Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I noticed some oil consumption too with my 16MY Turbo. I asked my service guy and he said it should be about 1L/5,000km. I think that the manual also stated to expect some oil consumption.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Could the oil consumption for all these turbos actually be coming through the turbos rather than the rings? With a lot of on/off throttle, the pressure spikes and dips could help suck oil through the turbo bearings. (Not sure what kind of seals are used, but the old labyrinth seals were terrible for oil leak under vacuum conditions.)

With high oil consumption like this, I'd also expect to see visible exhaust smoke.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Could the oil consumption for all these turbos actually be coming through the turbos rather than the rings? With a lot of on/off throttle, the pressure spikes and dips could help suck oil through the turbo bearings. (Not sure what kind of seals are used, but the old labyrinth seals were terrible for oil leak under vacuum conditions.)

With high oil consumption like this, I'd also expect to see visible exhaust smoke.

I've been checking my turbo thoroughly and engine and exausts are very clean.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Without removing the fiberboard, it's just a guess. Could be a loose drain plug, bad oil pan gasket, etc. etc. (BTW, that fiberboard is probably soaked with oil!)
Excellent point! That fiberboard could be masking slow oil leaks for many Macans.
If the service tech changes the oil & notices oil spots on the inner side of that fiberboard ....would they tell you?

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
608 Posts
BTW, on modern cars with high-energy MSD ignitions, even if you were consuming a lot of oil, you wouldn't necessarily see it on the plugs, and the car wouldn't necessarily smoke. I had an intake gasket leak on my big block Ford FE. It was consuming 1 qt/400-500 mi. No smoke, and the plugs were clean. All due to the hot MSD ignition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lippy,

Oil consumption is high only in the city, where for about 10 km it takes about 45 minutes, I doubt there are hidden losses.
Perhaps, oil consumption should be measured in hours, not in kilometers :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Not for nothing but on my first oil change the tech didn't fill up the oil to the top of the fill line. I went back so they added the total correct amount.

·
Registered
56 Posts
just about 20,000 miles and have use 1lts oil with electronic dipstick now about one third gone, due a service in 600 miles so all is good for me

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lippy,

Oil consumption is high only in the city, where for about 10 km it takes about 45 minutes, I doubt there are hidden losses.
Perhaps, oil consumption should be measured in hours, not in kilometers :)
It's a new car. No need for you to deal with it or worry. Bring it to the dealer. They'll diagnose it properly and take care of you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FYI, my dad one of the first gen 1 Panamera S' and it had an oil consumption issue similar to what is being described here. Dealer and PCNA said it was "normal" and within "standards per manual". Very annoying and it isn't something you would expect from Porsche. Can't take a long roadrip without pulling over and poppin' some oil in the thing, are you kidding me?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Looks like my turbo uses a quart of oil roughly every 10,000 miles, but I generally don't drive mine that hard.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Not for nothing but on my first oil change the tech didn't fill up the oil to the top of the fill line. I went back so they added the total correct amount.
Same for me except I complained about it & the service advisor said they do it deliberately halfway between completely full and 1 quart low because they want to make sure that they don't overfill it which is more dangerous vs. under filling.

It's hard to believe they don't have a much better idea of how much oil the Marcon takes. I realize It is not like the first filling @ the factory when the engine is dry. There is still some residual oil left after draining but, you would think they could at least get it to three quarters full. I find it annoying. I miss having a dipstick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a 911 for 3 years now, and was told about this when I bought the car (new). Good news is, for some reason it only happens in the first 12 months or so, and I haven't needed to top it up in-between services.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I'd say a quart every 1000 miles is high on a modern car. You do want *some* oil to get past the rings and lubricate the cylinder walls - maybe a quart every 3000-5000 miles - but this seems high.

The first thing you should do is make sure there aren't any leaks. If you can confirm that, you may want to ask them to do a leak-down test and internal borescope inspection to see if it's the top end or the bottom end. They should be able to figure that out. If it's the top end, then it wouldn't be that difficult to fix. But if it's the bottom end, the practical problem for you is that it's probably better to live with the consumption rather than have them disassemble the whole engine.
Porsche (and BMW too) have always had high "acceptable" oil consumption levels per the factory. I know on the 993's the acceptable consumption was 1L per 1,000km's (apx 1qt per 650 miles). Fortunately neither of my 993's drank oil like that!

I would check the manual as it will say in there what acceptable consumption is per the factory, since mine hasn't used any oil I haven't looked it up yet. I wouldn't worry about it for the first 10k mi. unless you're burning over a qt per 1k mi. (I know that's hard to accept) but unless there's a leak Porsche isn't going to do much about it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well - -

The leak I thought I saw apparently wasn't from my vehicle, I guess the vehicle that was parked before me at the spot where I thought I saw it has a leak (quite hard to tell when you live/park in the city) without crawling under the car.

Porsche dealership checked for anything they could find of any leak and said they didn't see anything, nor any area that had oil where it shouldn't be [that would have collected due to a leak].

Once we established there was no leak, my SA was not surprised when I told her my initial concern was just based on the idea that I have been putting 1QT of oil in every 1,000-1,500 miles on average so far as soon as the vehicle computer tells me (currently have 5,500mi on the odometer). However, she said after speaking with the service dept. / historical knowledge from her tenure at Porsche, that with me driving in Sport Plus 100% of the time / my spirited driving 100% of the time / living [commuting] in the city / every weekend drives on the blue ridge parkway / the 3.6L engine / etc...... that the ratio of oil:miles is all 'within Porsche specs' and not to worry.

So still a little surprising (coming from a Silverado, e46 M3, 335xi, 4.8L X5, and Macan S to now the Macan Turbo). I did read that some 911's [and how they're driven] often take quite a bit of oil too.

The silver lining to it all was that she said just stop by when the oil light comes on and they'll top me off for free (not sure if other dealers offer / do this ?) but def great to know now!

Thanks for the input all -

V/r,
D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My indicator came on last night saying something like 1QT okay to drive. So I went to the local auto supply, picked up a quart of 0w-40 Mobil 1 and topped it off. I have only 4600 miles and don't beat it or take it to the track. I'm in Tampa which is hot and humid. Not a lot of short trips either. Kind of surprising. I've had Audi S4's tuned, with hardly any oil use. I just don't believe that the first oil change comes at 10,000 miles or the first year. That is next April. When I took the cap off, the oil looked dark. I will have my first oil change next week. I just don't trust going to 10,000 miles for the first service.

·
Registered
463 Posts
@sfg57, after reading a few posts on this topic in the past we decided to go for the first oil change at 6 months and about 5,000 miles to replace the factory oil assuming different from standard oil to collect all the breaking down elements. Also, our wonderful SA (who unfortunately retired this year) gave me a quart of oil after the oil change as he said it will go through a quart BUT do not top it off until prompted by the oil low message and pour the entire bottle in at that time. I have been holding on to this quart ever since (March 2016) and the oil low message never appeared 2.5 years counting but the car is driven with a good balance of highway and stop and grind a few days a week in a spirited manner on COBB OCT91 map but without Sport mode (we do not have Sport+) so this is probably very light on the drivetrain to burn much oil.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
There is no "factory" oil that is any different than regular Synthetic oil. I asked my SA about what exact oil would be in my Macan upon delivery & would I have a choice (Mobil1 vs Penzil for example)
I had no choice.

Mine was delivered with Mobil1 European 0W-40, if I recall correctly.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts