Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You're not in a hurry in this case. I do think that the build process is so much a part of the experience. Especially since over time our tastes can vary and that gets captured.
Yep .. the warranty on the Boxster still has about 8 months and the miles are ok still . i do have some time .

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Having owned a Turbo and a GTS, I prefer the GTS. But if I wanted two of them, it would be Turbo and a GTS to mix it up a little:)
This was exactly my thinking but then every morning when my wife starts up the GTS I hear the exhaust note through the impact windows and its a reminder of why i love the car so much. For two years i heard her start the Turbo and now it's the GTS . What a difference !! the GTS exhaust note just blows away any Turbo engine Porsche I have heard . That even includes the new 991.2 sport exhaust.

When I drive the GTS it just feels so engaged with the road almost like a sport sedan .Even when compared with sport sedans like an M4 the GTS is more refined. In fact in low setting it sits on par with a few sedans .

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@yrralis1 - We may end up being a 2-Macan house and I've considered the Turbo quite a bit. The problem for me is that it'll cost $12k more than a GTS the way I want to equip it and I don't think I'll appreciate the power all that much.
My builds would be close in price . I see no reason to put sport exhaust on a Turbo because it can't sound like a GTS . I can knock off the metallic paint and a few things and put this car at 90K or so. The main thing is to have SC mated to the Turbo . Plus the Turbo does have a beautiful front fascia .
Also with the GTS one can really go all out with PTV and ceramics and make this thing a nimble monster .

The fact that the Turbo base price costs more actually works on ones perception . It's the flagship of the model line . That creates bias. .
It's purely psychological to feel like the most expensive has to be the manufacturers idea of its best foot forward . The lower priced car faces a stigma. I am gradually overcoming it and examining these cars for what i believe is the real essence of driving .

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Not even a thought?

I actually disliked the Panamera till this iteration. And I'm not sure that I like it as much as I think I like it or if I'm just blown away by how much they improved it. I view the Macan as a permanent part of the stable because I will always need some utility. I had envisioned 5 years from now pairing it with a 911. But I'm 55 now and at 60 this iteration of the Panamera, better supports the lifestyle I'll pursue. It's the harsh reality of it. Can't say what i'll do for sure but that it's even a consideration speaks to just how well they did.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
This was exactly my thinking but then every morning when my wife starts up the GTS I hear the exhaust note through the impact windows and its a reminder of why i love the car so much. For two years i heard her start the Turbo and now it's the GTS . What a difference !! the GTS exhaust note just blows away any Turbo engine Porsche I have heard . That even includes the new 991.2 sport exhaust.
I know you have mentioned this before, and the last time I drove the Turbo and GTS back to back (both PSE and SC equipped) I specifically listened for it, including standing behind the cars while someone else revved the engine. Yeah, I'm a bit hard of hearing from listening to too much loud music :), but I can't say there was much difference if any in the exhaust note between the two cars (and I was specifically listening for it). But I didn't do back to back cold starts...maybe that's where they differ?

I wonder what's different in the exhaust systems. I've been under both in the dealer service department and they appear to be identical, although obviously I didn't look in detail. Maybe the exhaust manifolds and/or cats are different? The pipes look identical in size despite the 20% larger cylinder displacement in the Turbo.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow, I went back and forth and back and forth between the two before ordering a Turbo. Unless someone has unlimited funds, I'm surprised to hear that someone would really consider buying both as I don't think the difference between the two is that huge. After driving them back to back and flogging them really hard, no question the GTS is the better handling car, but (other than the difference in ride height) you don't notice that much of a difference until you start pushing both cars really hard. I found the extra power in the Turbo intoxicating, and having the absolute best handling Macan is not that critical for me as when I feel like playing Rodney Race Car Driver I take the 911 out of the garage.

Not trying to knock the GTS in any way as I almost ordered one myself. And then of course there's the significant price difference. Also I'm lukewarm regarding the "lowered look" of the GTS, but admittedly it seems I'm in the minority on that issue.
+ 2 on the lowering.

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Not even a thought?

I actually disliked the Panamera till this iteration. And I'm not sure that I like it as much as I think I like it or if I'm just blown away by how much they improved it. I view the Macan as a permanent part of the stable because I will always need some utility. I had envisioned 5 years from now pairing it with a 911. But I'm 55 now and at 60 this iteration of the Panamera, better supports the lifestyle I'll pursue. It's the harsh reality of it. Can't say what i'll do for sure but that it's even a consideration speaks to just how well they did.
The new Panamera is the best Panamera to this date. The problem is that if I crack 100K to buy a car it's going to be a 911 . Plus I have no need for a passenger car of this nature . I do feel that one day as an older person I may face difficulty getting in and out of sports cars . That's when a panamera might be a real idea for me.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I wonder what's different in the exhaust systems. I've been under both in the dealer service department and they appear to be identical, although obviously I didn't look in detail. Maybe the exhaust manifolds and/or cats are different? The pipes look identical in size despite the 20% larger cylinder displacement in the Turbo.
The technical differences @alex_c dug up and explained . http://www.macanforum.com/forum/ordering-features-questions/115105-what-makes-gts-different.html

I clearly hear the differences and it's not that the turbo is bad . It's not even a deal breaker to have a less pleasing exhaust note . It's that the GTs sound is phenomenal .

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
As much as I love my Macan, I would NEVER consider having 2 in my garage. I can think of a dozen other cars I'd rather have vs a second Macan.

We (wife and I) talked about this today . The idea of losing the Boxster and the fun we have with a convertible roadster would be missed . Living in Florida we really love having this car . The thought of paying as much as a Macan Turbo to buy a 718 ( which is such a disappointment) is just not happening . Now there is the hope that Porsche might actually try and do something to fix the 718 .

The objective is to stay within 100K if I am keeping my 911 Turbo and parking this car outdoors to become my daily driver . The advantage of the Macan GTS or Turbo is that I can give it to my wife when hers is ready to go. She's already at 6K miles and we got the car in April . i drive much less than her.
In short -it buys me time and it buys Porsche time to upgrade these newer models . It also gives my 911 Turbo more time to age .

Then I have this momentary thought of getting another 911 . I did this once before and it was just silly. Two Macans make more sense than two 911's.

Then I think outside of Porsche . Perhaps an M4 .. nah . Perhaps an Audi.. nah . Perhaps a Corvette or GTR .. nah . Perhaps a used 911 .. maybe . Perhaps just keep my car longer .. so far its been the case .

I am just so bummed about the 718 .
I cant think of anything which tops the Macan .

·
Registered
296 Posts
U can get ur boxster extended warranty if u can't find the perfect replacement, no? Or u just want a new car. Maybe it is time to knock on Jerry Seinfeld's door to see what are the next batch of Porsche collections he is going to sell. I am sure u can find one gem there. :D i would love to visit Mr Seinfeld's Porsche garage, must be nice. Too bad he is not on this forum.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
U can get ur boxster extended warranty if u can't find the perfect replacement, no? Or u just want a new car. Maybe it is time to knock on Jerry Seinfeld's door to see what are the next batch of Porsche collections he is going to sell. I am sure u can find one gem there. :D i would love to visit Mr Seinfeld's Porsche garage, must be nice. Too bad he is not on this forum.
I am not that worried about the warranty . Although when it expires it does make the car less desireable as a trade in . Right now with 23K miles, new tires and clean condition .. it's desireable to get a CPO and would leverage trade in negotiation if only the 718 had been a winner. Usually when Porsche releases a new model it's the next step and much of the time its an improvement .Unfotunately this time it isn't .

So instead of looking forward to a more exciting new Boxster I get to watch my current Boxster begin to show its age , require more maintenance , and somewhat stagnate my driving experience . It's not a big deal if the car is a garage queen but a daily driver is really needed and used all the time . Thus my attention is turned to what's next if not the 718 .

I do have time . However ordering a car also takes some time .
So far nothing has topped the Macan at the price level .

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
"So far nothing has topped the Macan at the price level ."

I 100% agree. Although my daughter expressed concerned that if I use the "value" argument to explain the "Porsche" people will think I'm crazy. And yet it's exactly the case that I think it an unbelievable value. Especially the GTS in my case as they've bundled it standard with almost all the options I want.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
The technical differences @alex_c dug up and explained . http://www.macanforum.com/forum/ordering-features-questions/115105-what-makes-gts-different.html

I clearly hear the differences and it's not that the turbo is bad . It's not even a deal breaker to have a less pleasing exhaust note . It's that the GTs sound is phenomenal .
Isn't the reduced exhaust back pressure simply referring to the fact that PSE is standard on the GTS? And when he says the Turbo does not have the natural sound amplification that the GTS does, isn't that just referring to the fact that PSE is not standard on the Turbo?

My understanding is that the 3.6 is the same basic engine as the 3.0, but with a longer stroke. Sure, that means that some of the internals are going to be different, and one would think that just the change is the camshaft would make the GTS sound a bit different, especially at idle.

Again, comparing the Turbo (with PSE and SC, and both turned on) back to back with the GTS (with SC, and with both PSE and SC turned on, so it's truly apples to apples) I don't hear any significant difference, even though I expected to, simply given the Turbo's significantly longer stroke. Just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@yrralis1, forgive me if this has already been covered, but why not a '16 Boxster? There's still a good supply on dealer lots, including GTS, but I'm guessing they'll go fast.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Isn't the reduced exhaust back pressure simply referring to the fact that PSE is standard on the GTS? And when he says the Turbo does not have the natural sound amplification that the GTS does, isn't that just referring to the fact that PSE is not standard on the Turbo?
From what I've read, an S+PSE and Turbo+PSE does not sound like a GTS. There were some comparison videos on youtube when the GTS was first available.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
From what I've read, an S+PSE and Turbo+PSE does not sound like a GTS. There were some comparison videos on youtube when the GTS was first available.
I saw the videos, and didn't really want to rely on them as there's no way to know if the sound recording equipment or volume settings were similar, if the microphones were in similar locations, or if the acoustics of the locations were the same. And no matter which exhaust sounds you prefer, none of them do more than a mediocre job of duplicating what you hear live. A recording of my 996 with PSE really doesn't sound very good at all. It needs to be heard live.

Finally I've learned over and over again on this forum that opinions are subjective, even though they may have the best of intentions.

That's why I took the time to listen in person back to back. Even though I say I could not detect much of a difference if any, my opinion is no less subjective versus the next person's, and the next person might completely disagree with me.

If you are debating between a GTS and Turbo, and this issue is significant to you, I would strongly suggest you find a dealer that has both cars in stock and do what I did.

One more thing to mention. Several members with PSE have noted that the sound of their exhaust systems changed (for the better, in their opinions) over the first few thousand miles, so you likely want to keep that in mind too.

Reactions: Jammer

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

He was comparing the PSE to PSE fitted to both . The induction system , suspension tweaks, throttle map .. they are different cars . Both are great . One is more luxurious, powerful. and comfortable,,, the other is more raw, tuned and edgy. Both are great .

21 - 40 of 57 Posts