Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like a Transfer case issue. Two checks. 1.start off very slow and does it feel like your going over small speed bump. 1. When in reverse, Turn wheel sharply and do you feel slight shutter. Only problem with my 16 Macan that Porsche quickly replaced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gordon, tyto, check out pipes #14 ,#15 . That's what needs to be replaced. Ask me how I know!
And that's after they changed out my transfer case!
Porsche of Westwood replaced those exhaust pipes noted up above. This completely stopped the "shudders" at 1,100 rpm. I have been driving my car for a week and the problem is gone. There is a Porsche bulletin on this. I don't know if this is the problem for everyone's shudders. But, it did cure mine.

Note, my shuddering occurred, as others have noticed, at exactly 1,100 rpm, regardless of what gear it was in, or how fast the car was going.

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^^Mine was 1050 RPM. They replaced my transfer case, and it still did it! Did a U turn and brought it back.
They changed the exhaust pipes, solved!

·
Registered
515 Posts
As a future new 2018 Macan S owner, I find this thread VERY disconcerting...
The flipside is that I'm almost looking for problems because this vehicle has been so great. So you notice the slightest little thing. But I really love my Macan.

·
Supporting Vendor
55 Posts
I had the transfer case swap done a few months back. The dealership was almost expecting it & i was in and out in 3 days time. It was about as painless as could be. Porsche stands by their cars; when it's a frequently documented issue they expect it, address it and move on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
All,

I recently bought a Macan S from Porsche Westwood and am NOT having a great experience at all in dealing with them. Can I ask, who do you deal with there that you can recommend? Do you work with your brand ambassador when you need things done? Go directly to Service?

Apologies, first time Porsche Owner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had the transfer case swap done a few months back. The dealership was almost expecting it & i was in and out in 3 days time. It was about as painless as could be. Porsche stands by their cars; when it's a frequently documented issue they expect it, address it and move on.
I am getting the heave-ho on the shudder from my dealership. I told them to check the exhaust pipes

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had the same issue but it took maybe 3 visits complaining about rough starting until it finally got bad enough that they figured out it was the transfer case. It wasn't like they didn't want to fix it, it just wasn't obvious in the beginning and guess you don't get faults on the computer. That was at 40K miles or so, FYI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Base Macan and notice that unless I come to a complete stop (at a light or stop light) the car seems to stay in second gear. It does not shudder, but I think this is a software issue with the transmission. I agree there are no issues when in "sport" mode.
I've complained to the dealer a few times on our Macan S. They researched it and said it was "normal" to stay in 2nd unless you sit at a stop for a number of seconds. In sport mode it drops into 1st more quickly. The base Macan I drove seemed to not have this same issue, interestingly. One more reason to leave it in sport mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tested a recently traded 2016 S with 23K miles that is suppose to be a CPO car. I noticed a shutter at low speeds (feels like a bump in the road) and backing out when turning the wheel at slow speed. We have been looking for quite awhile for this color/option combo and now this.. The dealer told me up front that it needed a software update? Good to hear others have had this issue. Any advise, is the problem cured or should I walk? Normally, I would walk away, but since it is still under warranty and I won't buy it unless it ends up being a CPO I feel there's plenty to time. Open to comments.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Tested a recently traded 2016 S with 23K miles that is suppose to be a CPO car. I noticed a shutter at low speeds (feels like a bump in the road) and backing out when turning the wheel at slow speed. We have been looking for quite awhile for this color/option combo and now this.. The dealer told me up front that it needed a software update? Good to hear others have had this issue. Any advise, is the problem cured or should I walk? Normally, I would walk away, but since it is still under warranty and I won't buy it unless it ends up being a CPO I feel there's plenty to time. Open to comments.
Tell them you want the transfer case replaced before taking it off the lot. Your symptoms are classic for the TC failure condition. Trust me, given my experience it's not always easy to get them to replace the TC even when it really is bad. They want to make you jump through all kinds of hoops first which won't fix the problem and just waste your time - been trying for two months to get mine properly evaluated. Symptoms get worse, still no resolution. Macan is a great car, don't mean to scare you off. Just tell them the deal is contingent on replacement of the transfer case.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a 2017 Base Macan and notice that unless I come to a complete stop (at a light or stop light) the car seems to stay in second gear. It does not shudder, but I think this is a software issue with the transmission. I agree there are no issues when in "sport" mode.
I tersting I thought the transfer case issues were fixed after my16 vehicles

·
Registered
155 Posts
So my slight shudder at low RPMs especially when in 3rd gear accelerating into 4th was solved by replacing the front axles and reflash of the 4WD program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transfer Case 100%. Brought it into the dealer this AM. Vaughan, Ontario Canada. The service manager took it for a ride, with me in the vehicle. He knew right away. I also had a HOLD function problem ( I would start the car , release the brake and it would go on HOLD) he is looking into it but is pretty sure it is related to the TC. They are replacing it, all under warranty.

Very important to note. He said he received a bulletin from Head Office regarding this issue with the TC. My question is , if its a bulletin going to all the service managers shouldn't this be a major recall??? This is a known issue. I guess you have to wait until you have the problem first? Not what I expected when I purchased a Quality vehicle.

I do however appreciate the level of Service from Pfaff Porsche and the Pfaff Audi where I purchased this pre-owned 16' Macan.

Can't wait to get her back!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Transfer Case 100%. Brought it into the dealer this AM. Vaughan, Ontario Canada. The service manager took it for a ride, with me in the vehicle. He knew right away. I also had a HOLD function problem ( I would start the car , release the brake and it would go on HOLD) he is looking into it but is pretty sure it is related to the TC. They are replacing it, all under warranty.

Very important to note. He said he received a bulletin from Head Office regarding this issue with the TC. My question is , if its a bulletin going to all the service managers shouldn't this be a major recall??? This is a known issue. I guess you have to wait until you have the problem first? Not what I expected when I purchased a Quality vehicle.

I do however appreciate the level of Service from Pfaff Porsche and the Pfaff Audi where I purchased this pre-owned 16' Macan.

Can't wait to get her back!!
I have "heard" that if it is not a safety issue, than a recall is not warranted. In other words, unless an owner comes in specifically for transmission shudder issues, the problem will not be directly addressed by Porsche. Sigh... :( Ridiculous

21 - 39 of 39 Posts