Porsche Macan Forum banner
1001 - 1007 of 1007 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks grim, lots to consider in your post but I hadn't seen the bulletin before so it's interesting, though I'm not sure if it's possible to fit [or buy] the post 2018 units to fit to earlier cars:

Quote the bulletin:

"A mixed installation – transfer case with GNC plates and control unit software with an old
data version or vice versa – is not permitted.
Likewise, a cross installation (with another vehicle) is not permitted."

So with nitrocarburized plates [similar to nitriding which many of us might be familiar with], the control unit has to be replaced as well. I don't know what they mean by "cross installation (with another vehicle)". Does that mean that even if you replace both the TC and the control unit, it's not ok to fit a new unit to an older car?

Porsche isn't using these to replace earlier units and from many of the posts I've read here the replacement "X" units don't seem to last as long as the original units.

More later, thanks again

Jules

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
499 Posts
Looking at the "Verification transfer case upgrade" thread, there weren't any post March 2018 complaints about failure in that thread. Does this mean that there haven't been any failures with the modified case or that they're lost somewhere in the large volume of comments this topic has generated?

If post March 2018 cases have failed, are they replaced with the improved materials 95B.341.010.A with an X or if a post 2018 fails do you get a std. 95B.341.010 X?

I'd happily pay for an "A" if they were available and if they're actually lasting for a reasonable period of time.

At some point Porsche will surely drop the replacement policy that started at 7 years and is now rumoured to be 10 years. I suspect there will be a rush for the door to sell off a large number of cars that could need a replacement case every 20k miles [or maybe less] if that comes at full price.

Jules

·
Registered
517 Posts
I took possession of my brand new 2015 Macan S in September of 2014. I had been active on this forum for a while but especially during Covid didn't drive the car much, and didn't participate on the forum. Now of course I'm having transfer case issues and I'm almost a year out of the extended 7-year transfer case warranty, and have around 67k miles on the car. I had the car in for an oil change at the Porsche dealer a little before the warranty ended, and they didn't mention anything to me about the transfer case. Has anyone had any luck getting some love from Porsche after the warranty expired? I'm about the sell this car as I had planned to hang on to it for at least 10-15 years, but if a major component can fail after 67k miles and the manufacturer doesn't think that's a problem, then I'm done with Porsche for good.

Reactions: ISST

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I took possession of my brand new 2015 Macan S in September of 2014. I had been active on this forum for a while but especially during Covid didn't drive the car much, and didn't participate on the forum. Now of course I'm having transfer case issues and I'm almost a year out of the extended 7-year transfer case warranty, and have around 67k miles on the car. I had the car in for an oil change at the Porsche dealer a little before the warranty ended, and they didn't mention anything to me about the transfer case. Has anyone had any luck getting some love from Porsche after the warranty expired? I'm about the sell this car as I had planned to hang on to it for at least 10-15 years, but if a major component can fail after 67k miles and the manufacturer doesn't think that's a problem, then I'm done with Porsche for good.
@IvanC, was you transfer case ever serviced, meaning, was the oil changed at some point, or using original oil from 2014?

·
Registered
517 Posts
@IvanC, was you transfer case ever serviced, meaning, was the oil changed at some point, or using original oil from 2014?
Never serviced to my knowledge. I would take my car to the Porsche dealer when the car indicated service was due, and they would do the recommended service. I have since realized with my 2009 Cayenne that Porsche service intervals are ridiculously long and they seem to want you to have problems with your vehicle if you hang on to it long term (2009 Cayenne 3.6L transmission service interval according to Porsche is 16 years or 160k miles).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I agree. I think that knowing the universal issues with transfer case, that oil should be changed more frequently, like every 40K miles maximum.

My Macan is almost as old as yours. I took delivery on Nov 2014. I changed the TC oil for the first time about 3 months ago for the Porsche TC oil. Then, changed it again a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to move to Motul oil. Luckily no issues for me. I’ll be changing that oil going forward every 20-40K miles.

1001 - 1007 of 1007 Posts