Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up new 2018 Macan S yesterday. Ordered it without navigation, but with Connect. According to the manual, holding the voice control button at the end of a stalk should activate Siri when in CarPlay mode. It doesn’t. Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Try holding button for 1 second instead of a tap. Also, make sure Siri is enabled on the phone. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Yup got to hold it for 1 second then it will activate Siri. It took me a while to get use to it too>

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: not sure what is different, but Siri can now be activated using the voice control button. Interestingly, Siri activation is the only thing that this button can do. Pushing it when CarPlay is not operating produces a message that voice control is not available.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Update: not sure what is different, but Siri can now be activated using the voice control button. Interestingly, Siri activation is the only thing that this button can do. Pushing it when CarPlay is not operating produces a message that voice control is not available.
Without Nav, the stalk button will only activate Siri when ApplePlay is connected. With Nav, the stalk button can be used for different requests, using Nav system for generating the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I brought mine to the dealer since I couldn’t access Siri via stalk button even if held for long periods. They said that this is a $500 option which doesn’t make sense. I do have CarPlay and everything works , I just can’t get access to Siri via stalk button.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a separate voice command activation package which has been discussed here before. it is listed as a $0 opion on the build sheets but the dealers want several hundred dollars to activate it after the fact. the stalk should function for Siri (after holding for 1 second) but ONLY when connected to CarPlay. The button is non-functional otherwise if you did not get the voice control function from the factory or pay to have it turned on. --One more stupid software thing that should just be activated and not charged for when the proper hardware is already installed...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply Loki512. I just want to make sure I understand correctly as all I want to use the stalk for is to activate siri when connected to carplay and not voice commands. Are you saying that I still need activation package to do this? I tried holding it done for 1 second and more but no luck. thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine works with holding the button while in CarPlay. I do not have the voice control package activated (dont really care since most of them are garbage anyway). Yours should work with CarPlay. I would go back and double check the settings for Siri on your phone and double check the Porsche manual to make sure there isn't something in the PCM menus you have to do...

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my wifes 2016 does not have a stalk button. I would like to do the apple carplay retrofit with the carplay.technology box like the youtube videos show. How am i able to talk to the system or am i not going to be able make it work? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bummer. I figured thats what you would have to do. I guess its the same. You either push the stalk button or push your iphone button....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bummer. I figured thats what you would have to do. I guess its the same. You either push the stalk button or push your iphone button....
Yeah, I’m waiting to hear from my service advisor, they told me that the only way I could get the stalk button to work to activate Siri is to pay $500 for the voice control which seems to be bogus based on what I learned from this forum. I have CarPlay and I just can’t seem to get the stalk button to work no matter how long I hold it for .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you check your Siri settings? youshould have both buttons ched yes for " Press side button for siri" and "allow siri when locked".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just to add to this, my dealer is adamant the voice control button will not activate Siri in CarPlay in my 2017 Macan GTS as I do not have navigation. It's highly annoying though as it actually kicks me completely out of CarPlay. When navigating you lose your destination and have to reconnect to CarPlay - just by touching the stalk switch. I've tried escalating and was told this is normal for my car as I only have Connect option with CarPlay.

See video showing my car's behaviour:
New video by J M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts