Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the motivations for model designation delete option and why one chooses that option

In the 718 world there are those that are embarrassed that they can only afford a 718 and not a 911 or that the 718 has been dogged as having an inferior engine and so chose to delete the model designation but not sure what the motivation is in the Macan

For myself I find the 718 to be a joy and love the mid engine platform and find it the perfect sports car and embrace my 718 but I guess not all feel that way

Thanks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I am trying to understand the motivations for model designation delete option and why one chooses that option

In the 718 world there are those that are embarrassed that they can only afford a 718 and not a 911 or that the 718 has been dogged as having an inferior engine and so chose to delete the model designation but not sure what the motivation is in the Macan

Funny how some are embarrassed of the 718. In S trim the current Cayman outperforms the last generation in every category except the exhaust note. I'd be proud to drive one and leave the badges on the car, but then again, it's a "free option" from Porsche and that in itself is rare...yeah leave them on!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
In California, there's been a long standing trend among enthusiasts to remove all lettering for a smoother, cleaner, uncluttered look. Plus, the car is easier to wax and detail that way. The cost or status of the car is immaterial, in most cases. Some folks may recall the 1970's trend to de-badge, de-chrome, and lower VW Beetle's to achieve the California Bug look. Perhaps the debadging trend here started with that. In other parts of the world, folks have different motivations.

The pre-facelift Macan, however, just doesn't look right with no lettering on the rear tail gate. Maybe total debadging might work on the post facelift model, with the light bar filling the void of the missing lettering.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts

For myself I find the 718 to be a joy and love the mid engine platform and find it the perfect sports car and embrace my 718 but I guess not all feel that way

Thanks
I don't get it at all . I want to know what passed me and I want the other person to know what passed him. I used to look at a model delete as though it was rear ended , repaired , and too lazy to put the designation on . Then I see this as a hypocrisy thing .. it's this idea that one can buy a 100+K car , take the badge off and thus become viewed as less pretentious .

. On one end of the spectrum there's the "look at me , look at me , look at me" guy renting a Lambo and flaunting it on his vacation (complete with pics on his instagram) and polar opposite of the person who makes the effort to be discreet .. all in an effort to project an image .

Just my biased 2 cents .

·
Registered
59 Posts
I feel it's a design preference for the individual. In the same way that designer brands make a variety of models; some bags/apparel have large Prada, Gucci or Luis Vuitton logos and emblems emblazoned on them while other models by the same brand have a more understated look. Similarly for a car, some buyers want the model designation clearly displayed while other buyers prefer not to have it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe that it started many, many years ago with the German cars (MB, BMW). There was such a choice of engines over In Europe for the identical car, so people buying the low end cars liked to have that fact not on display. People buying the top end also wanted the model removed to not attract attention.
It then became "a thing" over here and lots of people decided that it gave a cleaner look to the car.

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
I believe that it started many, many years ago with the German cars (MB, BMW). There was such a choice of engines over In Europe for the identical car, so people buying the low end cars liked to have that fact not on display. People buying the top end also wanted the model removed to not attract attention.
^^^ This. While true its easy to detail without all the letters, and I know that, and for some its cosmetic, you might find the majority is this reason. It's not about Cayman owners being embarrassed. No one is going to confuse a Cayman with a 911 with its huge rear end and massive rear tires.

No, its those worried about "appearances". Base owners don't want those who see the car to really know what it is anymore than those with the highest level trims want other owners to know whats really there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally not a fan of any lettering on a car. It first started with my Mercedes when the C started lifting and rather than replace it I just took off all the designation. Then, finally being freed of nasty emblems I realized what a PITA is was to keep nice. No longer does my wash mitt lose hair (wool) in the lettering, I don't need to polish inside the letters, don't need to clean wax or polish out of the lettering edges, don't have to worry about damaging one, the list can go on and on! I'm a fan of the minimalist look and I'm okay with pulling the lettering off my car and someone thinking it's only a base model, I know I didn't buy the base (other than the macan) for any of my cars and fortunately I'm the only one that matters.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Personally not a fan of any lettering on a car. It first started with my Mercedes when the C started lifting and rather than replace it I just took off all the designation. Then, finally being freed of nasty emblems I realized what a PITA is was to keep nice. No longer does my wash mitt lose hair (wool) in the lettering, I don't need to polish inside the letters, don't need to clean wax or polish out of the lettering edges, don't have to worry about damaging one, the list can go on and on! I'm a fan of the minimalist look and I'm okay with pulling the lettering off my car and someone thinking it's only a base model, I know I didn't buy the base (other than the macan) for any of my cars and fortunately I'm the only one that matters.
The letters are informational just as they are with a street address one's home , digits on a credit card , numbers on money . I wonder how many badge delete folks are also sporting a tattoo .

·
Registered
83 Posts
The letters are informational just as they are with a street address one's home , digits on a credit card , numbers on money . I wonder how many badge delete folks are also sporting a tattoo .
Not me! But If I did get a tattoo, it would be a better looking face over my current one! :ROFLMAO:

Funny you mention CC... They are now issuing cards without numbers on them!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
We kept our stock "Macan S" badging, but from detailing motorcycles, some with raised lettering, I'm with the folks who've noted that the letters are a pain to clean in and around.

Speaking of two-wheelers and raised letters, no one's mentioned DE- and RE-badging. I had a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter, and I thought the big plastic "S" in the front and the "Suzuki" decal out back were just too passe. So I performed the following changes to it, using a 3D badge up front and genuine OEM raised letters in the rear:

2009-09-03-11-01-59-resized.jpg

2009-09-04-13-20-43-resized.jpg

And, yep, really, I've had folks say to me, at assorted bike gatherings, "I didn't know Ducati made scooters."

(And for the record: no tats ... yet.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Our Cayman designations should be getting removed today in prepping the car for STEK & Modesta application! They WILL NOT be going back on!

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
And I wonder how many badge folks are sporting a tattoo? I don't think there's a correlation between the two!
Both have one thing in common .. appearance . (as @grim) states . I go the extra step and say its more than appearance . It's all about image . A tattoo wearing badge delete person shows an inconsistency . He's removing informational designation from display on his car while scribbling graffiti on his body and calling it art .

The opposite exists too where the person puts stickers all over his car almost like waving a flag to his car manufacturer .., again IMAGE.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts