Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm another proud owner of a Macan Turbo, have owned it for close to a year now and love it. However there is one thing that annoys me, so I ask the great people of this forum if you experience the same as I do.
The thing is that when I accelerate slowly, typically slow city/highway driving when you accelerate with low pedal. Every time the engine RPM passes ca. 2000 RPM there is an annoying hesitation before it continues and then shifts gear. It is especially noticeable in sport mode when in first gear before it changes to second.

I will like the rest of you shortly take it in for the fuel line fix and then I will ask the mechanics to "reflash" all the engine/PDK software to see if that helps.

Anyone who experiences the same as me?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
This almost sounds like the PDK is trying to match the right gear based on your pedal pressure .

Question -- Does this hesitation occur with hard throttle ?

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Are you sure its in 1st when its hesitating? Only asking because since the software update in casual (light pedal) driving the Macan stays in 2nd unless I come to a complete stop. So if I slow down to 5 or 6 miles per hour then accelerate it does feel like its lag, but to me what it really is that the PDK is in the wrong gear. I guess I'm saying the same thing and @yrralis1, because for me during hard throttle its always in the correct gear and no lag.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same hesitation on my Macan S in slow city driving. Let us know if reflashing improves anything.

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
Not experiencing anything like that on our Turbo. There was a software upgrade issued for the PDK. If you have not had that service performed yet, it might take care of that issue for you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the same hesitation on my Macan S in slow city driving. Let us know if reflashing improves anything.
NOPE! I just had a reflash a month ago (both ECU and PDK), and not only did it not fix the issue, the timing seems like it's even more advanced as the engine does not run as smooth while at low RPM, the hesitation between 1700 - 2200 rpm is even more pronounced; shifting is not as smooth as before. However it's more willing to rev and go when driven hard (at higher RPM)!!!!

The head tech drove it and he said that 'everything is normal'....

I do notice however that if you give it more gas while from a stop the hesitation does not happen; if feathering throttle mostly likely it will hesitate.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You could try and reset the PDK fussy logic and see if that helps. I have heard of ppl who did this solved some issues like the hesitation your reporting.

Go through this procedure

Reset PDK:
1. turn on the engine, turn off A/C (and any other consumer like PCM, etc.)*and let the engine run for 3 minutes.
2. *turn on A/C and wait another 3 minutes.
3. turn off engine, remove the key, close the car and wait one minute.

Good luck!

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is an interesting topic.

I have experienced it my Macan S, Macan Turbo and my 991 4S. It is a characteristic that emerges in most, not all, Porsches and is commonly referred to as the stumble. Just do a search on "991 engine stumble" and you will see what I mean.

My guess is that it is related to Porsches Variocam system that is used on most Porsche engines which is why is occurs on different models in the range with different engines.

It has annoyed some 991 drivers so much that they have sold their car. The mystery is why is emerges on some cars and not others. My theory is that it is ultimately related to driving style in some way.

So you are not imagining it. It definitely happens...but so far Porsche have not admitted anything.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have experienced it my Macan S, Macan Turbo and my 991 4S. It is a characteristic that emerges in most, not all, Porsches and is commonly referred to as the stumble. Just do a search on "991 engine stumble" and you will see what I mean.

My guess is that it is related to Porsches Variocam system that is used on most Porsche engines which is why is occurs on different models in the range with different engines.

It has annoyed some 991 drivers so much that they have sold their car. The mystery is why is emerges on some cars and not others. My theory is that it is ultimately related to driving style in some way.

So you are not imagining it. It definitely happens...but so far Porsche have not admitted anything.
Thank you.

I have now read the threads on rennlist and 6speedonline and what they describe is exactly what I experience.

I talked to the service manager at the dealership, he said that they had never heard of the problem ;)

However, they will look into it and reflash the software when I take it in for the fuel line fix in January. After reading up on the subject my hopes of a cure is not high. Luckily the stumble is not there when I push the pedal a bit, which I do most of the time anyway :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have had the hesitation in my S. it makes it very difficult to drive in heavy traffic. In fact, I may sell it because of this issue. I believe in the future Porsche may go to a torque converter to avoid this problem. I have already talked to the dealer about taking it back. I have owned, raced, and driven in traffic almost every car from Cobras, to 427 Corvettes, to luxury and high end sports cars with automatics and none of them made driving in heavy traffic so miserable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an 2016 and don't have that problem at all.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Ummm, that very interesting. I was almost inclined to thinking that it's the air and fuel ratio at that particular RPM range. I actually had a car that did exactly the same thing just below 2000 rpm.

Also note that the 'stumble is more pronounced when the timing is more advanced.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had the hesitation in my S. it makes it very difficult to drive in heavy traffic. In fact, I may sell it because of this issue. I believe in the future Porsche may go to a torque converter to avoid this problem. I have already talked to the dealer about taking it back. I have owned, raced, and driven in traffic almost every car from Cobras, to 427 Corvettes, to luxury and high end sports cars with automatics and none of them made driving in heavy traffic so miserable.
I agree. I would like to warn all potential new Macan owners to think twice if they plan to drive the car often in a heavy traffic. I even had to change my driving style to avoid the stumble. I press the throttle more than I used to and I somehow find myself driving more agressively than I actually want. That way, I actually avoid the hesitation but then, I have to live with the occasional hard downshifts. So, it is never good. I think that in a car that expensive belongs a better transmition than PDK.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Let's ask this question - how many of u that experience this hesitation are using ur PDK in automatic mode? I only use Manual mode on my PDK, in either Sport or Sport+, and try to keep my cruising revs in the 3-4k rpm range, for quicker break in and quicker engine response. i have not experienced anything like u said. Usually, when passing thru that 2k rpm range, I'm in 1st gear and on boost. Or else I'm in a parking lot where a hitch in performance makes no difference. Are y'all on boost in 1St gear or even in 1st gear when u hit this little slump at 2k? Are u using high octane fuel? ...just trying to understand.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I agree. I would like to warn all potential new Macan owners to think twice if they plan to drive the car often in a heavy traffic. I even had to change my driving style to avoid the stumble. I press the throttle more than I used to and I somehow find myself driving more agressively than I actually want. That way, I actually avoid the hesitation but then, I have to live with the occasional hard downshifts. So, it is never good. I think that in a car that expensive belongs a better transmition than PDK.

I could not disagree more . Sorry you can't get into your car or the PDK or maybe you got a strange one but, I highly recommend this car for driving in any kind of traffic . I drive in LA and I have zero issues . I think the PDK transmission is much better than any of my past MB's and AMG's or any other make I've ever driven but that's just my experience.

We all have our opinions and experiences and I respect yours but it's strange to read that you would "warn potential buyers" on this forum .

Based on your bad experience, it is assumed you will get rid of your Macan. I wish you well and hope you find the right car for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really don't want to insult anybody. I am really happy for all of you that enjoy your Macans. I just think that it is not a car for all road types and traffic occasions. It is much better to warn people to test the car in a situation in which they will drive the car mostly. The car has a lot of advantages and I enjoy driving it out of the city. Maybe you just drive the car differently than I do.

Don't get it wrong. It is just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I really don't want to insult anybody. I am really happy for all of you that enjoy your Macans. I just think that it is not a car for all road types and traffic occasions. It is much better to warn people to test the car in a situation in which they will drive the car mostly. The car has a lot of advantages and I enjoy driving it out of the city. Maybe you just drive the car differently than I do.

Don't get it wrong. It is just my honest opinion.

And you Sir are entitled to it as I am mine . Actually , please WARN ALL so maybe there would be less Macans on the road . That actually would make me happy :) -Peace

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's ask this question - how many of u that experience this hesitation are using ur PDK in automatic mode? I only use Manual mode on my PDK, in either Sport or Sport+, and try to keep my cruising revs in the 3-4k rpm range, for quicker break in and quicker engine response. i have not experienced anything like u said. Usually, when passing thru that 2k rpm range, I'm in 1st gear and on boost. Or else I'm in a parking lot where a hitch in performance makes no difference. Are y'all on boost in 1St gear or even in 1st gear when u hit this little slump at 2k? Are u using high octane fuel? ...just trying to understand.
The stumble will occur in all modes and all gears including when in manual. But like many people has reported, it will only happen when accelerating slowly, certainly never when on boost.
At first I thought it was the PDK but since it also occurs in manual I have pretty much ruled that out. Anyway, it will be difficult to get any fix for this problem as Porsche dont even acknowledges that it exists. Maybe they dont know of forums like rennlist, 6speedonline and macanforum either :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts