Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boss (aka, my wife) drives the Mac pretty rarely. She had it for a couple of days and reported no issues. I totally trust that she would tell me if there were any concerns, so I'm not transferring blame here...

I got behind the wheel yesterday for the first time after a couple of days in my old Tahoe. I think I feel the transmission slipping a tiny little bit with a slow acceleration in low gears. It feels like a little periodic skip in an otherwise smooth pull forward. It almost feels like hitting a little crack in the pavement when gliding over a smooth road - just a little blip, but you know it is happening. I do not feel it with heavy throttle, nor in higher gears at speed. I'll likely take her in for a dealer check as I am also due for a visit for the latest recall for the airbag sensor, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, and if this is an ASAP kind of deal or if I can schedule a more convenient time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, @Birdoprey is correct. Took her in yesterday and it's confirmed. Transfer case is on order and should be in about 2 weeks from now. I seem to be in the same boat as many others that are experiencing this hiccup at around the 14K mile marker. I should turn over 15K this weekend. Previous posts can be found here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/87514-tranfer-case.html

While there, I went ahead and did my 20K mile service, including alignment, and shelled out about $1,200, but the Tcase and the passenger airbag campaign will be $0 under warranty. I also went ahead and requested the Sport Plus upgrade, which will also be done concurrently with the Tcase repair. No word yet on when dealers will be getting the replacement parts for the campaign.

I was a little disappointed in the loaner car fleet though. My only options were base model Cayenne or Macan - no more sporty cars to play with for a day from this dealer. I went with the Cayenne just for a change of pace and was quite disappointed. LOL, I didn't even get the pun until I just re-read my last line. It really was a substantial change of pace from my Mac. This "Platinum Edition" Cayenne was a bit sluggish, and I could feel the extra junk in the trunk. I can see it as a great car for a larger family, or those that tote a bunch of toys around with them everywhere, but I'll stick to the more spirited Mac's and enjoy the extra kick from the skinny pedal!

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
@Byakko, My transfer case went before I had even hit 5,000 miles, so you got more mileage out of it than I did. My dealer doesn't offer up 911s or Boxsters/Caymans for their service loaner fleet. Your options are Macans, Cayennes & Pannys. I got a Panny, which was pretty meh. You should be good to go with a new transfer case though, so no worries there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch, only 5K? Do you track you cars, or are you a mere mortal like the rest of us? I'll admit I mat the throttle on occasion, and enjoy an aggressive drive on a twisty road a couple of times a year, but I've not put her under track stress. Perhaps just an unlucky draw?

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Ouch, only 5K? Do you track you cars, or are you a mere mortal like the rest of us? I'll admit I mat the throttle on occasion, and enjoy an aggressive drive on a twisty road a couple of times a year, but I've not put her under track stress. Perhaps just an unlucky draw?
I dunno about being mere mortal >:D, but I think I did draw the short straw on the transfer case lottery. I'm generally not a wild driver & I've never tracked the car, so my driving habits shouldn't have affected the transfer case. Hmm, I'll have to see if the Spousal Unit went wild when he borrowed it!

It was unpleasant because my Macan was down for 7 weeks, as the part was out of stock here in the US. We had a long wait for the replacement parts. They replaced the transfer case & front drive shaft. My dealer gave me a service loaner & PCNA reimbursed me for two months' worth of car pmts, so they did the right thing when all was said & done. I'm hoping that I don't have any other major problems, since I'm planning to keep the Macan for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The boss (aka, my wife) drives the Mac pretty rarely. She had it for a couple of days and reported no issues. I totally trust that she would tell me if there were any concerns, so I'm not transferring blame here...

I got behind the wheel yesterday for the first time after a couple of days in my old Tahoe. I think I feel the transmission slipping a tiny little bit with a slow acceleration in low gears. It feels like a little periodic skip in an otherwise smooth pull forward. It almost feels like hitting a little crack in the pavement when gliding over a smooth road - just a little blip, but you know it is happening. I do not feel it with heavy throttle, nor in higher gears at speed. I'll likely take her in for a dealer check as I am also due for a visit for the latest recall for the airbag sensor, but was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, and if this is an ASAP kind of deal or if I can schedule a more convenient time.
Does it happen at low RPM between 2~3K RPM when you press it lightly? My car also seems to have that symptom when I press on the pedal around 30MPH but it's not noticeable when I press it hard.

I took my car to a dealership twice for this issue but they said it's normal. I am going to another dealership on Friday so I am curious what they have to say about it.

To everyone:
Does anyone know how difficult it is to diagnose the issue (i.e. transfer case is bad)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had my Transfer case replaced at 11,000 miles. Only took a week to get the case from Canada. My dealer Leith Porsche, who I speak highly about, told me that they had replaced 5 Macan and more than 40 Cheyenne transfer cases.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dunno about being mere mortal >:D, but I think I did draw the short straw on the transfer case lottery. I'm generally not a wild driver & I've never tracked the car, so my driving habits shouldn't have affected the transfer case. Hmm, I'll have to see if the Spousal Unit went wild when he borrowed it!

It was unpleasant because my Macan was down for 7 weeks, as the part was out of stock here in the US. We had a long wait for the replacement parts. They replaced the transfer case & front drive shaft. My dealer gave me a service loaner & PCNA reimbursed me for two months' worth of car pmts, so they did the right thing when all was said & done. I'm hoping that I don't have any other major problems, since I'm planning to keep the Macan for many years to come.
Not a bad response from PCNA, but still a PITA for you guys. My reported wait will only be about 2 weeks while getting the parts in. Like you, I plan to keep the Mac for quite some time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it happen at low RPM between 2~3K RPM when you press it lightly? My car also seems to have that symptom when I press on the pedal around 30MPH but it's not noticeable when I press it hard.

I took my car to a dealership twice for this issue but they said it's normal. I am going to another dealership on Friday so I am curious what they have to say about it.

To everyone:
Does anyone know how difficult it is to diagnose the issue (i.e. transfer case is bad)?

Thanks,
Yes, typically low RPM's and quite a bit more noticeable when on an incline. Heavier throttle tends to show it less, but not altogether gone. Higher speeds and higher RMS's rarely experience the slipping.

I certainly would not agree with this being a normal thing. Someone is missing something...

I dropped off at about 9 am, forgot to mention something to the service guy, and when I called him around 10 or 10:30 am, it was already diagnosed and parts were ordered. I cannot imagine it's a real difficult diagnosis with that small of a window.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had my Transfer case replaced at 11,000 miles. Only took a week to get the case from Canada. My dealer Leith Porsche, who I speak highly about, told me that they had replaced 5 Macan and more than 40 Cheyenne transfer cases.
Any issues since your replacement? I've heard it's a "one and done" thing, but you never know for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Not a bad response from PCNA, but still a PITA for you guys. My reported wait will only be about 2 weeks while getting the parts in. Like you, I plan to keep the Mac for quite some time.
Not to scare you, but I was initially given a two-week window too. That said, it appears that the more recent posters with transfer case issues are getting their cars returned to them within a week or two, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yes, typically low RPM's and quite a bit more noticeable when on an incline. Heavier throttle tends to show it less, but not altogether gone. Higher speeds and higher RMS's rarely experience the slipping.

I certainly would not agree with this being a normal thing. Someone is missing something...

I dropped off at about 9 am, forgot to mention something to the service guy, and when I called him around 10 or 10:30 am, it was already diagnosed and parts were ordered. I cannot imagine it's a real difficult diagnosis with that small of a window.
Thank you for the information. I spoke with an SA so we will see how it goes. Mine is more subtle. I never tested on an incline so I will try that later today. GL with your vehicle!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Byakko, who is your dealer? Mine is Perimeter. Also, which model do you have and is more susceptible to certain models like the Turbo? I've had mine since Mar 7 and just barely have 3000 miles on it. I have not felt anything strange but I will be tracking it in Sept at Virginia Intl Raceway (VIR) with a Rally group.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Byakko, who is your dealer? Mine is Perimeter. Also, which model do you have and is more susceptible to certain models like the Turbo? I've had mine since Mar 7 and just barely have 3000 miles on it. I have not felt anything strange but I will be tracking it in Sept at Virginia Intl Raceway (VIR) with a Rally group.
I took my 2016 S to Hennessy for service, but am still waiting on the Tcase parts to arrive so I can take her in for replacement and the Sport Plus retrofit. I'm not sure on model specific susceptibility, but I just recently turned over 15K, and the problem seems to be getting progressively worse. VIR is close to where I am originally from, but I moved to ATL in 1998. Have fun with the Rally group, and keep your Mac shiny side up!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I took my 2016 S to Hennessy for service, but am still waiting on the Tcase parts to arrive so I can take her in for replacement and the Sport Plus retrofit. I'm not sure on model specific susceptibility, but I just recently turned over 15K, and the problem seems to be getting progressively worse. VIR is close to where I am originally from, but I moved to ATL in 1998. Have fun with the Rally group, and keep your Mac shiny side up!
Thanks and yes, shiny side up is always the goal. I'm on all season tires.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the Tcase parts are in and I dropped her off yesterday for the repair as well as Sport Plus install. They said it would all be done by the afternoon, but it takes 24 hours to get the new P code from the mother ship for the Sport Plus so I will not be able to pick her up until this afternoon. Definitely looking forward to my smoother ride, as well as Launch Control!

I'm in a loaner base Macan and am noticing quite a few of the differences - especially quite a bit of extra room in the engine bay. I'm also noticing a few of the subtle upgrades in the model year. Some of the above items include:

-Plastic door sills instead of the metal
-LED lighting throughout the interior (at least the lighting is "cooler" than my warm colored incandescent bulbs)
-Lights above the sun visors with the vanity mirrors (the boss/wife was a bit disappointed with this one...)
-Of course, the new design of the touch screen and upgraded interface
-USB jacks in the rear of the console for rear seat passengers
-There was some free McDonald's trash stuffed in the storage compartment under the driver's seat, including some petrified fries. They weren't as tasty as fresh ones... ;)

This base Mac also had the Bose sound system, and it is quite an upgrade over my stock system. Congrats to those that have the Bose or even the Burmeister upgrade! I'm not an audiophile, but I can certainly appreciate the upgraded fidelity and depth of these systems.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts