Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all - a few miles over 5,000 on my 2017 Macan Turbo (delivered mid-March 2017) I have had the yellow warning message "Max 1.0 quart refill oil Poss. to drive on" appear about 4-5 times with me purchasing 1qt after checking oil level and refilling per message, making the message disappear. The message does not disappear if the vehicle is turned on / off, or over the course of a day+ (i.e., not just some quick electronic malf. that corrects itself).

Anyone else think something could be up?

Stats -
-Driven daily
-100% sport plus mode, driven very spiritedly
-East Coast, USA weather
-Mobil 1 0-w40

Thoughts? Checking with Service on Monday but wanted to poll the owners to get some real world feedback as a variable ...

V/r-

·
Registered
261 Posts
I experience the exact same behavior and drive in the same manner... My truck has 8,200 miles and about 3,000 since the last change and I just got the light again the other day but it went away the next morning... Second time it's happened and I took pictures both time and have sent to Porsche service just so it's on record. I'm do a service and will be going in soon so I plan to bring it up again...

·
Registered
112 Posts
The message is alarming but given there's 9 quarts of oil the motor isn't going to blow up.

When I see the message I turn off ignition, add around 1/2 quart careful not to overfill and my message goes back to normal. If the light does not go out after adding oil the sensor may be faulty.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Hi all - a few miles over 5,000 on my 2017 Macan Turbo (delivered mid-March 2017) I have had the yellow warning message "Max 1.0 quart refill oil Poss. to drive on" appear about 4-5 times with me purchasing 1qt after checking oil level and refilling per message, making the message disappear. The message does not disappear if the vehicle is turned on / off, or over the course of a day+ (i.e., not just some quick electronic malf. that corrects itself).

Anyone else think something could be up?

Stats -
-Driven daily
-100% sport plus mode, driven very spiritedly
-East Coast, USA weather
-Mobil 1 0-w40

Thoughts? Checking with Service on Monday but wanted to poll the owners to get some real world feedback as a variable ...

V/r-
Your original post is not totally clear. Without the headline I would deduce you had to had a one quart of oil after 5000 miles...nothing unusual about that, especially if being driven hard.

But your headline says you are having to add a quart EVERY 1000 miles. Is that the case? If yes, sure that's significant.

But IMO that still does not qualify as "drinking oil". My car in high school did. When I pulled into a service station I would tell the attendant to "fill it up and check the gas" :) (New Jersey is one of two states where it's illegal to pump your own gas...our state government is afraid we are all going to blow ourselves up :)

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
From my experience with DFI engine in the last 8 years, 1 quart every 5000 miles sounds about right. My 911 is DD and mostly highway in sport mode.

John

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oil consumption is a new thing for me. I have always equated zero oil usage with a well built engine. Had a Chevy truck from new to 170,000 miles that never used or lost oil to leakage. Oil drips on garage floors were annoying to me. I prided myself for having cars or trucks that kept it clean. So far, zero usage on my Macan S but I am still in the be gentle with it stage.

I should add that my turbocharged Audi A4 2.0 never needs additional oil between changes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The message is alarming but given there's 9 quarts of oil the motor isn't going to blow up.

When I see the message I turn off ignition, add around 1/2 quart careful not to overfill and my message goes back to normal. If the light does not go out after adding oil the sensor may be faulty.
I have to add a quart every 10K miles in my 2015 Turbo. I also only add a 1/2 quart when I get the message

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are you allowing the oil temperature get up to operating level (200F or so) before all that "driving spirited" stuff?
I'm guessing you're asking the OP, but since I experience the same thing... Yes, of course I make sure the temps are up to 180+... I also make sure I do some conservative driving after beating on the truck to allow the oil to be at normal operating temps before shutting it off... This isn't my first german turbo or FI motor and IMO and experience the 3.6L motor burns more oil than any turbo/FI motor I've owned(4 cylinder 1.8T Audi, 4 cylinder 2.0T Audi, 5 cylinder 2.5T Audi, 2.7TT Audi 3.0SC Audi) Just my .02

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To clarify the confusion - I have added 1qt, each of the 4-5 times I've gotten the message. In total I have added 4-5qts to the vehicle that has about 5,000 miles. Thus, it's almost 1qt for every 1,000 miles I have driven.

No the oil temp is never crazy to my knowledge , I do monitor.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
This isn't my first german turbo or FI motor and IMO and experience the 3.6L motor burns more oil than any turbo/FI motor I've owned(4 cylinder 1.8T Audi, 4 cylinder 2.0T Audi, 5 cylinder 2.5T Audi, 2.7TT Audi 3.0SC Audi) Just my .02
No doubt you are aware that at one point (5-10 years ago?) Audi had a well documented issue with oil consumption in it's 4 cylinder turbocharged engines. Can't recall what the exact issue was...valve seals? I remember one poor girl that I work with repeatedly adding oil to her A4 in the parking lot of our building.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd say a quart every 1000 miles is high on a modern car. You do want *some* oil to get past the rings and lubricate the cylinder walls - maybe a quart every 3000-5000 miles - but this seems high.

The first thing you should do is make sure there aren't any leaks. If you can confirm that, you may want to ask them to do a leak-down test and internal borescope inspection to see if it's the top end or the bottom end. They should be able to figure that out. If it's the top end, then it wouldn't be that difficult to fix. But if it's the bottom end, the practical problem for you is that it's probably better to live with the consumption rather than have them disassemble the whole engine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say a quart every 1000 miles is high on a modern car. You do want *some* oil to get past the rings and lubricate the cylinder walls - maybe a quart every 3000-5000 miles - but this seems high.

The first thing you should do is make sure there aren't any leaks. If you can confirm that, you may want to ask them to do a leak-down test and internal borescope inspection to see if it's the top end or the bottom end. They should be able to figure that out. If it's the top end, then it wouldn't be that difficult to fix. But if it's the bottom end, the practical problem for you is that it's probably better to live with the consumption rather than have them disassemble the whole engine.
Thank you for the actionable feedback - have not noticed any leak but will chat with service on Monday about your recommendation and get some feedback - will provide update when i know more!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sigh- see a noticeable leak now. In the city it's hard to tell if anything was from our vehicle and never gave it a second thought that we could have a leak but there is.

Inform me - what is going on?? I've never bottomed out, never taken it off road, how does this happen? I assume (hope) this is warranty work?

Thanks all-

·
Registered
290 Posts
Without removing the fiberboard, it's just a guess. Could be a loose drain plug, bad oil pan gasket, etc. etc. (BTW, that fiberboard is probably soaked with oil!)

Reactions: iconoclast

·
Registered
124 Posts
Leaks unfortunately happen. Now that you know there is one, let the dealer address it. Leaks typically get fixed unless it's in an unreachable spot or require a lot of disassembling. That will be up to you to make the decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sigh- see a noticeable leak now. In the city it's hard to tell if anything was from our vehicle and never gave it a second thought that we could have a leak but there is.

Inform me - what is going on?? I've never bottomed out, never taken it off road, how does this happen? I assume (hope) this is warranty work?

Thanks all-

I am glad that you have understood the problem, but the Macan turbo, unlike S and GTS, consumes, however, a lot of oil.
This happens in particular conditions:

- use in sports plus
- use in the city with frequent stop and go.

I did a calculation for my turbo, if I had to use it ONLY in town, I would spend a kg every 1500 kilometers.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts