Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have this same momentary hesitation on my '16 Macan Turbo under very light throttle at around 2k rpms. Haven't brought it up to my SA yet. Will wait 'til I get the fuel line recall done.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I actually argued with the chief tech at the dealership, and even went for a few extensive drives. Guess what.....everytime when I duplicated the 'stumble' he said it's normal, but would kinda evade answering the question. However when he was driving, he never feathered the throttle ESPECIALLY around that RPM range.....Looks like he knew very well the 'stumble', and is trying to hide it.

As mentioned before, the stumble is more pronounced when timing is more advanced; engine running lean is also a contributing factor. I had a car that was doing the exact same thing just before 2000 RPM...I literally played around with the air-fuel mixture and the timing, and tuned it so the stumble went away!

·
Registered
291 Posts
It is the transmission regardless of how you shift the Macan. It may only impact a few, but it is very tiring to drive in stop and go traffic. I have to be especially careful when pulling into my garage. And it is not the stop.start or hill holder features. They have an entirely different feel. I have called Porsche about this and they simply don't have an answer. As I mentioned before, it has come to their attention and surmise that the next version of the Macan will have a torque converter standard or as an option. Meanwhile, I am waiting to trade my Macan for the new Audi Q5. The Macan is a great vehicle, but I am tired of the lurching. The good news is that it appears that many owners have not experienced this so it could just be an anomaly.

PS. I drive a lot of different types of vehicles and none have shown this type of problem except the 2000 era Volkswagen diesels with an automatic. Makes we wonder if the same engineers/technicians are now working on Macans.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts

The stumble will occur in all modes and all gears including when in manual. But like many people has reported, it will only happen when accelerating slowly, certainly never when on boost.
At first I thought it was the PDK but since it also occurs in manual I have pretty much ruled that out. Anyway, it will be difficult to get any fix for this problem as Porsche dont even acknowledges that it exists. Maybe they dont know of forums like rennlist, 6speedonline and macanforum either :)
Hold on. The only time u should see 1500 to 2000 rpm is in 1st gear. In a higher gear, that is called lugging the engine in my book, and bad things can happen when u do that in a machine built for performance. In 1st gear, is the only time mine sees that engine speed. I downshift when slowing in traffic or for a reptiles or stop sign to keep reeves up. I never use the dumb Auto Stop/Start or coast function, and don't want the PDK shifting up to 5th gear at allow speeds. I try to cruise at 3000+ rpm, shift manually to đo that, and my engine is always eager to go when I hit it. Maybe Porsches make for lousy driving appliances for folks who just want everything automatic and slow. I have to pass those kinds of folks every day. If I feel sick and don't want a spirited drive, we have a 2015 RX350 in the garage that drives soft and wallows. It's wifey's car but I use it for low spirited occasions and for driving in bad weather. Please don't tell her but for me its our beater.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
I doubt anyone here drives in more traffic than me, as it is basically nonstop in Hawaii. I never have this problem. I use ACC/PAS on my commute and it is smooth and stable. Only problem I have is I wish ACC had a closer setting, as even on the closest it leaves room and people cut in. When that happens the brakes sometimes hit hard to react. When I do drive while using the throttle directly, I still don't have this issue. I would suggest pushing the issue at the dealer, or if possible find another. If this was a widespread problem, I have to think many more would be complaining here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
To @Rollep and others with stumble, I too have it and can't remember when I first noticed it, but at 10,000 mile service I had service tech with me for a drive and of course nothing happened. It only occurs around 1700 RPM in auto mode, with a light throttle, and in 1st or 2nd gear. There is no stumble in manual mode.

For me, not a deal killer, as I've come to accept it rather than get all worked up over it. (There are only 3 choices in life - accept situation, change situation or remove yourself from situation. Moment of Zen now over.)

Thanks for mention above @WHT TGR but I think you meant @big al, my evil twin. ;)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The Porsche pdk is tons better than the drive by wire transmissions I used to have,ie; 2004 Saturn Vue.When I slowed for a turn the hesitation to get back to speed was ridiculous.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
To @Rollep and others with stumble, I too have it and can't remember when I first noticed it, but at 10,000 mile service I had service tech with me for a drive and of course nothing happened. It only occurs around 1700 RPM in auto mode, with a light throttle, and in 1st or 2nd gear. There is no stumble in manual mode.

For me, not a deal killer, as I've come to accept it rather than get all worked up over it. (There are only 3 choices in life - accept situation, change situation or remove yourself from situation. Moment of Zen now over.)

Thanks for mention above @WHT TGR but I think you meant @big al, my evil twin. ;)
I did sorry. 0:) and >:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread but my 2017 Macan GTS has recently started doing this hesitation. Very annoying since it only has 30,000km( 20,000 mi). It is definitely not a transmission issue since it will happen in second gear but only when slowly accelerating in traffic. It feels like a spark miss or a fuel "cough". It did happen a bit on an Audi S4 with 200,000km.
I just wondering if anyone has had any luck with Porsche cause I know what they will say when I bring it in. "all is normal".
I will definitely mention it to them however.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Marc, I know this is a stab in the dark, but any chance you are not using Top Tier fuel? I had a Cayenne that had the same exact issue every time if I stopped using Top Tier fuel. I was able to get rid of the problem with a couple of tankfuls of Top Tier fuel and a bottle of Techron. A couple of years later my Ex was using the car and I did not realize she was regularly using non Top Tier fuel. I successfully used the same solution again and the problem never returned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve just had a new transfer box fitted (under warranty) on my 2016 18,000 mile diesel S. it has not however solved the two second delay I get when prsssing the accelerator from standing/stationery. The car jolts and clunks forward then takes about two seconds to produce any power. Entering and crossing busy junctions is a bit like Russian roulette. Much of my driving is around town and it’s starting to really wear me down. My OPC dealer says this is a normal characteristic of the car. I can’t believe that a high performance car manufacturer such as Porsche would design an engine/gearbox that behaves this way. I’m at the end of my tether and seriously thinking about selling the car - which would cost me a lot money. I’d give anything to be able to safely and comfortably pull away in it. Can anyone advise me of any modifications they have had done that has solved this problem. I firmly believe the ECU has been altered to provide lower emissions and in the process it has altered the cars original performance/factory settings. I thought I was buying a high performance vehicle - when in reality I’ve just got an expensive liability. Any ideas/mods most welcome. I’m even prepared to invalidate the warranty if it just removes this delay/hesitation.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Take it to another dealer. I think your current dealer is giving you the run-around. My 2016 Turbo had a transfer case replaced & I had no problems on acceleration after that.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts