

Hi, I have a Macan S 2015 :D with 30000 miles. During the service, they had to exchange the exhaust because it was broken (when two exhaust pipes joined from the engine), I faced a very bad vibration at 1300 RPM. Porsche dealer has recognized the issue. They work on it for 5 weeks now to try to find the cause of it. Luckely, they provided a courtesy loaner to replace my car. (Macan :(, so not as fun and pleasure to drive than the S).
If you have any idea, what could be the cause, or if one of you faced this issue too.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Hi, I have a Macan S 2015 :D with 30000 miles. During the service, they had to exchange the exhaust because it was broken (when two exhaust pipes joined from the engine), I faced a very bad vibration at 1300 RPM.....If you have any idea, what could be the cause, or if one of you faced this issue too.
If you are referring to a cracked support bracket that binds the two mid-pipes together, that is a fairly common and well known issue on some of the earlier cars. Have a look at post number 89 in the following thread for some thoughts on the root cause. Best of luck getting it resolved soon.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/71953-cracked-mid-pipe-exhaust-plate-bracket-9.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had a similar issue with other car Audi A5. Turned out to be a bad coil. Weak spark. They did the plugs also. Replaced all and car was fixed. Had noticeably more power and overall ran like it should. Should be easy to determine by hooking it up to scan tool.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been noticing this recently, males me want to quickly down-shift. I'll go get it checked-out. I'm nearing the end of my warranty period. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Macan S is having the same issue. First, the dealer replaced the flex joints in the downpipe that didn't help much. Then they replaced the transfer case which was really an unrelated issue but that didn't change a thing. Third, they replaced the entire exhaust system, that reduced the problem but was never completely gone. A couple months later, the vibration is getting worse again. I did notice after an oil change the symptom was reduced for about a week as the engine run smoother with the new oil. The problem really is the engine vibration transfer to the exhaust system, the flex joints between the 2 are not working as designed so I feel the vibration under the seat and on the floor. I have a appointment scheduled next month hopefully they can figure out what's going on. Maybe it's really a bad coil?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you checked the transfer case and engine mounting bushings?
Have you’ve been able to reproduce the vibrations in park/ neutral gear ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks all for your input.

I took it to the dealer who ofcourse will like to first do the work for which they can charge so suggested a wheel balance which I was quite sure ill not fix it as it is not speed dependent Anyway, in order to take away their hiding place, I paid for the wheel balance and I was told that the vibration is gone. As I was late in picking it up thee was no one to test drive it with but I felt the vibration as it was before (no surprise). Took it back to them and now they are trying to say that it might be normal for Macan to have this so I told them to find me another similar vehicle which we can test drive (if it is normal for this vehicle then all of them should have it). They will let me know when to come now.

Just a FYI for Throttle body for Macan. New part is still on back order for another 2-3 weeks (it's been more than 1 month already
I have exactly the same problem. Nobody and all will say transfer case problem (which is not the cause in this situation) are able to find the cause. It 's just have to do with the S engine of the Macan. I tested it on 3 different Macan including my own. Same gruff sound from 1200rpm to 1600 rpm especially firm acceleration from 5th to 7th gear. A kickdown on the pedal from 7th to 5th pushes rpm beyond 1800 or more and the gruffiness disappear.
The car is otherwise drives well. Therefore either I drive it at about 1100 rpm at about 80km/hr which at 7th gear is very smooth or above 90km at about 1800rpm which is also smooth. I try avoiding press pedal firmly at 7th gear without kickdown. To by pass the gruffiness I do a kickdown to 5th gear from 7th if I have to overtake.
I have leaned to live with it until Porsche can find a solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
a few days after I bought my Macan Turbo, I noticed the vibration between 900-1100rpms while in traffic. I can rev the car in park and replicate the vibration, but It’s more noticeable when the car is down shifting while slowing down.

I took it back to the dealership and they replaced both motor mounts and the transmission mount, but vibration is still there. The exhaust brackets are all fine. The vibration is coming from the engine and causing the the exhaust pipes to rattle which then are felt through the seats and sometimes heard through the cabin.

I have search everywhere for answers; I can only find similar issues by other members, but no solution. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction, so that I can possibly help the dealership locate the problem and even know for myself what’s going on with this Macan. I’ve owned my fair share of cars and have never came across an issue like this before which is puzzling.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
.....I noticed the vibration between 900-1100rpms while in traffic. I can rev the car in park and replicate the vibration, but It’s more noticeable when the car is down shifting while slowing down......
Curious, what model year is your Turbo?

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
2016 Macan turbo, 30k miles
Alright. I guess my next question would be whether the car was an early 2016 build (summer of 2015)?

From your description, it sounds a lot like the issue I had with the cracked exhaust bracket.....except your dealership seems to have ruled that out.....which makes me wonder if that should be revisited?

There were a lot of cases of broken exhaust brackets where instead of doing the full repair, the dealership simply cut off the bracket so it wouldn't be noisy. Also, some of the early repairs only involved replacing the mid-pipes; whereas later, Porsche determined that the downpipes required replacements as well (if I recall correctly). So I'm wondering whether its possible your car once had a partial repair done, but not a complete repair.

Our Turbo was a May 2015 build, which means it was one of the last group of Turbos built for the 2015 model year. Our exhaust issue didn't show up until sometime around 50k miles. It was replaced at 60k miles. Same symptoms as you reported. The repair invoice says the following:

Consulted TI bulletin 20/16 2601. Found front exhaust pipes to be outdated version causing rattle. Removed exhaust system. Convert exhaust system. Replaced front pipes with updated version. Removed exhaust tabs from rear section of exhaust. Test drove vehicle to confirm repair. OK.

There's more background at the thread link below, which I'm guessing you've already found. There was at least one member who reported that his rattle was due to a broken internal baffle on one of the mufflers, so maybe that's a another thing to check.

Wish I had something more definitive for you. Best of luck getting it sorted, and let us know if it's finally resolved.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/cracked-mid-pipe-exhaust-plate-bracket.71953/

·
Super Moderator
1,617 Posts
SoCalS5

I drive a 2015 Turbo (~32K miles) and had the mid-pipe replaced maybe 18-20 months ago. Perhaps a year ago, I noticed
off throttle around 1000-1200 RPM it sounded as though my Macan had a Jake brake (like the BIG trucks). I wondered what
it could be? I checked and the mid-pipe bracket was cracked.

This spring, my Macan was at the dealer for the timing chain cover leak issue. When I (finally!) got it back, I found that the
tech had cut off the mid-pipe bracket! While the noise was reduced, I still experience some vibration/shaking on decelleration
in the same RPM rage as before.

Do you believe this is a result of the downpipes not having been replaced?

Thx!

🤗

1 - 20 of 34 Posts