Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there was another thread that discussed swapping out the fogs for LEDs in general, but I thought this specific set deserved it's own thread due the complete ease of the mod.
The lense on one of my fog lights must have gotten hit with something because I found that it was shattered - although I could find no sign of impact. An OEM replacement was going to cost $121+shipping. After doing some research I stumbled upon this thread which discussed one option but didn't help with my shattered lense. I was discussing it with my friendly SA when he asked if I'd thought about the Morimoto lights. A little more research and I placed the order. They are $170+shipping for the set.
The previous thread mentioned having to dremel out the mounting holes a bit, but they must have fixed that because these bad boys went in with zero modifications.
Here is a link to the site where I ordered them: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-headlight-fog-light-housings/morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-porsche-cayenne.html

The Morimoto LED units are virtually identical to the OEM units with a few notable exceptions. They have a polycarbonate lense and they have an aluminum housing instead of plastic. In general they actually feel like a higher quality unit than the OEM ones, much to my surprise. The grey hex screw on the back is the height adjust but I didn't have to touch it, they were perfect right out of the box.

To remove the stock light just bend a small hook on a clothes hanger, insert it in the small hole in the top corner of the fog light cover and give it a good yank. The cover is just held in with little tabs.

Remove the two screws using a Torx T25 driver then unplug the light from the harness by pressing down on the little tab.

Now that you have the harness plug exposed you have to figure out what the correct setup is for the wires. The Retrofitsouce said that they have had issues with Porsches and Audis where the wire colors did not match so they urged me to test it before plugging the wires into the black plastic adapter. So, with the car turned off take the wires and plug them into the end of the wiring harness. You have a 50/50 shot (unfortunately I lost both times). If you get it backwards it won't hurt anything, the lights just won't work.

After you've figured out which wire goes on which side then turn the car off again, disconnect the wires and insert them into the black plastic adapter in the correct orientation. They will go in just far enough that the weather seals just go up against the ends of the tubes.

You can then plug the adapter onto the wiring harness and position the light back in it's spot. Make sure the Morimoto name is right side up when you install them.

Install your screws, press the fog light cover back in place and you are all set.

The color match is excellent. They are just a little hotter than the bi-xenon headlights and have excellent cut-off on the top end to keep from blinding anyone.

Here is a collage of views on a dark road from within the car.

I can't believe how easy it was to swap these out. Twenty minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
LOL!!!! For me it will probably take 1 hour until I lose my patience and drive to the dealer for them to charge me $200 to fix the mess I made :eek:

@MarkInMd - They look great, however judging by some of your other posts 20 mins for you may take some of us others much longer. I am sure @MDJAK and @WHT TGR will agree.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha! The only way it could possibly take more than 45 minutes is if you fell asleep in the middle of it. Installs don't get much easier than this!

·
Premium Member
6,100 Posts
Who uses fogs? You cannot turn on the fogs on auto headlight setting. Right?

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Haha! The only way it could possibly take more than 45 minutes is if you fell asleep in the middle of it. Installs don't get much easier than this!

I guess I would fall asleep . Cause the 10 thumbs I was born with would get in the way :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Wow....great post. I'll be interested to see how well their color matches to the LED headlights. Might be my first mod.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
Nice mod! I definitely booked marked this thread for future use. Thank you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I was a kid all fog lights were yellow. Yellow helped cut through fog for better visibility. I notice now that all got white now. Is this change due to better lighting technology? LED's look awesome and I think MarkInMD's mod look amazing, this is how The Macan S should have come. What are forum members thoughts on yellow fogs verse LEDs? Reason I ask because on the GW Parkway we can get some nasty fog,it is gets dangerous and if not lit. Here is a question can Someone with a Macan Turbo(which has LED fogs) take some pictures like MarkInMD did so we can see a comparison between his Macan S mod and a Macan Turbo?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I heard that the theory on yellow is the longer wavelength can penetrate fog further, but test do not support this theory.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Much more important with fog lights than color is the vertical cutoff. The key thing is to light up the road without lighting up the fog. In the "old" days they mounted them low and tried to build reflectors to spread the light horizontally. It was only somewhat effective. With the LEDs you can see the absolute cutoff that really helps keep the light on the road. To answer @jzwu yes, you are correct. You cannot use the fogs in Auto, but once night arrives you switch them on and they are very nice. In addition you don't have to turn them off when you turn the car off - it's smart enough to shut them down. So, the Auto setting is really auto switch from DRL to headlights, but auto off is always in effect.

Reactions: jzwu

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A great educational guide as usual MarkInMd. Thanks!

Reactions: WHT TGR

·
Registered
6,128 Posts
wonder if they make replacements for the led fog lights that come on the turbo. they aren't nearly as bright as those.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 61 Posts