Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@yrralis1, forgive me if this has already been covered, but why not a '16 Boxster? There's still a good supply on dealer lots, including GTS, but I'm guessing they'll go fast.
I almost bought a spyder not long ago . If I was younger I would have but at my age I need a few more comforts with a daily driver .

Besides .. there are some improvements in the newer cars . Most discuss the technology but I have no interest in it . in fact I couid probably write an entire thread on the simplicity that i liked in the early Porsches . The improvents I do like are the upghrades PDK as well as manual gearboxes . Both have been improved. The steering is also improved .

Bottom line .. I am a sucker for new cars .

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have made a decision !!!! There are a lot of thoughts that went into it and I want to thank everyone who shared ideas .

So here goes --

Before I write off the 718 and have zero doubts I will do two things :

1) I want to drive a manual . The car I drove was PDK . It was the 991.2S which I tested that was a manual.

2) I will wait a few months to see if Porsche does anything to remedy the numerous complaints in both the auto journalist and consumer feedback on the 718. The car is so new and different that it's almost like a redesign rather than a refresh. . Usually a GTS version is not far away .

If I see anything hinting at 2018 improvement (or a GTS which impresses) I will read and maybe even take a chance and order one . I would have to be extremely convinced to pre order but its not out of the question.

If Porsche continues with the same 718 I will order a GTS Macan . That is of course unless a .2 refresh Macan for 18 gets mentioned . Then i will have to evaluate what's going to be different .

Usually these cars are discussed a few months before they actually arrive so i figure 2018 will be discussed within the next 6 months . That's about how long I am willing to wait . My warranty ends in 8 and my Boxster 6 months from now will be nearing 30K miles.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have made a decision !!!! There are a lot of thoughts that went into it and I want to thank everyone who shared ideas .

So here goes --

1) I want to drive a manual . The car I drove was PDK . It was the 991.2S which I tested that was a manual.

2) I will wait a few months to see if Porsche does anything to remedy the numerous complaints in both the auto journalist and consumer feedback on the 718. The car is so new and different that it's almost like a redesign rather than a refresh. . Usually a GTS version is not far away .

If I see anything hinting at 2018 improvement (or a GTS which impresses) I will read and maybe even take a chance and order one . I would have to be extremely convinced to pre order but its not out of the question.

If Porsche continues with the same 718 I will order a GTS Macan . That is of course unless a .2 refresh Macan for 18 gets mentioned . Then i will have to evaluate what's going to be different .

Usually these cars are discussed a few months before they actually arrive so i figure 2018 will be discussed within the next 6 months . That's about how long I am willing to wait . My warranty ends in 8 and my Boxster 6 months from now will be nearing 30K miles.

Great idea. That will give you a good amount of time to ponder new options as they become available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Great idea. That will give you a good amount of time to ponder new options as they become available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you . I am hoping that somehow Porsche figures out a way to do something with the 718.

But if they don't .. I've had white, silver, black .. so guess what GTS Macan color is next .. VOLCANO !!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

So here goes --

Here's a crazy idea...

Sell your turbo and order a 991.2S as your daily driver. Sure you will miss your turbo, however, you're probably not driving it much - and now you get to spend more time behind the wheel of what I suspect is your favorite Porsche model.

Use your Boxster top down for the specially perfect sunny and low humidity days. This will keep the miles down until you find the right car to replace it with. I'm sure there will be a 718 GTS in the near future, but in the interim you are enjoying an awesome car.

Crazy?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's a crazy idea...

Sell your turbo and order a 991.2S as your daily driver. Sure you will miss your turbo, however, you're probably not driving it much - and now you get to spend more time behind the wheel of what I suspect is your favorite Porsche model.

Use your Boxster top down for the specially perfect sunny and low humidity days. This will keep the miles down until you find the right car to replace it with. I'm sure there will be a 718 GTS in the near future, but in the interim you are enjoying an awesome car.

Crazy?
To sell my Turbo I'd have to really love the 911 which replaces it . The 991 Turbo S may have all the luxuries and even have a better suspension but will lose against a modded older turbo in a standing mile .

I cant bring myself to sell it .

I never forgot these days --
Pushing the envelope -- a mod buying frenzy geared towards safety and performance - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Look at the work that went into this car
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/161519-what-beautiful-engine.html

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
To sell my Turbo I'd have to really love the 911 which replaces it . The 991 Turbo S may have all the luxuries and even have a better suspension but will lose against a modded older turbo in a standing mile .

I cant bring myself to sell it .

I never forgot these days --
Pushing the envelope -- a mod buying frenzy geared towards safety and performance - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Look at the work that went into this car
What a beautiful engine - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource
Don't know how you ever will . We'll have to hold you down.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@yrralis1 I still think you are overthinking this. You don't like the new 718, but want to get out of your Boxster while the value is still there as a CPO. Go buy a Miata to scratch the convertible itch. It's a great car in it's own right. Top model fully loaded at full MSRP is only $32K. You would lose more in just depreciation on a new 718 over a few years. And Miatas are another community of rabid enthusiasts too so you might enjoy a different perspective. Only issue is it isn't real fast in a straight line, but that's not the point of them, and neither is your Boxster. But your 911 Turbo sure is when you feel like flattening your eyeballs.

Then, when Porsche releases the 6 Cyl 718GTS get back into another Porsche. I mean really, you will still have 2 Porsches, does it HAVE to be 3? I wish I had the problem that I can't select a 3rd Porsche model to make me happy.

And since you knew it was coming, you win FWP of the day!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know this has been discussed often here and apologize to the extent that this is redundant , but was about to order a gts and got some great recommendations on here but as the price Is creeping up to the 95k mark, wondering if I am making a mistake not just getting the turbo ? Has anyone driven both and can offer an objective opinion ? If they were the same amount of money ( I know the turbo is obviously more ) would most go for the turbo? I am not even sure the gts Is out yet anywhere though. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
We own one of each, but from from the first generation. Love them both, but there is a significantly bigger difference in the engines than most people (who just look at peak horsepower) think. Sounds like there is not as big a difference in the engines with the current generation.

If I were buying new today, I think I’d go with max power. Especially given because the competition is significantly more fierce versus four or five years ago. Compared to some competitors, the Macan is now down on power.

It is is true the GTS handles a bit better because it’s lowered, but it’s easy enough to lower a Turbo aftermarket, and both of our cars are now lower than the stock GTS height anyway.

Obviously the best solution is to drive both before committing, but that’s not always possible.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Not sure the answer, but the 2nd generation uses the same engine, so the displacement is the same, unlike the first gen. I was Turbo x 2 the 1st gen, now I might condsider the GTS with a tune of I was gonna order a second gen, as I like the GTS accents anyway.

Reactions: Arube1

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a 17 GTS and now have a 20 Turbo and while cruising the GTS is louder but once you hit the gas the turbo is much louder.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 17 GTS and now have a 20 Turbo and while cruising the GTS is louder but once you hit the gas the turbo is much louder.
I agree, my 18 GTS did seem to gurgle a bit more on normal stop sign to stop sign driving, however in full disclosure, I'm still in break in mileage and not driving as I normally would. Also agree that once I do push the pedal and get close to 5K RPM, i can certainly here the exhaust and pops clearly, despite having the Thermal glass option this time around. Once i'm able to pas 5K RPM, it will of course sounds and howl even more.

Having said that though, the HP/Torque pick up is 100% noticeable from my old GTS, same as the suspension/brake updates to the 2020 model. For me, the engine seems to operate more seamlessly and effortlessly. If I press the gas on the highway, I can easily get going to high speeds much easier, and RPM's are literally below 3KRPM when I glance down. For my old GTS, it seemed as though the engine had to try much harder and exert much more energy to get there...a lot of jolting and gear shifting to achieve the same output. Again, i do like the excitement and drama of sound/gears (my 911's have all been manual), but it w/o a doubt seems like an engine upgrade.

Will see if sound, power, and driving engagement continues as i imagine once i'm past the break in period.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts