Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Just make sure you put white paper up in front, switch on your current fog lights, mark off the top level, swap to LED's then adjust the level with the small white dial built into the Morimoto LED's until you match up with the original setting !

Standard on the left, LED on the right. Note the black horizontal levels on the white sheets.

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Reactions: SoCalS5

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, a stone took out my left fog light so I got motivated to swap to the Marimoto lights. They look so much better and have significantly improved light output, such that I will actually use them as driving & fog lights. 20 min or less install with all the tips in this thread. 64EFDA0A-84CF-4555-94F8-2AB901B8D8E2.jpeg C3547229-22B6-4D98-9C84-88C0E42FD8F4.jpeg

·
Registered
192 Posts
I installed these in my 2017 macan and noticed that they don’t activate when you are turning left or right like the halogen fog lights. So not really worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Today I am upgrading the dull halogen h11 Bulbs that come stock in the Porsche Macan S 95B to a more modern LED Bulbs. The factory Fog light brightness is almost useless but with these not only are they brighter and potent but they also become actually useful.

The new brightness gets cranked up to to about 800 Lumens and color output of 6000K. Listing states 6500K but i feel like they are more 6000K since there isn't much of a blue tint to it and they are more bright white.

PRODUCT USED IN THIS VIDEO
========================
BEAMTECH H11 Led Fog Light Bulb
https://amzn.to/32NJucn

Any cleaning supply will do and a stainless steel kitchen scrubber will be good to clean the lamp. (I had to because i had previously used lamin-x film t make them yellow and it pretty much cooked with the heat. Had to remove it

RECOMMENDATIONS
========================
After much research. I found out basically the BRIGHTEST and MOST POWERFUL LED's money can buy. Will probably upgrade to these later but unless you are needing to throw signals at deep space. These may be too much.
GTR Lighting Ultra Series 2 Low beam - 950 Max Lux with 6000K and 3900 LUMENS of output

Honorable Mention: DAMA H11 bulbs promise 8000 (4000 each side) Lumens which make them just as bright for half the cost.

Still want to make them yellow for FOG and snow but may wait til next winter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought the Dama's and quickly realized the beam cutoff is there, but throws off so much indirect light above the cutoff that they were unusable on the road. There were essentially blinding people. They were fantastic when driving over the mountain though. I quickly replaced them with Morimoto's. Super sharp cutoff and just as bright LED's. I'd be wary of using just the bulbs in the halogen housing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I second @lagunas2k and the best way to go is to get Morimoto units (fog unit set and not just bulbs) for Base and S. I did that on the 2014 Cayenne Base and it was superb as they look great during the day just being off and look amazing at night when lighting up the road. I did not have to do it on the Macan since Turbo came with LED slim units standard.

Reactions: SaulV

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah this is a terrible thing to do for oncoming traffic. Retrofitting hella bright LED/HID bulbs into halogen housings creates a dangerous driving situation for people driving toward you in 2 ton death machines.

I also upgraded to the Morimoto LED housings, and they are superb. Great bargain for the performance and style they deliver. Everyone asks about them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah this is a terrible thing to do for oncoming traffic. Retrofitting hella bright LED/HID bulbs into halogen housings creates a dangerous driving situation for people driving toward you in 2 ton death machines.

I also upgraded to the Morimoto LED housings, and they are superb. Great bargain for the performance and style they deliver. Everyone asks about them.

that’s an awesome kit. I was running the Yellow LaminX film last year and I had to remove it because I noticed the dirt had caked into the film with the heat with just the oem halogen bulbs. How is yours holding out?

·
Registered
115 Posts
that’s an awesome kit. I was running the Yellow LaminX film last year and I had to remove it because I noticed the dirt had caked into the film with the heat with just the oem halogen bulbs. How is yours holding out?
No issues, been on there for about a year now. I don't think the LED lights generate enough heat to cause that issue. I got them with the yellow bulbs, and yellow LaminX film protection option as well.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I installed these in my 2017 macan and noticed that they don’t activate when you are turning left or right like the halogen fog lights. So not really worth it in my opinion.
I was just reading up on the Morimotos (after properly searching the forum, of course), and came across your post. It's been three weeks now, and I'm surprised no one followed up on your comment.

Are you sure you're talking about the right situation? It's my understanding -- and of course, if my understanding of something is not correct, it won't be the first or the last time -- that what you're talking about is the "dynamic cornering light" system, not the fog lights.

If so equipped, the cornering lights work their magic as part of the main light cluster, and when the inside switch is set to Auto. Here's the relevant page from the Good to Know app:

IMG_0359.PNG

So, what you may be experiencing is that the cornering lights don't function when the cabin light switch is set to the fog light position.

I really don't know, but that's my thought here. My wife and I hardly ever mess with changing the Auto switch, because we've turned off the engine (once for each of us), reaching over there and twisting something (the wrong something, it turns out) counter-clockwise.

Anyone else care to chime in here?

·
Registered
115 Posts
You are close @wspollack, but that is in reference to the slight movement of the headlights once you get up to speed, and what I gather @Boomshakalaka is referring to is the little cornering assist lights that are built into the headlight housing, and come on at low speeds to illuminate sideways for entering side roads, driveways etc. Has nothing to do with the fog lights, but on some other vehicles, it's built into the fog light housings so maybe he thinks that's the case with the Macan as well, but it is not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You both are correct, I changed the fog lights to morimotos, then realized that the fog lights are not the cornering lights. So I changed the H11 cornering bulbs to whiter ones. There is a DIY on YouTube how to do it, just be careful not to break the tabs off the engine cover plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
This link no longer seems to work, but to confirm the closest match to the bi-xenon headlights would be the regular (5500K) model LED fog lights, and without the yellow LaminX film, correct?
I would say the morimoto LED fog lights are slightly bluer in color then the OEM Xenon headlight bulbs. But the spread illumination between the halogen and LED fog lights are literally night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
this could not have been easier, thanks... I bought fog lamp unit (OEM) for $85 online, arrived 2 days later, and took 10 mins to install. Thanks guys for the great advice!, super easy, and save $00's ( i veen saved the bulb from the previous unit) ... Now my only issue is the new fog-light looks new, do i replace the other side to match :-/ perhaps i shouldve just bought the 2 Halogen in first place.. !

·
Registered
2 Posts

To remove the stock light just bend a small hook on a clothes hanger, insert it in the small hole in the top corner of the fog light cover and give it a good yank. The cover is just held in with little tabs.

Remove the two screws using a Torx T25 driver then unplug the light from the harness by pressing down on the little tab.

Now that you have the harness plug exposed you have to figure out what the correct setup is for the wires. The Retrofitsouce said that they have had issues with Porsches and Audis where the wire colors did not match so they urged me to test it before plugging the wires into the black plastic adapter. So, with the car turned off take the wires and plug them into the end of the wiring harness. You have a 50/50 shot (unfortunately I lost both times). If you get it backwards it won't hurt anything, the lights just won't work.

After you've figured out which wire goes on which side then turn the car off again, disconnect the wires and insert them into the black plastic adapter in the correct orientation. They will go in just far enough that the weather seals just go up against the ends of the tubes.

You can then plug the adapter onto the wiring harness and position the light back in it's spot. Make sure the Morimoto name is right side up when you install them.

Install your screws, press the fog light cover back in place and you are all set.

The color match is excellent. They are just a little hotter than the bi-xenon headlights and have excellent cut-off on the top end to keep from blinding anyone.

Here is a collage of views on a dark road from within the car.
I know there was another thread that discussed swapping out the fogs for LEDs in general, but I thought this specific set deserved it's own thread due the complete ease of the mod.
The lense on one of my fog lights must have gotten hit with something because I found that it was shattered - although I could find no sign of impact. An OEM replacement was going to cost $121+shipping. After doing some research I stumbled upon this thread which discussed one option but didn't help with my shattered lense. I was discussing it with my friendly SA when he asked if I'd thought about the Morimoto lights. A little more research and I placed the order. They are $170+shipping for the set.
The previous thread mentioned having to dremel out the mounting holes a bit, but they must have fixed that because these bad boys went in with zero modifications.
Here is a link to the site where I ordered them: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...rimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-porsche-cayenne.html

The Morimoto LED units are virtually identical to the OEM units with a few notable exceptions. They have a polycarbonate lense and they have an aluminum housing instead of plastic. In general they actually feel like a higher quality unit than the OEM ones, much to my surprise. The grey hex screw on the back is the height adjust but I didn't have to touch it, they were perfect right out of the box.

To remove the stock light just bend a small hook on a clothes hanger, insert it in the small hole in the top corner of the fog light cover and give it a good yank. The cover is just held in with little tabs.

Remove the two screws using a Torx T25 driver then unplug the light from the harness by pressing down on the little tab.

Now that you have the harness plug exposed you have to figure out what the correct setup is for the wires. The Retrofitsouce said that they have had issues with Porsches and Audis where the wire colors did not match so they urged me to test it before plugging the wires into the black plastic adapter. So, with the car turned off take the wires and plug them into the end of the wiring harness. You have a 50/50 shot (unfortunately I lost both times). If you get it backwards it won't hurt anything, the lights just won't work.

After you've figured out which wire goes on which side then turn the car off again, disconnect the wires and insert them into the black plastic adapter in the correct orientation. They will go in just far enough that the weather seals just go up against the ends of the tubes.

You can then plug the adapter onto the wiring harness and position the light back in it's spot. Make sure the Morimoto name is right side up when you install them.

Install your screws, press the fog light cover back in place and you are all set.

The color match is excellent. They are just a little hotter than the bi-xenon headlights and have excellent cut-off on the top end to keep from blinding anyone.

Here is a collage of views on a dark road from within the car.

I can't believe how easy it was to swap these out. Twenty minutes start to finish.
Thank you! I followed your direction and photos and just finished my swap out! 2015 Macan S

41 - 60 of 64 Posts