Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
the CPO also extends the normal 4 year warranty by at least 2 years.
I'm looking at a 2011 Porsche, and they are still going to give me a 2 year warranty from the date of my delivery, should I actually buy another P car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Before I plunge into Macan S ownership, I'd like to know the costs associated with it. After browsing the web briefly, the maintenance does seem a little overkill and pricey for what seems to amount to just fluids, filters, and inspection. Is it okay to delay it a bit or is it mandatory? Anyways...

- Is there a chart available that shows maintenance intervals with what needs to be done or is it pretty standard 10k,20k,30k, etc? How much does each service cost?
- How much is a good estimate for pad & rotor change/resurface for front and rear.
- Would the warranty be voided if the maintenance isn't done per Porsche recommendation or at a non-Porsche service center?
- Does certified pre-owned car come with the maintenance done, including the wear and tear items such as brakes and tires?
- How can we verify non-certified pre-owned cars have had the maintenance done?

Thanks.
-jpv
My 2017 S just crossed 40,000 miles last week. Below is the complete tally of maintenance/service items performed, and their total costs.

6 oil/filter changes (every 7,500 miles); Mobil 1 & OEM filters. (all DIY)
1 36mm socket (to remove the oil filter housing)
2 Cabin Air Filters - Mann (DIY)
1 LubroMoly Jectron cleaner
6 OEM spark plugs (Indy shop)
4 Michelin Latitude A/S - 19", mounted & balanced
1 Automatic Transmission fluid/filter change (Dealer)

FYI - I have not performed the brake fluid flush/fill as I'm going to use the 2 year interval, NOT the 20,000 mile interval. And I'll perform it DIY, so the cost will only be brake fluid - $25-$50?

Total cost - $2,032

However, if you delete the new tires, mounting and balancing, the total cost is $920.

So for those of you deciding whether to pay Porsche for their maintenance service plans, I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info. For a 2017 you have a ton of miles! If you don't mind me asking, how much did the dealer charge you for the PDK fluid/filter change? That seems to be the biggest routine expense from what I've been seeing of what Porsche recommend. Also, are your brakes holding up fine? I've read reports on here that people are having to replace them around the 20k mark or even lower.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My 2017 S just crossed 40,000 miles last week. Below is the complete tally of maintenance/service items performed, and their total costs.

Wow -Pkaia, you drive similar to me in terms of miles per year. People think I'm crazy for putting that many miles on a great car, but I tell them it's smiles per mile...

As to jpg's question to the brakes, I can't comment on Pkaia's experience, but brakes are part of how you drive and where you drive. I tend to be on open rural country roads in Northern California whenever possible. The days of grueling traffic will wear the brakes more. Both cases, I tend to use my paddle shifters more than touching my brakes whenever possible. My mechanic is amazed of the break wear (lack of). I took my last car from 7k (CPO) to 47K in one year and still had good brake pads when I sold it for the Macan S.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great info. For a 2017 you have a ton of miles! If you don't mind me asking, how much did the dealer charge you for the PDK fluid/filter change? That seems to be the biggest routine expense from what I've been seeing of what Porsche recommend. Also, are your brakes holding up fine? I've read reports on here that people are having to replace them around the 20k mark or even lower.

PDK fluid/filter change was approximately $585.90. They took 10% off to be "nice", but I also had 2 tires balanced, so I'm thinking that was all a wash.

At 35,100 miles I replaced the tires. I was told at that mileage I had 75% life in pads/rotors. It all depends on driving style. I try and anticipate braking as much as possible so I slow down before red lights, etc, and try to brake as little as possible on turns/curves. In all fairness, 90% of my mileage is highway. I'm at 45K miles and I can start to see a slight lip on the rotors. I'm hoping to reach at least 80K before needing to replace them.

BTW, as for the cost of pads/rotors, I will probably replace with Porsche pads, but not rotors. I'm expecting the full cost of a set of pads/rotors to be in the $600 range. Work will be DIY.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Wow -Pkaia, you drive similar to me in terms of miles per year. People think I'm crazy for putting that many miles on a great car, but I tell them it's smiles per mile...

As to jpg's question to the brakes, I can't comment on Pkaia's experience, but brakes are part of how you drive and where you drive. I tend to be on open rural country roads in Northern California whenever possible. The days of grueling traffic will wear the brakes more. Both cases, I tend to use my paddle shifters more than touching my brakes whenever possible. My mechanic is amazed of the break wear (lack of). I took my last car from 7k (CPO) to 47K in one year and still had good brake pads when I sold it for the Macan S.

why buy this vehicle and not drive it?

My previous car was a BMW 128i 6MT. Changed front pads/rotors @ 85,000 and 161,000; rear pads/rotors at 122,000. I never engine braked to stop/slow down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got my customer option summary today. Scheduled Maintenance comes in at $2375.00 for 39 mo lease
Pays all basic scheduled maintenance for selected term. My contact told me he tells his clients to go for 2 years if you are going to do a lease pullback- might as well just pay for the 2 years. I think this price covers 39 mos. Might have to bite the bullet on this one. seems risky to go without.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Porsche Macan Service Schedule

10,000 mile Annual Service/Every 12 Months (whichever comes first)
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Complete Multi-Point Inspection
• $308.38
The dealer closest to me (Paul Miller, Parsippany NJ) charges $545 for that, and the price quoted at three local ASE approved garages were each under $150. Seems like a lot to spend for a loaner. In fact one of the three offers loaner cars but it's more likely to be a Camry versus a Cayenne. Plus I don't have to make two 30 miles round trips to the dealer.

Actually I ended up doing the last oil change myself, less than $60 for oil and filter, and I have the piece of mind knowing that it was done correctly, not that I expect everyone here to crawl under their Macan..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah with my gut -not fitting under car.. but you are probably right that I can get a better deal.
Just looking at the thread and an earlier post.. even if I get to 30,000 miles and pay for the items below- that would come to $1,794.64 vs. the $2375.00 quoted. ---but that assumes these numbers are right.- my Porsche ambassador told me he tells his clients to just do 2 years vs. the 39 months. that would bring the price down.-- doubt I would get to 40K (pasted below as well).

• $308.38

20,000 mile Intermediate Maintenance Service
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Complete Brake Fluid Flush & Fill; Complete Multi-Point Inspection Report; Replace Cabin Air Filter
• $689.57

30,000 mile Annual Maintenance Service
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Replace Spark Plugs; Complete Multi-Point Inspection Report
• $796.69

40,000 mile Maintenance Service
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Replace Cabin Air Filter; Complete Brake Fluid Flush & Fill; Replace PDK Filter and Oil
• $1610.50

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Yeah with my gut -not fitting under car.. but you are probably right that I can get a better deal.
Just looking at the thread and an earlier post.. even if I get to 30,000 miles and pay for the items below- that would come to $1,794.64 vs. the $2375.00 quoted. ---but that assumes these numbers are right.- my Porsche ambassador told me he tells his clients to just do 2 years vs. the 39 months. that would bring the price down.-- doubt I would get to 40K (pasted below as well).

• $308.38

20,000 mile Intermediate Maintenance Service
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Complete Brake Fluid Flush & Fill; Complete Multi-Point Inspection Report; Replace Cabin Air Filter
• $689.57

30,000 mile Annual Maintenance Service
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Replace Spark Plugs; Complete Multi-Point Inspection Report
• $796.69

40,000 mile Maintenance Service
• Full Synthetic Oil & Filter Service; Replace Cabin Air Filter; Complete Brake Fluid Flush & Fill; Replace PDK Filter and Oil
• $1610.50
As a quick rule of thumb, I would say plan on saving 50% or more off these prices at an indy shop here in the NYC metro area. Of course there will be significant variations, and assume you won't get a free loaner.

Reactions: PlayazClub

·
Registered
446 Posts
Call the service department and ask how much the 10k, 20k and 30k services cost. The prices listed are pretty much spot on for what Beverly Hills Porsche charges. When I was having my windshield replaced last month I asked how much my upcoming 40k service would cost and he said ~$1600

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
@17macan I would be willing to bet the cost of maintenance for the next four years would be at least $3200.00. This is based on the fact that I have over 20k on my car and have had the 10k and 20k service. The 10k was only $250.00 but the 20k was over $800.00. More likely to be higher that you live in the NY area which seems to have higher labor rates. Most likely putting routine maintenance at closer to $4000.00 if you do not drive over 10k a year.

You might want to join PCA as most dealer give discounts on parts and service if you are a member. Just to be sure ask your dealer. I joined and received a higher discount than the cost of membership.
We put down $3300 for 50,000 miles for our Macan, which the dealer said was 30% off current rates. Of course tires and brakes are extra. From what I’ve read here we might not need brakes that soon. Loaners are a nice bonus.

I can make this easy for you. If you want the dealer to do the maintenance for you buy the maintenance package as you lock in your expenses,
but if you will use an independent service, you will save money and do not buy maintenance contract. I bought maintenance contract as I intend to have dealer maintain car and I like getting a loaner. Only expenses I will have for 4 years are tires, batteries, etc.
We’ll use our local Indy for the Cayenne. He said we should figure a long term average of about $1000 per year for everything except tires.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am picking up my 2017 macan base next Wed. What can I expect my maintenance costs to be for the next 4 years. Debating if I should buy the extended warrantees. I know these are a money maker for the dealer.
Thanks
Congrats on your new Macan!

FWIW- I have a great local Indy here in PDX. Some of their techs came right from the local Porsche /Audi dealer. I have brought my cars to them for almost 10 years and their prices are half of what the P-dealer is and sometimes less than half. They use all OEM parts and guarantee their work. Yeah, I don't get a loaner but they are within walking distance of downtown, on the street car line from my condo, and never have my car for more than 4 hours. On the Macan, so far I have saved approx $1700 and with my 40K coming up and new brakes sometime in the next 15K , I imagine that savings to go up to near 3.5K or more. The quotes for both the 40K and new brakes are less than half of what I see people posting on these threads.

For extended warranty I use GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance. You have to have GEICO auto and put it on the car within a year or 15K miles( I think) but it extended the manufactures warranty from 4/50 to 7/100. Bumper to bumper coverage with a $250 deductible but its covers the air suspension etc so no brainer for me. It costs me $27 additional per 6 months.

YMMV but I am happy to use an Indy, especially when I know they know their stuff:D

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I paid 3 thou for 5/ 50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance plan when I bought my Macan S in March 2015 ( Happy 3 years BD lil silver rocket).
I believe it was a fair price. I rather service my first Porsche at the dealer instead of an Indy shop.
There are probably some good Indy shops aound but it is really a hit or miss here today gone tomorrow chance one takes. Just my.02.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I paid 3 thou for 5/ 50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance plan when I bought my Macan S in March 2015 ( Happy 3 years BD lil silver rocket).
I believe it was a fair price. I rather service my first Porsche at the dealer instead of an Indy shop.
There are probably some good Indy shops aound but it is really a hit or miss here today gone tomorrow chance one takes. Just my.02.
I hear ya and I think its important to do whatever one feels best doing. As for here today, gone tomorrow, my Indy shop has been in business since 1995 for Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Audi, and VW so I am not too worried about them being gone tomorrow. In fact, they have grown into a 2nd location on the other side of town. They are a huge operation with a state of the art 22,500 sqft shop.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I hear ya and I think its important to do whatever one feels best doing. As for here today, gone tomorrow, my Indy shop has been in business since 1995 for Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Mini, Audi, and VW so I am not too worried about them being gone tomorrow. In fact, they have grown into a 2nd location on the other side of town. They are a huge operation with a state of the art 22,500 sqft shop.
Agreed, and yes it does require an investment of some time to find the right Indy shop for you. But when you find the right one you will end up with a far more personalized experience than a dealer can provide. Often times you are dealing directly with the owner, versus at a dealer where the Service Advisor is far, far removed from the actual owners.

But there is no question that going to the dealer is the easiest, most simple way to handle it. But oh boy are you paying for it. And there is no denying that the Porsche loaner cars can be a nice perk.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agreed, and yes it does require an investment of some time to find the right Indy shop for you. But when you find the right one you will end up with a far more personalized experience than a dealer can provide. Often times you are dealing directly with the owner, versus at a dealer where the Service Advisor is far, far removed from the actual owners.

But there is no question that going to the dealer is the easiest, most simple way to handle it. But oh boy are you paying for it. And there is no denying that the Porsche loaner cars can be a nice perk.

Exactly, I deal with the owner directly who is a car guy through and through and well known and respected in the local car community. My local P-dealer has said they will match any price in town and I almost took them up on it. Ultimately I decided that my relationship with the Indy has been so good for so long that switching and going to my P-dealer just isn't worth it for a loaner. if I needed a loaner that would be another thing but I work for myself and have a very flexible schedule. Usually I bring my chocolate lab and walk home along the river. Takes about 45 mins and its a great walk. I can then Uber for $8 or take the streetcar for 2.50 when I go to pick it up a few hours later. Its a win anyway I look at it and I save so much money its ridiculous. I can afford the Dealer but my dad raised me to look for value and it has served me well in life.

Again, YMMV and there is no wrong answer. Only the one that works for you!

Reactions: Jshore
101 - 120 of 230 Posts