Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 Macan Sports Edition, and when I plug in my iPhone in the USB connector under the arm rest in the center console, it does not charge the iPhone but it does provide a data connection. Using the same cable, if I plug it in the USB connector in the back seating area, it charges fine (so not a cable issue). Is this a defect or does the USB connector in the center console really not provide charging power?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did a search and didn't find anything. Thanks for any insight you may have!
Kurt

·
Registered
392 Posts
Is it an Apple cord? I know it might not make sense since the cable is working in one socket but not the other but non Apple aftermarket cords can be quirky for unknown reasons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not an Apple cord, but I will try other cords. I guess my question is if that plug is designed to provide power or not? If it is, then I need to troubleshoot further and/or get the dealer service involved.
Kurt

·
Registered
583 Posts
It provides power, but I've found that some cords don't give a reliable power connection. Try a different cord.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Macan Sports Edition, and when I plug in my iPhone in the USB connector under the arm rest in the center console, it does not charge the iPhone but it does provide a data connection. Using the same cable, if I plug it in the USB connector in the back seating area, it charges fine (so not a cable issue). Is this a defect or does the USB connector in the center console really not provide charging power?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I did a search and didn't find anything. Thanks for any insight you may have!
Kurt
I have a 2018 and that location charges my phone. Try an Apple cord.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Kurt
It should provide you with a data connection and charging. As mentioned get a genuine apple cord. The back USB connection will charge only and this makes sense if you have guests in the car who want to charge their phone.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have been using a cheaper cable for almost 2 years now with no issues. It charges and connects the phone to Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Used to use an Apple cable... wore it out. Now using one from Amazon. Charges and connects Apple Car Play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
741 Posts
To add, third-party cables are fine if the cable has the MFI chip coding. I use a non-Apple cord in black without issue. Anker, Aukey, Amazon Basics, Belkin, Mophie... and others have the MFI.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

Kurt
The USB in the center console can be "flaky". I use it with an iPod and every once in a while the iPod will not show as available. Sometimes a plug in/out gets it back and other times when I stop and then restart, works fine. I have used "Apple" cords and others with absolutely no difference. Issue is infrequent and just seems to be an electronic gremlin. Could be worse,,, could be a Jag :unsure:

·
Registered
107 Posts
+1 on the aftermarket cords being flaky. I've seen it both on lighting connectors for Apple and USB-C for Android. Often just disconnecting and then reconnecting will resolve it, or turning the connector upside down (since both connectors are reversible, it gives you two options to try). But the aftermarket ones are so much cheaper anyway I don't mind occasionally throwing one away and buying another on eBay for $1-2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts