Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't post this in the "transmission trouble" thread as this issue has different symptoms and no dash warnings whatsoever--seemed like a different issue so it didn't need to be lumped in. Some background: we bought our 2020 Macan S in mid-October, it got rear-ended mid-November with about 700 miles on it, we got it back in mid-December after fairly mild repairs (bumper, liftgate, exhaust mostly) and since then have put another 700 miles driving around town and just this past weekend finished up a 2300-mile road trip; it's currently sitting around 3750 miles.

Back when we first got the car I noticed a fairly rough downshift when slowing the vehicle to a stop or a very slow roll. I'd notice it most at stoplights, stop signs, or when I'm slowing to pull into the garage. It only occurs when the car shifts from 2nd down to 1st and I originally attributed it to the PDK. Having never owned or driven a dual clutch transmission before I just kind of fell back onto what I had read in the past when DCT's were becoming popular; namely in the Nissan GTR and how clunky it was at low speeds. It didn't make a grinding sound necessarily, but it did noticeably shake the car and it made somewhat of a thud noise.

Now that we're back from this road trip and it's got substantially more miles the 2-1 downshift has become even worse. The jolt is much more harsh and I've even noticed if I don't have the brake pedal depressed fully it makes the car lunge forward slightly. The noise is now a very solid clunk with the very slightest hint of a grind. Closest thing I can think of to describe it is that it sounds like a manual transmission shifting without the clutch and worn down synchro's. I'm not getting any dash warnings, no check engine lights, no codes--absolutely nothing; it shifts just fine going up the range or down the range to any other gear other than 2-1.

I took it to the dealership on Tuesday and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. Despite me telling the above I think he had it in his mind it was the transfer case and kept trying to diagnose a bad TC. I went to pick it up Wednesday morning and they said I could drive it to try to replicate the problem with the tech and sure enough it had the clunky downshift every single time we came to a stop. We left it with them again and have not heard anything yet--they said it might have been as simple as a calibration, but if not they'd have to start working down the list of items and perhaps get Porsche involved if it came to transmission replacement.

I will be sure to update this thread once I hear something--has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was the root of the problem?

·
Registered
357 Posts
If it's not transfer case then I bet it's the valve train mechatronics unit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I know admins will come now and mention that this is your imagination (and most likely will delete my post as well) but I had exactly same issue which was fixed by mechatronic valve body replacement.

Porsche dealerships are also prone to not admit the problem until you actually show it to them on your own. I would suggest to take it back to dealership and have a quick ride with SA. This is probably the only way for them to admit the issue granted it's not throwing any errors.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I did not have a grinding sound but I was noticing the clunking feeling you had mention. Then of course my case was helped by the Christmas tree of faults and errors I got. I also right before the error codes noticed the car sort of rough started and the car shuddered when sitting at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To provide a bit of an update: went to the dealership to pickup a loaner car since it still hasn't been fixed and they've now had it for a week. They did a PDK fluid flush and calibration which did not fix the issue so they said the next step was a valve body replacement (I assume this is the mechatronics valve body mentioned above) and then another calibration. They got authorization from Porsche for the part and ordered it overnight and should be there tomorrow. If that is the issue as I suspect it will be then we could possibly have the car back by tomorrow evening or Thursday morning

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Conclusion to the saga: it was the mechatronics valve body as well. Interesting that it presented none of the same symptoms as other cars with the same issue Car shifts like butter into 1st now. Funny enough when we dropped it off I had also commented about a rattle near the ignition switch that they couldn't find upon first inspection. Sure enough while doing the test drives to see if the valve body fixed the issue they found the source of the rattle to be a loose allen key in the fuse box. Never told us they found and fixed that, we just read about it in their incredibly detailed 5 page report. Completely satisfied with the conclusion. Between the accident and this I think we've only had the car about 50% of the time since we bought it. Looking forward now to many years of problem free enjoyment (hopefully)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My mechatronics was replaced on my 2015 Macan (67k miles) July 21, 2021 and immediately I started hearing a clicking noise when driving home. After contacting the dealership I was told that the car sensors needed to recalibrate and would eventually adjust. However, the sound never went away. After finally getting another appointment at the dealership, I was told that synchro adaptation values (?) is failing and I would need a new transmission. Anyone every heard of this? I’ve reached out to Porsche North America and created a case. It’s my belief that the mechatronics was not properly fixed and is leading to other issues. The car had no issues prior. Emission warranty just expired in July. Help please!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
What I heard is normally mechatronic unit is the first thing they try to fix in case of tranny error. But that's not always the solution. If that's the case here I have no idea. It could be that mechatronic was not the reason of the issue or that they didn't fix it properly. You can only guess. I would take to another dealership to check there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I heard is normally mechatronic unit is the first thing they try to fix in case of tranny error. But that's not always the solution. If that's the case here I have no idea. It could be that mechatronic was not the reason of the issue or that they didn't fix it properly. You can only guess. I would take to another dealership to check there.
Thanks for the feedback. I scheduled an appointment at a different dealership. The earliest available is September 4. Hopefully they can provide more insight and assist. They only advice the first dealership gave was to replace the trans which he mentioned was $25k!! The car is barely driven and had no issues… then all of a sudden this happens! I’m waiting on a follow-up from Porsche North America as well.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|ACC|Escargot
194 Posts
synchro adaptation values (?)
I suspect it wouldn't hurt to try a PDK reset...

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
I authored the referred to thread …….is this a real procedure?

I have tried it , no diff, but had no issues.

MT 2016

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Turbo PSE|ACC|Escargot
194 Posts
It allegedly has helped some with certain issues.

From Teddis thread:

That procedure is almost correct, except for one adjustment:

PORSCHE PDK FACTORY RESET PROCEDURE
1. Turn on the engine, turn off A/C (and any other systems like PCM radio etc.) and let the engine run for 3 minutes.
2. Turn on A/C and wait another 3 minutes.
3. Turn off engine, remove the key, close & lock the car and wait one minute.
4. Restart car and PDK is now reset to factory default
*To turn off the PCM, Press & Hold the Left button until the PCM shuts down.

This procedure is comfirmed per Porsche document dated: June 7, 2018:
View attachment 232394
"*To turn off the PCM, Press & Hold the Left button until the PCM shuts down."

I wonder if this requirement is often overlooked?

-Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
It allegedly has helped some with certain issues.

From Teddis thread:

"*To turn off the PCM, Press & Hold the Left button until the PCM shuts down."

I wonder if this requirement is often overlooked?

-Rob
PDK reset was unsuccessful. I will give it another shot and see if it changes anything. Initially it seemed as though the clicking stopped but it did not. Here’s a visual of the speeds/gears. I’m in gear 7 at 40mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I’m looking for advice on how to escalate my issue to upper management. I am also going to seek legal advice at this point because I was never informed of a transmission failure until a “test drive” after bringing my car in for the clicking sound after they fixed the mechatronics. They refuse to take a look at their work to determine if they could have possibly repaired incorrectly.

I sent a message to Jason Nelson, customer care manager @ Porsche North America, who was also no help.

Help!

PDK reset was unsuccessful. I will give it another shot and see if it changes anything. Initially it seemed as though the clicking stopped but it did not. Here’s a visual of the speeds/gears. I’m in gear 7 at 40mph.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
PDK reset was unsuccessful. I will give it another shot and see if it changes anything. Initially it seemed as though the clicking stopped but it did not. Here’s a visual of the speeds/gears. I’m in gear 7 at 40mph. View attachment 245542
I don't imagine this will be of much use to you, but FWIW:

I have an '18 S, spec'ed, i.e., bought new, and delivered in Oct. '17. It now has about 57,000 miles.

For these past four years, the car has shifted into 7th at 41mph, if in normal (default) mode, and if taking it easy from a slower speed, on level ground. I often glance at the gear display, and that's been very consistent since day 1. The car seems to work just fine, and will still take off with authority, when given the beans, and of course hold gears quite a bit longer when doing that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That does help puts things in to perspective as far as the rapid change in gears.

I do, however, also see the gears jump all over the place but only when I mash to accelerate the vehicle. Ex from 7 to 4/3 up to 5/6 back to 7. I have a recorded video I can share which would better explain what I mean. I was told the vehicle would need to relearn my driving since the calibration were reset with the mechatronics repair. They also informed me that the valves were low which is why I’m in need of a new transmission. I came across on other forums that valves can be replaced. Not sure if that’s true or any helpful to my situation. I just do not believe the transmission is completely failing as they stated. The car was in perfect condition up until the gearbox failure then further issues arised after they completed the repair.

I don't imagine this will be of much use to you, but FWIW:

I have an '18 S, spec'ed, i.e., bought new, and delivered in Oct. '17. It now has about 57,000 miles.

For these past four years, the car has shifted into 7th at 41mph, if in normal (default) mode, and if taking it easy from a slower speed, on level ground. I often glance at the gear display, and that's been very consistent since day 1. The car seems to work just fine, and will still take off with authority, when given the beans, and of course hold gears quite a bit longer when doing that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts