Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interested in a 2016 S (clean carfax) with under 35K miles, from Porsche dealer, for about $33k with the following options: No factory warranty, there is no service records on CARFAX up until 18k miles, oil change was regular after this. Any thoughts, advise?! Anyone with recent successful/horror story of used-ownership?

1NP​
Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest​
2Y​
Carrara White Metallic​
2ZH​
Steering Wheel Heating​
5MH​
Carbon Fiber Interior Package​
6H1​
Side Blades in Exterior Color​
7G9​
Porsche Car Connect​
7X8​
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera​
7Y1​
Lane Change Assist (LCA)​
9JB​
Smoking Package​
9VL​
Bose® Surround Sound System​
CY3​
20" RS Spyder Design Wheels​
N1B​
Preparation Two-Tone Leather Interior i.c.w. Seat Ventilation​
PE5​
Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package​
PJ1​
Infotainment Package​
PJ3​
Premium Package Plus​
PP8​
Comfort Lighting Package​
VU​
Leather Package in Black/Garnet Red​

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
183 Posts
There are lots of threads about this, worth doing a search, but the opinions will generally boil down to 1) Never own a Macan without warranty or 2) never pay for an extended warranty. Both sides have their reasons and valid points.

In your situation, assuming you otherwise like the car, my concerns would be as follows. 1) Is the dealer willing to offer it CPO? Not saying you necessarily want it CPO, you might, but if not, that's a red flag. 2) The lack of any records for the first 18,000 miles. Could have serious damage, could have been driven like it was stolen. This means you absolutely 100% need an indy mechanic to carefully look it over. 3) Timing Chain Cover. This is your likely worst case scenario problem. It's not an uncommon problem, and an expensive repair (5-10k). Make sure the indy knows about this issue and looks for it.

The other big issue with the Macan is the Transfer Case, but that's 70,000 mile warrantied, so while it could be an annoyance, it's not a big cost. I'd ask yourself if you buy it today, and have to pay for a 5-10k repair in a month, are you going to be okay with that?

·
Registered
215 Posts
If the warranty is not dealer provided via CPO, I would strongly consider a Fidelity Platinum warranty which can be purchased generally from any auto dealer. On our 4S coupe, I bought the Fidelity from a Chevrolet dealership after buying the car from a private seller. Saved over $2,500 from the Porsche dealership quote.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just popped the question of putting the car under PCPO program, sale rep. quoted $3,250; reasonable? Can I get another dealer to do the CPO if they're cheaper? Or would that gets complicated bc they would have to do a trade, etc....

Thanks for all the sound advise, I stayed up late last night reading 'leak' issues! This will be my first entry into the brand, not a great start, but I like the car enough to try to resolve in my favor...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If the dealership is a Porsche dealership, ask for service and repair records. If not, go to one with the VIN and recut the same. Obtain both a Carfax AND Autocheck. Compare them for any irregularities. How many owners. What state(s) did it live in (think flood and/or salt exposure. Any recurring issues requiring multiple visits for repair. Have the dealership drop the belly pan. Have a good flashlight with you. Inspect it for any oil leaks yourself. Assume NOTHING.

Reactions: Gachnar

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
183 Posts
Just popped the question of putting the car under PCPO program, sale rep. quoted $3,250; reasonable? Can I get another dealer to do the CPO if they're cheaper? Or would that gets complicated bc they would have to do a trade, etc....

Thanks for all the sound advise, I stayed up late last night reading 'leak' issues! This will be my first entry into the brand, not a great start, but I like the car enough to try to resolve in my favor...
Don‘t let the leak thread scare you too bad. Remember, only a small portion of owners are on forums like this, and people with problems are much more likely to post, but it’s definitely the big one to look out for. Overall these are very reliable cars.

3k seems to be about the going rate for CPO. Other warranties will likely be in the same ballpark at least, and if your dealer is convenient (my nearest ones are 2 hours away) it’s going to provide the best peace of mind.

Obviously no one can determine what’s right for you except you. Personally I love lower mileage value cars like that. But it also depends on how many miles you will be putting on and how quickly you’ll hit various service intervals. Also will you do any maintenance yourself or have it performed at a dealer or local Indy? When you hear $400 from the dealer for an oil change will that shock you?

If I moved forward with the car after following Bruce‘s recommendations above, personally I’d want the CPO for peace of mind. Keep in mind there are plenty of stories of people who drive home a CPO car and discover issues (there’s a new thread today about it in fact). Don’t assume CPO means no issues. But it does mean issues are their problem. If you buy it as is and discover an issue the next week, they may fix it as goodwill, but it’s going to be their choice. But a finance expert would tell you to buy cash and self insure instead of paying for the warranty. Put that 3k somewhere earning interest And you have it if something does go wrong. Now, if the engine blows up, you lose, cause a new engine costs more than the car. But more often than not, you come out ahead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would do that all day long sounds like you found one with less miles than me and more options for the same price. I opted to put the extended warranty money in the bank and gamble on whether or not I will need it, I have been down this road many times and every time I did the warranty never paid for itself but I know it is still a gamble. Porsche extending the warranty on the trasfer case 2 weeks after I purchased mine was a big win for me as that was the first thing that got replaced and thankfully it was free of charge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don‘t let the leak thread scare you too bad. Remember, only a small portion of owners are on forums like this, and people with problems are much more likely to post, but it’s definitely the big one to look out for. Overall these are very reliable cars.

3k seems to be about the going rate for CPO. Other warranties will likely be in the same ballpark at least, and if your dealer is convenient (my nearest ones are 2 hours away) it’s going to provide the best peace of mind.

Obviously no one can determine what’s right for you except you. Personally I love lower mileage value cars like that. But it also depends on how many miles you will be putting on and how quickly you’ll hit various service intervals. Also will you do any maintenance yourself or have it performed at a dealer or local Indy? When you hear $400 from the dealer for an oil change will that shock you?

If I moved forward with the car after following Bruce‘s recommendations above, personally I’d want the CPO for peace of mind. Keep in mind there are plenty of stories of people who drive home a CPO car and discover issues (there’s a new thread today about it in fact). Don’t assume CPO means no issues. But it does mean issues are their problem. If you buy it as is and discover an issue the next week, they may fix it as goodwill, but it’s going to be their choice. But a finance expert would tell you to buy cash and self insure instead of paying for the warranty. Put that 3k somewhere earning interest And you have it if something does go wrong. Now, if the engine blows up, you lose, cause a new engine costs more than the car. But more often than not, you come out ahead.
My last two cars were BMW leases, so I haven't had to do much maintenance on my own. However, I'm proficient in doing simple oil changes on cars such as my first 1988 Honda Accord with a carb.! In fact, did quite a few jobs on it, CV joint replace, brakes, messing with timing bc of replacing distributor cap... Simple diy won't be a problem for me, $400 annual service is not a shocker for me either. I have not done any engine work on cars, but I did successfully dissembled a motorcycle carb. for cleaning and reassemble-albeit multiple attempts! My initial inclination all along to find a CPO, MB, BMW, Porsche came out better with the 2 years instead of one year warranty. Nearest Porches dealer is 50 miles away, Omaha NE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would do that all day long sounds like you found one with less miles than me and more options for the same price. I opted to put the extended warranty money in the bank and gamble on whether or not I will need it, I have been down this road many times and every time I did the warranty never paid for itself but I know it is still a gamble. Porsche extending the warranty on the trasfer case 2 weeks after I purchased mine was a big win for me as that was the first thing that got replaced and thankfully it was free of charge.
I was at 51% not going forward as is, now you moved that needle back at 51% going forward, thanks alot! You get the blame it I take your advise and something happens...

·
Registered
55 Posts
14 years of being married I am used to getting blamed for everything so it wouldn't be anything new, so glad that it is over and I could finally get back in a Porsche! But all kidding aside it is usually personal preference I am just sharing my experience from over the years, many would say they would never own a Porsche without a warranty but they can usually afford to buy new a Porsche whenever they want which is certainly not an option for me. I will say I smile everyday I start up my Macan and even more so when I start driving it, If I get some unfortunate repair that cost more than the money I put aside that smile will likely disappear quickly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I'm not sure.....

Can we investigate the incidence of these 'catastrophic' repairs.....??

One has had the warranty extended....
Others may not appear this late in the game

Getting the right deal/price inherently involves risk..... any car purchase does, espaecially in the Hi Miles zone

You're either comfortable or not... staring at a 10% chance (or less) chance of repair can paralyze the brain

My 2 cents... which may be worth more !!!
hahaha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update- likely moving forward with purchase, pending test drive and inspection. I asked to take the car for pre-purchase inspection at another shop and they are OK with it, so that is a good sign-I may or may not do this. One issue, car only has one key, the sale rep. quoted me $800 to get the second set. I've searched on here and average quotes were around $450-650, although from posts a couple of years ago. Would it be uncalled for if I initiate contact with sale manager to ask for it?

·
Registered
690 Posts
update- likely moving forward with purchase, pending test drive and inspection. I asked to take the car for pre-purchase inspection at another shop and they are OK with it, so that is a good sign-I may or may not do this. One issue, car only has one key, the sale rep. quoted me $800 to get the second set. I've searched on here and average quotes were around $450-650, although from posts a couple of years ago. Would it be uncalled for if I initiate contact with sale manager to ask for it?
Assuming the test drive and inspection are everything you could hope for you you might want to make an offer to your SA (or direct to SM if you're comfortable). Such offer would be you would buy the car IF they agree to include a programmed second key. Worth a shot, all they can say is no.

·
Registered
38 Posts
seconded. make offer contingent on two keys. if they refuse I’d offer to pay another $300-400 for the car if they include two keys.

Win for them: higher than expected sales price
Win for you: saves a few hundred on the second key and you get both keys when you pick up the car

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
When I bought my '18 Porsche S Macan I established a sinking fund. Whenever I had extra bucks I dumped into this account thinking that when the time came I would trade the car in and buy a new one. Time has gone by and now I am considering relabeling this fund to self insurance as the new cars are not as good as what I already have with almost no miles on it because of Covid-19. No, it is not quite to the Taycon level.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with the above. Make the offer that the CPO is good for $3,200 (worth it in my opinion) but the car needs to come with 2 keys to make the deal work for you. Then see what they do. Push come to shove, tell them you will throw in an additional $300 for a 2nd key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update2-The car will have power-train warranty 5years/100k, under written from Allstate, included in purchase. The Porsche dealer is providing this (included in price of car) and it is honorable nationwide, and from the brochure they provided timing cover is included! Still won't budge on the key, but I haven't asked for a discount like many suggested here, $300-400; will take this approach.

thank you ladies and gents.

edit-if going with CPO route, the fact that it'll be Pcpo, it will need to have two set of keys as per the cpo report/requirement doesn't it? So I shouldn't have to pay extra for the other key...

Nevermind, wrong brand, some other CPO program required this but not Porsche. BMW I think. Acura cpo
164. Two Master Keys (Replace if missing or damaged)..
------------------------------------------------------------------------
update 3- they'll 'discount' the key $675 if CPO for $3200.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
183 Posts
Update2-The car will have power-train warranty 5years/100k, under written from Allstate, included in purchase. The Porsche dealer is providing this (included in price of car) and it is honorable nationwide, and from the brochure they provided timing cover is included! Still won't budge on the key, but I haven't asked for a discount like many suggested here, $300-400; will take this approach.

thank you ladies and gents.

edit-if going with CPO route, the fact that it'll be Pcpo, it will need to have two set of keys as per the cpo report/requirement doesn't it? So I shouldn't have to pay extra for the other key...

Nevermind, wrong brand, some other CPO program required this but not Porsche. BMW I think. Acura cpo
164. Two Master Keys (Replace if missing or damaged)..
Good luck, it always pays to negotiate, and the worst they can do is say no. I'd definitely make sure you end up with two keys one way or another, as there's no easy fix for lost my key and don't have another. Make sure to post some pics if you complete the transaction!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the warranty that’s included in the purchase, underwritten by Allstate for the dealer. Just powertrain and no electronics...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have never used the second key on any of my cars although I never shared them either I assuming you have someone that you will be sharing the Macan with? Sure it's nice to have a second key if you lose yours but I have never lost my keys at my own house which is where the second one sits, I do however keep spare batteries.

We should be up to 4 cents now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts