Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am warming up the idea of two Macan cars . I hope it can be avoided . There has to be something better but there isn't . As I hang on to my Boxster I realize that the 718 is not going to happen for me.

I did inquire about a 991.2 Turbo S with the idea of selling two cars to get it . I know one day I'll replace my 911 turbo but i drove it today and i cant bring myself to do it . Two Macans make more sense than two 911s .
M4 is out, base 911 is out , 911S CPO cab is out , and that leaves the sickening decision of the possible GTS VS Turbo Macan .

Just the thought makes he hold my Boxster longer but i know it's inevitable . there is this glimmer of hope that Porsche does something to improve the 718 but it's fading .

So .. what will i do when i like both ? Some might say "well you already have a GTS" . Not so fast .. I will miss the amazing exhaust note ,tweaked suspension and throttle response if i get the Turbo . In return I get the awesome front fascia of the Turbo and the extra Hp . It might not be enough . If this was a first Macan I would pick the Turbo . But it's not . It would be my 4th and two would be side by side . I am even running out of colors :D

First Macan was white , then rhodium, now jet back metallic . I lean toward volcano if a GTS and flat black if its a Turbo .I am really split on this and that's how i know how much i like both .

I just hope Porsche does something to help the 718 .
When in doubt .. buy nothing .
Who knows.. Maybe they will offer a Macan Turbo S or do an early refresh and confuse me further .

So I just wait.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well right now the 2016 Turbos are seeing 10-15% discounts up here if you can find a lot car that has what you want.

The Panamera is beautiful.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Well right now the 2016 Turbos are seeing 10-15% discounts up here if you can find a lot car that has what you want.

Where is "up here"? Wish more forum members would post their locations :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
What are you debating? Getting another Macan or getting rid of the GTS for the Turbo? I think you should just face the fact that you have automotive ADD and start doing 24-monh leases on these cars.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you debating? Getting another Macan or getting rid of the GTS for the Turbo? I think you should just face the fact that you have automotive ADD and start doing 24-monh leases on these cars.
My Boxster S is almost 4 years old . The 718 was original candidate for its replacement . I test drove it and did not like it. My car is still running well but I am just looking ahead to the somewhat near future . The idea of two Macan cars is not out of the picture and if it comes to that then it's a GTS Vs Turbo decision .

I thought my post was relatively clear .

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

They are discounting the 16's here too . The lowered price is even on their website . Even when I needed a car the dealbreaker on those lot cars was the lack of air suspension and sport chrono (I view both as essential on a Turbo) . Plus they are one model year old so the discount is really just a market value based on an untitled (new) car which aged one model year on the dealership lot. Even at that time I chose a 17 GTS over an ill spec 16 Turbo. There are enough must have options on a GTS that even a modest spec car seemed more appealing to me. The fact that I dont need a car yet and have plenty of time gives me the chance to think it through .

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh life's dilemmas...how does one make such a decision?? The hardship!! I can barely sleep at night with these choices weighing on me, please forum, help me get thru this...
Actually I wasn't asking for an opinion or assistance . I have owned both cars . I feel the purpose of my post was to show that with all the "GTS Vs Turbo" debates that one is capable of liking both equally . It shows that when an either/or scenario is presented the decision isn't as easy as was reflected in those debates . The second purpose of my post was to show that I feel the Macan is such a good car that I am not closed to pondering two of them.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Larry, I'm not surprised by your post at all.

As you slightly danced around, I truly believe the answer is to wait for the Turbo S. That will satisfy all cravings I believe.

Either that, or the cobb tune will make your GTS as quick as a Turbo perhaps.

What I did to satisfy the craving is lower my Turbo. Having never driven a GTS, I can't say it's now the equal in handling. What I can say is it seriously improved the handling, made the car corner much flatter and feel much more planted than it was.

I traded my Original S for that reason, I wanted PASM, felt it leaned too much in corners. While the stock Turbo with PASM and AS was a big improvement in that department, lowering it was equally as big an improvement.

See if this is a decent analogy. I am an electronics buff, former audiophile, current videophile, etc. I actually am disappointed when I walk into a Best Buy, even with their Magnolia Theater now, as they have nothing better than I already have. That's the case with my Turbo. Right now, it presses every button for me. The only thing it's missing is adaptive cruise. Now that I've experienced it in my wife's new Lexus, I see it is a great safety feature. But I'm not really a cruise guy. Yes, in bumper to bumper traffic it's great. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you slightly danced around, I truly believe the answer is to wait for the Turbo S. That will satisfy all cravings I believe.
@MDJAK

I am not sure if Porsche will release a Turbo S . Usually they do so it's a wait and see . even if they do I would wonder if will have some of the GTS characteristics (which i like) or will lean more toward being an ungraded turbo (which i also like).

I don't feel the need to make my GTS faster as much as i feel the desire to have the Turbo become more raw . Compared to my 911 Turbo in terms of straight line speed both are not fast. Comparing it to any other SUV however they are fantastic ,

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Oh, and I need a ride in your 911, real badly.

Cause my Macan is by far the fastest car I've ever been in. ( I think faster than the wild hair raising ride I took in my daughter's Sti). And I want to experience even more speed. Would love to experience the ludicrous mode in the Tesla.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They are discounting the 16's here too . The lowered price is even on their website . Even when I needed a car the dealbreaker on those lot cars was the lack of air suspension and sport chrono (I view both as essential on a Turbo) . Plus they are one model year old so the discount is really just a market value based on an untitled (new) car which aged one model year on the dealership lot. Even at that time I chose a 17 GTS over an ill spec 16 Turbo. There are enough must have options on a GTS that even a modest spec car seemed more appealing to me. The fact that I dont need a car yet and have plenty of time gives me the chance to think it through .
You're not in a hurry in this case. I do think that the build process is so much a part of the experience. Especially since over time our tastes can vary and that gets captured.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Wow, I went back and forth and back and forth between the two before ordering a Turbo. Unless someone has unlimited funds, I'm surprised to hear that someone would really consider buying both as I don't think the difference between the two is that huge. After driving them back to back and flogging them really hard, no question the GTS is the better handling car, but (other than the difference in ride height) you don't notice that much of a difference until you start pushing both cars really hard. I found the extra power in the Turbo intoxicating, and having the absolute best handling Macan is not that critical for me as when I feel like playing Rodney Race Car Driver I take the 911 out of the garage.

Not trying to knock the GTS in any way as I almost ordered one myself. And then of course there's the significant price difference. Also I'm lukewarm regarding the "lowered look" of the GTS, but admittedly it seems I'm in the minority on that issue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
@yrralis1 - We may end up being a 2-Macan house and I've considered the Turbo quite a bit. The problem for me is that it'll cost $12k more than a GTS the way I want to equip it and I don't think I'll appreciate the power all that much.

Having watched your threads, I agree with @MDJAK. If a Turbo S gets released, I see a depreciation bath in your future on whatever you're holding onto now so perhaps some deep diving research on the probability of a Turbo S is needed. If there's even the slightest chance I say wait. Given the success of the Macan and its price point, I could see a Turbo S coming out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Having owned a Turbo and a GTS, I prefer the GTS. But if I wanted two of them, it would be Turbo and a GTS to mix it up a little:)

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Wow, I went back and forth and back and forth between the two before ordering a Turbo. Unless someone has unlimited funds, I'm surprised to hear that someone would really consider buying both as I don't think the difference between the two is that huge. After driving them back to back and flogging them really hard, no question the GTS is the better handling car, but (other than the difference in ride height) you don't notice that much of a difference until you start pushing both cars really hard. I found the extra power in the Turbo intoxicating, and having the absolute best handling Macan is not that critical for me as when I feel like playing Rodney Race Car Driver I take the 911 out of the garage.

Not trying to knock the GTS in any way as I almost ordered one myself. And then of course there's the significant price difference. Also I'm lukewarm regarding the "lowered look" of the GTS, but admittedly it seems I'm in the minority on that issue.

+ 1 re lowering . Glad we all have choices .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 57 Posts