Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's an aesthetic thing and a matter of taste.

I'm not too bothered about either choice - our Macan Turbo has the model deletion option, and that for sure makes it easier to wax and, combined with the black Porsche lettering, gives it a very clean look. I also have black lettering on the 911 (which doesn't have the model delete option) and I like that.

What I don't really like are the silver model designations, they just look too busy and cluttered for me.

I remember a long time ago a friend of mine showed me a debadged E39 BMW M5 and I thought it was the perfect sleeper car. Then I got a factory M-tuned E39 530d and it was debadged and with no M symbols or anything else on it, and I loved that clean look.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Our Cayman designations should be getting removed today in prepping the car for STEK & Modesta application! They WILL NOT be going back on!
Hold up... while removing the “S” there must have been enough dirt in the adhesive that it rubbed down to the black on the bumper. He’s going to reattach it to cover it back up. The rub through is just a small dot but rather than messing with it we’re going for the safer option.
So I’m changing camps and doing a flipflop... no car should be debagged 😉

Its looking good for just the first stage of polish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't like the looks of names on the back of any vehicle... I'm thinking seriously about getting a Taycan but will delete the model name there also. I looked at one a week ago with "Taycan Turbo S" on the back end; it just seemed absurd to me. I like the cleaner look, and might opt out on PORSCHE on the rear end if that was an option also from the factory. (I will say that I find it interesting sometimes to see the Porsche model on the back-end of other cars that I see on the road, but I don't really care if anybody knows what I'm driving or not.) The only reason why I left my "Panamera 4" rear-end lettering on my special order 2018 E-Hybrid is that it had the very cool acid-green "halos" around the letters; if they didn't have that cool effect, I'd have omitted the model name altogether then, also, as I did on my 2019 Macan.

For fun, I was looking at a Ferrari FF/GTC4Lusso a year ago, and I asked the salesman if I could have all the yellow Ferrari shields/badges on the outside deleted if I order a new one (because I think the yellow badges look absurd); he said "of course" :) ... Other than those badges, there is no model name on the outside of Ferraris...

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are 3 kinds of people who opt to delete the model designation - 1) those that simply think the car looks better without the lettering; 2) those that are going for the sleeper look and don't want people to know they have one of the more powerful models and 3) those that want people to think they have a better car than they do - i.e. buy a base car and upgrade the wheels to make people think you have an S or better.

I have a base Macan and upgraded to the 19" sport wheels. I thought about deleting the model designation but I didn't want to be one of the people pretending to have a better car.

Now as to the discussion above linking model deletions and tatoos, I don't agree with Kim Kardashian on many things but I think she put it perfectly when she was asked if she had any tatoos... "You don't put a bumper sticker on a Bentley."

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are 3 kinds of people who opt to delete the model designation - 1) those that simply think the car looks better without the lettering; 2) those that are going for the sleeper look and don't want people to know they have one of the more powerful models and 3) those that want people to think they have a better car than they do - i.e. buy a base car and upgrade the wheels to make people think you have an S or better.

I have a base Macan and upgraded to the 19" sport wheels. I thought about deleting the model designation but I didn't want to be one of the people pretending to have a better car.

Now as to the discussion above linking model deletions and tatoos, I don't agree with Kim Kardashian on many things but I think she put it perfectly when she was asked if she had any tatoos... "You don't put a bumper sticker on a Bentley."
On many vehicles there are ways to determine the trim level outside of the badging.

As far as I’m aware, the macan caliper color tells you the trim level (other than PCCB option).

I simply prefer the clean and hassle free debagged look

·
Registered
19 Posts
The badging doesn't bother me at all. I keep it. What I take off or remove in the case of a license plate frame is the dealer sticker or frame. That is what bothers me not the cars name.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sticker decal from a dealer is the worst.. had to use a plastic scraper to get it off.

Debadging is hugely popular in Europe.. I'm pretty sure that look came over stateside from there and from a local I spoke to in Germany, people seem to do it to hide their wealth status. I find the look to be clean but the thought of debadging and having a change of heart and trying to get the badging back on perfectly aligned to OEM status frightens me. The same fear that prevents me from getting a tattoo, which I consider every so often.

For now, the matte black lettering on volcano grey will suffice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The badging doesn't bother me at all. I keep it. What I take off or remove in the case of a license plate frame is the dealer sticker or frame. That is what bothers me not the cars name.
Are there any Porsche dealers that put tacky dealer-name advertising stickers on the backs of cars that they sell? I've not seen this; I thought that Porsche dealerships were above doing that. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer-name advertising sticker on a Porsche. I don't see Audi or BMW or Mercedes "dealer-name" advertising stickers on the back of those vehicles, either. And I tell my salesman "no dealer-frame" for the license plate. But again, I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche on the street or highway with a dealer-frame license plate. I don't think that dealer advertising belongs on cars; they should pay the buyer a monthly or annual advertising fee for having their advertisement splashed on the back of any car that they sell.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So what's wrong with being proud of your car? Back in the day it was no visible door openers, hidden rear wheel openings, chopped tops, dagoed rear ends, dice on the mirror, Moon hub caps, permanent rock and roll AM always on loud music and stuff like that. Now it is being invisible so times change. It was kind of fun then, though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are there any Porsche dealers that put tacky dealer-name stickers on the backs of cars that they sell? I've not seen this; I thought that Porsche dealerships were above doing that. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer-name sticker on a Porsche. I don't see Audi or BMW or Mercedes "dealer-name" stickers on the back of those vehicles, either. And I tell my salesman "no dealer-frame" for the license plate. But again, I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche on the street or highway with a dealer-frame license plate.
I think most of the Porsche dealers here in NY use license plates frames with their name on it. My dealer uses black frames with their name in white letters on the bottom. I don't mind the frames.

There is one dealer network here that sells Mercedes, BMW, Lexus & Audi that still does the stickers. I bought a Lexus years ago from them and made sure they didn't put that sicker on.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Are there any Porsche dealers that put tacky dealer-name stickers on the backs of cars that they sell? I've not seen this; I thought that Porsche dealerships were above doing that. I don't think I've ever seen a dealer-name sticker on a Porsche. I don't see Audi or BMW or Mercedes "dealer-name" stickers on the back of those vehicles, either. And I tell my salesman "no dealer-frame" for the license plate. But again, I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche on the street or highway with a dealer-frame license plate.
Loeber Motors, Lincolnwood, Illinois. This dealer has a crest logo, like a family crest. Used on Mercedes and Porsche. For some, it is a badge of honor.

Another one is Motor Werks, Barrington, Illinois. This dealer has a round ‘MW’ badge, similar to Loeber Motors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Perhaps I got used to the no-badge style by looking at Porsche photos of the car, most of which do not have model designations. I liked that look as it was cleaner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really don’t care much about the color, or trim details. But my wife came home and said she saw a Macan with the lettering removed and the brand done discreetly in black. So I did my build with the logo in black in the light bar and no model designation. It looks pretty neat in the rendering. Then I looked through all the different options for it and they are all pretty cool!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, I'm going back to the dark ages and the C1 and C2 Corvettes (1957-1965) when Fuel Injection was the top of the line engine. There were more labeled Fulie cars out there than Fulie cars produced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Loeber Motors, Lincolnwood, Illinois. This dealer has a crest logo, like a family crest. Used on Mercedes and Porsche. For some, it is a badge of honor.

Another one is Motor Werks, Barrington, Illinois. This dealer has a round ‘MW’ badge, similar to Loeber Motors.
Maybe I should go to IL for my next Porsche and go to Motor Werks - my initials are MW. And I just Googled them and I swear I had a ring with my initials when I was a teenager that looks exactly like that logo! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
359 Posts

I looked at the Loeber website, where there's a video and I see their logo/crest on the back of a Mercedes, but none on the back of a Porsche. Do the people who think it's "a badge of honor" work for Loeber, or are they Loeber family members? I can't see wanting something like that... And I cannot see it on a $200k 911, for sure -- unless you're a member of the Loeber family, perhaps.

I don't think that dealer advertising belongs on cars; they should pay the buyer a monthly or annual advertising fee for having their advertisement splashed on the back of any car that they sell.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think that dealer advertising belongs on cars; they should pay the buyer a monthly or annual advertising fee for having their advertisement splashed on the back of any car that they sell.
I’m not a fan, either. My dealer has a plate frame, which I promptly removed at purchase. I also have model designation delete and black Porsche letters on my Midnight Blue Metallic BASE simply because I like the clean look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW I’ve been in to Loeber twice and the salespeople are super nice. I know a few people that buy or lease cars there and they’re very happy customers.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts