Porsche Macan Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I personally got the warning 3 months after picking up my 2015 Turbo. I was quite surprised the dealership didn’t check it (as I probably only drove 500 miles). If I drive hard, then I usually get the warning after 1500 miles.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I appreciate what you’re saying, but it just doesn’t work like that. For example, the warning I got this year happened a couple of months after I had the car serviced.
If you were 1 qt. low, 2 months after oil change, than something is wrong!
Either your car uses 1 qt. every 2 months or they really under filled it. Did you go back & make them add oil?

I thought you had established that your car uses ~ 1 qt. every year.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you were 1 qt. low, 2 months after oil change, than something is wrong!
Either your car uses 1 qt. every 2 months or they really under filled it. Did you go back & make them add oil?

I thought you had established that your car uses ~ 1 qt. every year.
There's nothing contradictory in what I wrote. Yes, I added ~1qt. just once every year, after getting the same error message as the OP. I doubt they under filled it, the car would have given an error message immediately. It's possible they filled it to the lowest limit and it used more oil for some reason unknown to me. No, I didn't go back to them - even if I thought that simply dropping in with no appointment would have them top it up (which I don't, given it happened a couple of months after the service), it's simply not worth my time to drive there and back, instead of topping it up myself.

It's not related to mileage or hard driving either. I drove it through multiple countries, for several thousand km, over the summer (that's after the top-up). This included high-speed, German Autobahn stuff, as well as "spirited" driving on mountain roads. It worked flawlessly, it's now November and it hasn't asked for any more oil.

I have no explanation, but these are the facts. I don't think there's a problem with the car. Just now and again it asks for oil. If it did it more frequently I'd certainly take it to the dealership, I have warranty after all.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
I guess nobody bothered to watch the John Cadogan YouTube video I posted earlier in the thread?

The way he describes it, newer engines are designed to consume some amount of oil in that
they're built looser then automobile engines of years past. This has been done in order to
reduce friction and allow for better fuel economy. He argues that the amount of $ one saves
in increased fuel efficiency is much greater than the occasional oil top-up newer engines
seem to require.

John argues that while oil consumption was considered a problem if/when it occurred with older cars
(valve guide or piston ring wear), one has to adapt one's thinking to the current approach to ICE design.

I hope this helps people to better understand the issue(s).

Hey - I'm not happy to see the oil level go down over time. Most of the cars I've previously owned
used little to no oil between changes. One exception was a '78 BMW 530i, which needed a quart every
600 miles - and even this was within spec! (as long as it didn't exceed 1qt./500 mi.). Now that I
understand WHY the oil is 'disappearing', I feel somewhat better...

;)

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
43 Posts
.8 L / 1,000 Km oil consumption is considered normal. If I did my math right that’s .845 Qts / .62 Miles or 1 Qt / 735 Miles.
We've had our '17 Turbo for about 1400 miles. The Timing Chain Cover fix was done as part of CPO work, so oil was changed then. We got a yellow alert to add a quart not long after. Just got another alert, and that's at about 1400 miles total driving, requiring 2 quarts to date. Need to start a log it seems...

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
When you got your MAcan back from its TCC repair was the oil level filled to the top? In my
experience, the Porsche techs seem to "fill" the oil mid way.

When you added oil, did you perform the addition or did a service tech do the work? If a tech did
it, perhaps the oil level was (again) left partway between "add" and "full".

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|PASM|SC|ACC
43 Posts
perhaps the oil level was (again) left partway between "add" and "full".
Yes, I assume after the TCC repair they left it a little short of full, hence the early need for topping off which I did.

After this second alert, I looked at the indicator scale on the side of 5 qt Mobil 1 jug and realized I had added less than 3/4 of a quart on the first top-off. The second top-off yesterday was similarly less than a full quart, so my post above was not entirely accurate.

Think I'll order one of these soon...

Ares 56023 Oil Funnel on Amazon

61 - 67 of 67 Posts