Porsche Macan Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1043 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I too had to have my transfer case replaced on MY 2017 Macan GTS (delivered March 2016). Had the symptoms of a slipping transmission and I was about 1 month past the 4 year warranty and at 37,000 Km - about 24,000 miles.
Told by the dealer - Pfaff Porsche that this was a common issue as water/condensation gets into the transfer case fluid and this causes the case to fail. Luckily after some wrangling by the dealer with Porsche Canada - the case was replaced under warranty.
Must be some type of seal issue - I’ve never driven the GTS thru standing water etc.

· Registered
20 Posts
2017 S transfer case was replaced November 2020 at ~45k miles. Had been exhibiting symptoms for a while. Dealer had my car for several days because they were working on several at once and had to wait for a rack to be available.

· Premium Member
2018 Porsche macan gts techart. Full Techart.
37 Posts
So I am one of those who had their TC replaced. Typical symptoms. Actually thanx to this forum I was able to diagnose it and have them change it for a new one. I actually already bought the car and drove for a few days and then discovered that after I drive it for a few kms that it's acting up.

Called Techart where I got it from and they said let us drive it again and see. Right away they agreed with me and had the transfer case replaced.

Now I'm thinking, how soon should the oil inside the TC be replaced. What are your guys thoughts?

On Youtube I saw a few interesting videos of mechs who suggested doing it much more frequently then what is recommended.

What have some of you guys done who have had their TC replaced?

Thanx guys.

· Registered
4,096 Posts
Anyone experience a metallic whirring noise at relatively low speeds (~37mph) and at higher highway speeds? I hear it on smooth roads. A highway feeder with cars around, I can't hear it. But on a nice piece of road, yeah.

New wheels and new tires and new brakes. Still have the noise.

· Registered
124 Posts
Fired up the Macan this morning on my morning drive, and I heard cranking and grinding in low gears and only during acceleration. The wheels didn’t need to be turned or only going in reverse, and something clearly sounded off—almost like a metal pipe was dragging and grinding during acceleration. It came out of nowhere. There was no noticeable sound at speeds above 30-40mph while cruising. I have read this forum enough to know what is happening….

This seems like a textbook case of a transfer case failure, and I have an appointment with the Dealer to confirm it. I am looking for advice….

2015 Macan S (was previously CPO’d) and always serviced at a very reputable Indy shop that saves me at least 25%+ on regular maintenance. My Macan has 45K miles on it, and has been extremely well maintained. The “extended” 7 year warranty on the transfer case expired in 2021, and I have failed in the past when requesting goodwill service/coverage on fluky things. Oddly enough, the dealer said they had never changed one on an out of warranty vehicle so didn’t have a price estimate top of mind. I find that hard to believe, and not looking forward to seeing a repair quote once they diagnose.

I plan on pressing the service manager hard about requesting a goodwill repair. They are clearly defective regardless of time and/or mileage. Does anyone have tips or tricks on what I can do to make my case? There is almost no information about Porsche Goodwill. (I had a fluky rear suspension issue one month out of warranty denied by a goodwill request, and ended up replacing the rear shocks at an Indy.)

If the dealer comes back with an outrageous quote and no PCNA goodwill coverage, I might *** be done with the brand. The other option is take the job to an Indy, and I will again be on my toes waiting to see a quote for that service. I am expecting a quote in the $3,500 range, but won’t be surprised if I am way off too.

· Registered
398 Posts
A Porsche remanufactured Transfer Case is $3059 from Suncoast Porsche. An indie mechanic should be able to swap it without too much problem, it is just bolted to the tail of the transmission. I believe it can be swapped with the engine and transmission remaining in the vehicle.

As an FYI, Porsche (actually Magna) has revised the unit a few times, even after the "fixed" version (rev A, and AX) of March 2018. The Transfer Case in my 2019, built Dec 2018, is Rev = D.

· Registered
2 Posts
Had my TC replaced last week on 2018 Macan S with 22,000 miles. Service Advisor said this is a one time replacement by Porsche and there was no revision to the part. There has to be something that was new and improved or modified/updated?

· Registered
3 Posts
2017 base macan
Original Transfer case replaced at 50k miles, 4 years 4 months. Had been acting up at least 5k miles. Stiff and jerky at wheel lock; jerky at very low speeds. Replaced under pcna transfer case warranty extension

Transfer case 2 failed less than 6 weeks with 2k miles. Car went in to safe mode with warning lights. Had an X part number. Replaced with transfer case 3 under warranty extension, case 3 has an X part number

Transfer case 3 being replaced now 8 months/8k miles later, making 3 replacements in less than a year. Again under special warranty extension. Car at dealer so don’t know part number.

Anyone else on their 4th (or more) transfer case?

I now have zero confidence in these X part numbers. Refurbished, already failed units??
Clearly this transfer case issue is not resolved and the replacement parts I’ve been getting are not working out.

· Registered
587 Posts
TC gone at 50,000 miles. I'm negotiating with the nearest dealer with a chance that Porsche might replace the box even though it's just outside the 7 year extension period. It would be a once off, so if there's any chance of having the same experience as F....a above, with 4 replacements in quick time, only a madman would follow on, knowing you'd have to pay out each time because Porsche have disowned the problem.

From what I've read about X cases [rebuilt in Mexico I think], I'm not encouraged and will seriously consider selling the car if that's what is fitted.

It's been a horribly wet year here and I suspect that's played its part in the failure. A breather would help but as with so much else on these cars, there's no certainty and it's up to owners collectively to figure this stuff out to the best of their ability.

The other option might be to have the case rebuilt locally by an expert but first, find your expert. The Porsche price of $3,000 or so for a re-built case is quite outrageous when the actual cost might be $750 or less.

Jules

· Registered
3 Posts
TC gone at 50,000 miles. I'm negotiating with the nearest dealer with a chance that Porsche might replace the box even though it's just outside the 7 year extension period. It would be a once off, so if there's any chance of having the same experience as F....a above, with 4 replacements in quick time, only a madman would follow on, knowing you'd have to pay out each time because Porsche have disowned the problem.

From what I've read about X cases [rebuilt in India I think], I'm not encouraged and will seriously consider selling the car if that's what is fitted.

It's been a horribly wet year here and I suspect that's played its part in the failure. A breather would help but as with so much else on these cars, there's no certainty and it's up to owners collectively to figure this stuff out to the best of their ability.

The other option might be to have the case rebuilt locally by an expert but first, find your expert. The Porsche price of $3,000 or so for a re-built case is quite outrageous when the actual cost might be $750 or less.

Jules
Hope it works out for you. 3 TC failures in 9 months was too much for me so I sold the macan last week. Was told they used the same part number for replacement 3 as they used for replacements 1 and 2. So I concluded that the risk of future failures remains very high

· Registered
587 Posts
50 pages on this one now. I think I remember a post on the topic of rebuilding a TC. Can anyone direct me to it please?

Jules

· Registered
587 Posts
Sometime back Fast made the following comment:

Lastly, the SM said his dealership adds the friction modifier to all their TC rebuilds and suggested I do the same. Available from Porsche parts.
I'm wondering if anyone has come up with details of what this friction modifier might be.

I've read back through a decent amount of this thread and I'm wondering if the fact that I've been using off-road quite a lot recently might have compounded my problem. Lots of driving across wet, muddy and slippery paddocks must stress the TC.

Jules

· Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has come up with details of what this friction modifier might be.
Have you read the NHTSA bulletin?

So what is "gas nitrocarburizing"?

" Reduction of the friction coefficient, and thus improved gliding properties
Reduced adhesion to wear partner"

Whats a Friction Modifier? Products that reduce friction. It sounds like gas nitrocarburizing to me. Pull up the parts catalogue

95B 341 010 A used after 3/5/18. Reported here

Its not X. That might be a remanufacture part, the original part is just A

981 - 1000 of 1043 Posts