Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I too find myself topping up on occasion. At one time i had to add a quart at just over 1,000 miles after my previous topup. According to the Macan Good to Know App it states .8 L / 1,000 Km oil consumption is considered normal. If I did my math right that’s .845 Qts / .62 Miles or 1 Qt / 735 Miles. Maybe in the 60s and 70s that would be acceptable but in 2018?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Using that much oil would not be acceptable to me.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yeah, well. Seems we bought into a Porsche product line that is expected to shed a lot of oil over its life. I only have close to 1200 miles on mine. My driving habits have tapered off over the decades. I have recently messed with Sport and Sport+. I do like Sport once in a while. But in DD-mode, I just drive with nothing engaged. Guess I should check my level.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
That is strange. My turbo PP is 1 year old with 20K Miles and have not the need to add oil, or reminder to add oil. I should check later.

John

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
1st 2 years I added no oil but was down ~ ½ qt @ my annual oil change. This 3rd year, I was on my way to having to add some. A few months b4 my oil change, I was ¾ qt. low. But, I brought it in for a warranty issue & they added ~ ½ Qt. So I was back to only ¼ down & then had oil change a few months later.

It is so easy to check our oil levels from the MFD.

No one should discover they are 1 full Qt. low when a warning light comes on.

Carry a qt, funnel, rags & gloves in your cargo under the floor. Just in case.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do my own oil changes since new. My 2017 GTS burns around 1/2 quart of oil in between oil changes which is every 5000 miles. Very easy to overfill so be carefull! Every car will vary but if you need to add 1 quart or more every 1000 miles I think (except when new) it might be a bit much for the 3.0 engine. I can't speak for the 3.6 engine that comes with turbo model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Iconoclast, I agree with carrying the items you suggest. Easy peasy when you need it.

I did some online research many months ago on how long synthetic oil will really last. As it turns out 10,000 miles is a good distance if you consume no oil... wait for it.... and you can go LONGER if you consume oil and need to top up once in a while. Topping up replenishes those important ingredients that help protect the engine. Now topping up every 1K miles isn’t my idea of driving a new Performance vehicle but 1qt evey 3-5K miles may actually be better than changing your oil every 3-5K miles. Don’t shoot the messenger, just passing along what I saw online and it does make logical sense.

Now the Oil Flilter is a different discussion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also, I’ve found it far easier to wait until the Yellow (add a quart) message appears. This way I add the whole quart and don’t worry about overfilling. Each time I’ve had to do it I add the entire quart and my message center is Happy. I always keep an eye on my Oil Temp and can usually guess when it’s getting close to needing a top up. Remember, the Owners Manual claims the oil capacity is 8.45 qts (Turbo) and getting down to 7.45 still exceeds 5 qt American muscle car capacities.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My oil lamp came on 2 weeks after getting it - guess checking oil level is not part of the approved checks... Was mortified and it ruined my work day finding the right oil in the middle of the countryside. So have kept a log since and it uses about 1.5 litres every 5000 miles

26/05/2018 14700 near low mark
06/06/2018 15831 1L
07/07/2018 16057 0.4L
01/11/2018 20450 1l

It just had a main dealer service and note its not quite full - such dipsticks deleting the dipstick. But they do include a litre top up in the boot.

They use oil but at about 1.5 litres (just over a quart) every 5000 miles that is OK. My V12 uses none mind...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've added about 1 quart every year (~10k miles) to my 2014 Macan Turbo, as per the error message. I wouldn't say it drinks oil, it's just a little more than I expected. My former Boxster S required no top-ups.

·
Super Moderator
1,978 Posts
I thought I'd seen a link to this video in this forum - but was apparently wrong - so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1kqSo3aeM

Now there are other views of the same situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G924YI4Ek44

You decide...

>:D

·
Registered
895 Posts
My 2015 Macan Turbo varies greatly in oil use depending on type of driving. I put about 2500 miles of interstate on it during one trip, mostly constant 70-90 mph and barely any use of oil. On one day of hard acceleration/braking seeing losts of turbo boost after 150 miles I was down nearly 1/4 quart. Remember Porsche has an accessory item which is a vinyl carrier pocket for a quart of oil that velcro attaches to your trunk liner. I see this as Porsche acknowledging oil use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
thought i would chime in on my experience. brand new Macan S, had since early July, 1 qt. down after 3200 miles on Oct. 23rd. the dealer stated that burning a qt. every 500 miles is still "normal" and that my 3200 miles was "actually very good." personally i was a little shocked since w/ my previous Lexus, which took 9.8 quarts for the 5 liter V8 only burned about a 1 qt. every 9000 miles. that car had 70k+ when i sold it.

SA also said that switching to a thicker 5-50w won't make any difference or burn less. (for reference, i drive the car pretty hard, daily, stop and go traffic on the freeway and surface streets. i also did not follow any "break-in" procedures; pretty much drove it hard after about the first 300 miles or so. asked the SA if my 'break-in' or lack thereof contributed anyway to my oil consumption and he said "no.")

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just a thought from a past experience of mine:

A friend and I at nearly the same time bought two identical Suzuki GSR-X 1000 motorcycles in 1986. (This was the first of the production racing bikes, crotch rockets, sold to the public.) My bike was the faster one. We assumed it made more hp. My motor sounded more mechanical (more noise.) It also consumed more oil.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've added about 1 quart every year (~10k miles) to my 2014 Macan Turbo, as per the error message. I wouldn't say it drinks oil, it's just a little more than I expected. My former Boxster S required no top-ups.
Why do you add any oil?

For your car, you need an oil change @ 1 year or 10K miles anyway. So, when you are about 1 qt down you are changing the oil.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My oil lamp came on 2 weeks after getting it - guess checking oil level is not part of the approved checks... Was mortified and it ruined my work day finding the right oil in the middle of the countryside. So have kept a log since and it uses about 1.5 litres every 5000 miles

26/05/2018 14700 near low mark
06/06/2018 15831 1L
07/07/2018 16057 0.4L
01/11/2018 20450 1l

It just had a main dealer service and note its not quite full - such dipsticks deleting the dipstick. But they do include a litre top up in the boot.

They use oil but at about 1.5 litres (just over a quart) every 5000 miles that is OK. My V12 uses none mind...
"But they do include a litre top up in the boot" Who included the additional oil?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Why do you add any oil?

For your car, you need an oil change @ 1 year or 10K miles anyway. So, when you are about 1 qt down you are changing the oil.
I added oil because I got the same error message that the OP had. The car was serviced as it requested itself. BTW it's closer to 2 years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
"But they do include a litre top up in the boot" Who included the additional oil?
My franchised Porsche dealer here in UK.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I added oil because I got the same error message that the OP had. The car was serviced as it requested itself. BTW it's closer to 2 years.
I don't mean to suggest you ignore the warning that you need to add 1 qt, of oil. I meant if you know, over several years, that your oil level goes down ~ 1 qt. per 1 year, then you can time your routine oil change just b4 you would get the warning.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't mean to suggest you ignore the warning that you need to add 1 qt, of oil. I meant if you know, over several years, that your oil level goes down ~ 1 qt. per 1 year, then you can time your routine oil change just b4 you would get the warning.
I appreciate what you’re saying, but it just doesn’t work like that. For example, the warning I got this year happened a couple of months after I had the car serviced.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts