Porsche Macan Forum banner

Tyres for front two wheels

11K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  95B3.6 
#1 ·
Hi

Any suggestion for the front two wheels?
My original are Continental 235/55/19, done 26000km, almost done.
Dealership said average is 20000km, 26k is very good already.
Don't know what should I do now, keep using the factory selected tyres? ( Dealership at North quota me $ 679 each and suggested wheel balance to been done $ 3XX.)
or change to Michelin Latitude Sport 3? which one better on handling?

Kind Regards

#3 ·
You might have bad luck changing the front two to something different than what you have on the back. I did that on my Boxster and the difference in tread caused PSM to freak out going around corners. I had to purchase new rears to match the new fronts I installed and the issue went away. You can try to replace just the fronts with some other brand and/or model, but be prepared to scrap your rears if PSM is not happy.

#4 ·
I was thinking the same thing, by putting a harder compound tyres at the front, but the dealership not suggesting to do that, because of the AWD system. So they said if you only go to change the front two, you can, but keep it in the same model.

#5 ·
Choice recently tested a number of SUV tyres (admittedly not the performance tyres or sizes as fitted to the Macan), but the Continental's on test came out best in most categories, so I would tend to stick with the originals.

Reactions: 95B3.6
#6 ·
I'm surprised you're replacing just the front. why not the back as well? I guess it depends on your driving, but I would think the back would go before the front. or did you already replace the back? If so I'd make the front match whatever you put on the back.

#8 ·
Don't really understand why folks buy a Porsche and skimp on tires. You need to change them as a set. Changing only the fronts or rears will upset the handling and result in unsafe driving. And it is not a joke.

#9 ·
Hi Guys,

I agree, the two things you don't skimp on is tires and brakes.

Have you considered the N0 (Porsche Spec) Pirelli PZero, these were the original ones which came on our Macan Turbo.
They did an amazing job on our Macan Turbo, got 23,000KM's and that also included a full year of Porsche Sports Series racing.....

They were similar price of around $680-$700 from the dealership, but was able to get a great deal from a reseller, direct shipped to our local dealership who were happy to fit and balance.
Ended up getting a full set of 4x for just on $1600 delivered, and they were fresh rubber too. Direct shipped from Pirelli Australia warehouse, from the DOT stamps they were only 6 weeks old from production to arrival to us. (need to be careful of some cheap places selling 12+ month old branded tires on the cheap, got stung once with tires that arrives that were close to 3 years old).

PM me if you want the details as so we don't breach any forum rules.

Happy New Years!!

Regards
Rod

#10 ·
After going through two sets of Michelin Latitude Sport 3 in 20K miles, I decided to take a chance and go with a lesser known off-brand tire which was available in 21" Macan fitment.

The brand is Atturo Tires and the model is AZ850. From the get go, the tire is much better handling than the Michelins, it will be interesting to see how it stands up to the test of time.

Road noise is much better than the Michelin, braking is very much improved and the car tracks straighter down the highway.

The tires are not N0-spec so this may offend Porsche aficionados, but I am very pleased so far. FWIW, shipped, mounted, new Porsche stem seals, balanced and alignment check came to $631.00 out the door (all 4 tires)

#12 · (Edited)
Keep us posted on your experience with this tyre. Never even heard of it, but I see some excellent reviews on consumer sites, particularly for their off-road tires, but also the AZ850. As long as it is Z rated, who really cares about N0, N1, N2. Don't have to be a slave to Porsche.

#11 ·
Wow, that's dirt cheap!

I just got new Mlchelin Latitude Sport 3 summer tires (19") N0 from tirerack and mounted and balanced locally for a total of $1400. They are better than the OEM Hankook N0 summer tires that came with my Macan.

Do you think your Atturo tires feel better than the Michelins because they are new and fresh? Otherwise, it is amazing that they are so cheap and yet so much better. That sort of things don't happen often. ;)

#14 ·
The tire argument again.....

An "N" spec only guarantees that the tire meets Porsche minimum and validated performance standards for that car for normal street operation and safety. It is more than just grip that is measured -- the standard also includes how the sidewall strength integrates into the suspension specification of the shocks and springs and how they function as a SYSTEM.

ANY tire manufacturer can submit a tire to that specification -- and so the big boys have done so. And the small manufacturers did not.

I appreciate someone else's opinion based on what they do know -- but I am frightened by what they don't. The true test will come in that unexpected emergency situation when that tire is tested to the LIMIT -- and whether it's quieter or not will not make a da** difference.

Porsche does not intend to make buyers a "slave" to their recommendations -- they're merely standing by the validation that they in fact HAVE tested that tire to the limit separate from the manufacturers themselves!

And I do think it's irresponsible to even suggest that any buyer should buy tires because they're CHEAPER!

I get my blood boiling on this subject because I have personally seen the result of cheap tires at the site of the incident. Has anybody else ever seen a wrecked Porsche where you have to put a "bio-hazard" sticker on the windows as they tow it away?

#15 ·
I am not sure about the Porsche N spec thing since I am not an expert on tires.

My take is I drive my Macan rather agressively so I wouldn't take any risk on tires. A month ago I had a near miss in the rain on a curvy freeway ramp. Thank God the Porsche traction/stability control saved the day.

The OEM summer tires were worn down after 13k miles at the time. If they played any positive role in the incident they saved me much angst and money. It would be well worth the extra money to get N spec tires, as I just replaced them with new N0 Michelin Latitude Sport 3 summer tires.

Ultimately, it's one's personal choice. No right or wrong here. Plenty folks have all season tires, if they never push the limits of the car/tires.

Reactions: Benz and WHT TGR
#17 ·
Porsche is one of the very few OEMs that undertake extensive tyre evaluations to ensure vehicle compatibility. This is done as part of the vehicle development process, unlike most OEMs that simply develop a car and then try and find compatible tyres at a price.
As an ex tyre designer and test driver I can tell you that there are many NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) and handling issues that can arise between different tyre combinations that are often very difficult to predict. This is even more true when you look to have different spec tyres front to rear. The differences can be not just tread compound, in fact more often it is changes in internal construction that will cause the difficulties.
These changes can result in substantially different and unpredictable handling (and NVH) issues.
Your Porsche dealer or your tyre dealer will not have the information to make recommendations that have any basis in empirical fact, as they will not have done the necessary testing - it is very expensive and requires considerable knowledge to do so. Similarly, Choice is not a reliable source of tyre information - their testing is not up to an industry standard and regardless, what gives a particular result on one car will not necessarily give the same result on another car.
Stay with the Porsche recommendations as the tyres are generally specifically designed for the vehicle (maybe the same tread pattern as you can get, but with different construction/compounds - hence the additional designations of N0, N1, etc).
This is something that I would not necessarily advise with most other OEMs where often better options are available, particularly with cheaper cars.

#19 ·
My friend and I were just talking today about how tire dealers never go broke . Now that further complexity has been added to tire purchases and it seems a belief that compatibility now is critical as well - business will continue to be profitable .

I don't think Porsche is that exceptional and I'd like to think compatibility is a issue only in regard to aggressive near limit driving on any car . I'm sure near the limit a expert would feel or experience characteristics they prefer.

At street speeds and for drivers that will never go past 5/10th's, the other considerations like price and durability matter a lot .

Or are Porsche drivers that exceptional ? I'm not interested in learning the hard way that I have incompatible tires but I will look at the Atturo brand.

So if I'm just a street roller does it really matter if one brand turns in better ?

#20 ·
Porsche is different from most other OEMs in the extent to which they consider the tyre as art of the overall tyre/vehicle system. This of course makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but it is a cost that most OEMs will not undertake.
In Porsche's case I suspect that this is probably a result of having such a strong background in rear engine vehicles and their associated inherent handling characteristics (rear weight bias, high polar moment of inertia, etc) that can lead to on the limit difficulties for untrained drivers - the tyres can help in the overall management of such issues. (For the record these characteristics are not all undesirable - but in experienced hands I suggest).
However it is not just about "turn in" and other handling characteristics, although finding out you have an issue when you make a sudden swerve to avoid an accident for example is not really the time to learn, as witnessed by MacWhte.
It is also, for example, about noise in the vehicle. One example of that I have experienced in Macan is on road surfaces with a large aggregate in the bitumen - this can lead to quite unbearable resonances in the vehicle - and in that particular case the Macan was quite undriveable as a result. Because this particular effect is not a tyre thing, but rather a tyre/vehicle interaction issue, there is no way of knowing before trying the tyres on that road surface. There may be no issue on one vehicle (even another Porsche model) but a major one on another.
Tyre testing is a very complex issue and testing is very time and resource intensive - as a result it leaves the consumer (and tyre dealers) with few good sources of independent information.
The tyre dealer is assumed by most consumers to have such knowledge and they feel they should, so will give an answer to most queries to get a sale and/or to try and help, but they only know from customer feedback (not reliable as not trained testers) or the tyre manufacturers (the main brands such a Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Dunlop, etc will generally know but they are hardly independent and do not provide info that does not show their product in the best light....of course!).
So where do you go? These forums and others are full of tyre advice and perceptions, but again from people genuinely trying to help but with no real knowledge, as they do not have the resources, knowledge or ability to undertake the required testing - regardless of how strongly they may present their views.
I have done these things at a very high level in numerous countries, trained many test drivers and tested with too many vehicles and tyre brands and types to mention and with most global OEMs. I have also actually designed tyres........and yet I cannot tell you with certainty what tyres will work on a Macan (or any car) trouble free without putting them on and actually testing under controlled conditions.
Just for the record, I have no association with Porsche or with any of the homologated tyre brands. Similarly Porsche makes no $ out of tyre recommendations per se (the Porsche dealer will though of course), its interest is making sure that Porsche customers have a great experience........so you buy another one!
So my advice is that unless you love to gamble, don't waste your time and $ - just get the best deal you can on a Porsche Macan homologated tyre and get out and enjoy a great car safe in the knowledge that it is not going to bite you when you most need it.
Hope this helps.

#21 ·
Fast_Eddie .

Thanks for your detailed reply with resume . Of course you hit a few points I had never considered .
I'm old enough now and maybe wise enough to know good advice when I see it .
I pick up my GTS in 4 days and have to decide on wheel and tire insurance my understanding is when there is a claim for one tire the replacement has to "match" specs so sometimes they replace all four.
I know if I was relocating to Aus I would buy it for sure . I couldn't believe how many times I curbed the rental car wheels when visiting .

#24 ·
MacanTurbo'd you make a statement that the Porsche warranty/extension is voided, how do you come to that conclusion, do you have something in writing from a dealership? Tyres are excluded from any warranty claim as are many other consumable components and I cannot see how they would affect any other failure other than maybe suspension components. Interested in understanding where you sourced your information.

#25 ·
Under Australian Consumer Law my consistent expert legal advice is that you do not void warranty unless the "modifications" that you have made have directly contributed to the warranty item under question. The ACL trumps anything Porsche or a dealer may advise.

Regarding N-spec tyres see my earlier posts in this thread for the facts.

#28 ·
Thanks Fast_Eddie, re the ACL that would also be my interpretation as well, however I will also contact the dealership and try to get in writing that it is allowable (to vary tyres), though I am sure they will try to scare me into only using the OEM Contis. Re the N-spec (and I did read and respect your detailed and experienced response) it certainly is a dilemma whether to "take a chance" on the Atturos or be safe in the knowledge the Contis are approved.

#27 ·
I think he tracked his Macan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.