Porsche Macan Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1007 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts
Thank you for discussing my issue with your service advisor. The Asheville Porsche dealer determined my TC needed to be replaced again. This time the issue was not a rough acceleration like the first time but the car now being stuck in rear wheel drive only. My service advisor pretty much just shrugged when I expressed my dissatisfaction at having to replace a $3K TC again after only 2 years and 9k miles and offered no further assistance. I called Porsche's 800# which was pretty much a total waste of time. Then I wrote to Porsche through their website. 10+ business days later they still have no response for me. I reached out again and was told my inquiry/case was still being reviewed. Do you have any suggestions on how to communicate with Porsche to get them to consider reimbursing me? My extended 7 year warranty that they issued expires almost 2 months ago so it is no longer under their warranty. Any advice would be appreciated.
Three more days. Heard back from them?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thank you for discussing my issue with your service advisor. The Asheville Porsche dealer determined my TC needed to be replaced again. This time the issue was not a rough acceleration like the first time but the car now being stuck in rear wheel drive only. My service advisor pretty much just shrugged when I expressed my dissatisfaction at having to replace a $3K TC again after only 2 years and 9k miles and offered no further assistance. I called Porsche's 800# which was pretty much a total waste of time. Then I wrote to Porsche through their website. 10+ business days later they still have no response for me. I reached out again and was told my inquiry/case was still being reviewed. Do you have any suggestions on how to communicate with Porsche to get them to consider reimbursing me? My extended 7 year warranty that they issued expires almost 2 months ago so it is no longer under their warranty. Any advice would be appreciated.
Would be very surprised if PCNA does not cover this given several other forum members had TC replacements covered under warranty even though the extended warranty had expired. How would you describe your relationship with the dealer?

Anyone else think “nightmare” is a bit over dramatic?

Finally, something smells funny on this. The dealer had trouble finding a technician that knows how to replace a transfer case? It’s not that difficult. Something doesn’t seem right here. If the dealer’s technicians are so poorly trained, makes one wonder if perhaps PCNA is questioning whether the TC really needs to be replaced again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Three more days. Heard back from them?
Hi. Thanks for checking. I have not heard a thing from PCNA. My dealer called to say they heard from PCNA who inquired on situation. Dealer also said they are
trying to reach out to Region Manager and also working with dealership to see about lowering cost of repair. Maybe this is all positive. Time will tell. I am still hoping PCNA will admit they have a part failure on their hands still and cover full cost of repair - it's the right thing for them to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would be very surprised if PCNA does not cover this given several other forum members had TC replacements covered under warranty even though the extended warranty had expired. How would you describe your relationship with the dealer?

Anyone else think “nightmare” is a bit over dramatic?

Finally, something smells funny on this. The dealer had trouble finding a technician that knows how to replace a transfer case? It’s not that difficult. Something doesn’t seem right here. If the dealer’s technicians are so poorly trained, makes one wonder if perhaps PCNA is questioning whether the TC really needs to be replaced again.
I hope you are correct and PCNA covers the cost of the repair. My relationship with dealer is fine. I bought car in Austin and had serviced in Austin for 4 yrs then moved to Asheville area 3 years ago and Asheville Porsche dealer does all the maintenance. Typical relationship I would say.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello. I would like to know what Porsche’s stance on extended warranty on the transfer case on a modded car (big turbo, ecu tune etc.).

Unfortunately my Macan started showing the symptoms of a bad transfer case and would like to know if they will cover it or not. I would like to mention that I had my dealership do the regular gearbox oil changes on a timely manner

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
You'll need to check your country's laws on that. In the US, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers by requiring the manufacturer to prove that the mod is responsible for the fault. I'm obviously simplifying things, but your laws should dictate how this issue is handled. I expect that the dealership will want to point fingers at your mods, so may have a fight on your hands. Good luck!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'm in the US. I have a good relationship with my service advisor. He is well aware I have a Cobb tune on my 2018 GTS. He said nothing about my tune and he had my transfer case replaced with no issues. I did revert the ECU back to stock just in case any software updates and scans were necessary after the part replacement and flashed it back after I got the car back.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2017 Base (37k miles) started exhibiting the 'bumpy' feeling along with an abnormal noise under initial acceleration. My SA said one of the things they do to verify if it's the transfer case/box is to disconnect the front driveshaft and then road test the vehicle as a rear wheel drive vehicle to see if the problem remains or disappears. They confirmed that my transfer case/box was faulty, and much to my good luck, they had one in stock, so I was able to get mine diagnosed and replaced all in one day. They didn't give me any special instructions to follow for breaking it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brought my 2016 Macan Turbo (64K miles) into my local German performance shop for an oil change and to have them confirm my suspicion - faulty transfer case. Scheduled for service first week of Jan at my local Porsche dealer (also having them provide a advice/quote on timing cover leak. classic).

Will update with conclusion after the scheduled service!

·
Registered
85 Posts
What were the symptoms that led you to think you had a tranfer case issue? I have a 2018 GTS with 36K miles that I have owned for about 8 months. The one thing that bothers me is a low rpm shudder when accelerating slowly from a stop or driving with light throttle in 6th or7th gear. I assumed this was just some turbo lag, but maybe it is related to the transfer case?

·
Registered
114 Posts
What were the symptoms that led you to think you had a tranfer case issue? I have a 2018 GTS with 36K miles that I have owned for about 8 months. The one thing that bothers me is a low rpm shudder when accelerating slowly from a stop or driving with light throttle in 6th or7th gear. I assumed this was just some turbo lag, but maybe it is related to the transfer case?
As for the symptoms I was experiencing- I was starting to feel a shuddering sensation at slow speeds, like when leaving from a stop. Once I got some speed going everything smoothed out. Along with the shuddering I was also getting a subtle noise, also only upon initial acceleration. My dealer diagnosed the issue as being the TC, and they fortunately had one in stock, so I was in and out on the same day; issues are all gone now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me it’s only noticeable at slow speeds. The best test I can do is park in a lot with new pavement and do a slow 1st to 2nd accel and start turning. When I do this it feels like I’m driving over pebbles (your low rpm shudder). That being said, I do not, and my Porsche mechanic, do not feel anything at higher speeds or gears. Best bet is to get it checked out ASAP and take advantage of PNA covering it for the time being.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had mine replaced on Tuesday @ 29k Figured I would have a loaner for atleast a week and a half because of the holiday. Porsche of the Mainline finished the job in 1 day! (had an updated transfer case in stock) A+ service

·
Registered
340 Posts
Took my 2017 Macan S into the dealer for its 40K miles service. Told them I was experiencing occasional bucking when accelerating form a stop. SA called me the next day to say I needed brakes and rotors ( I inquired about replacing the pads only, was told the Porsche requires pads and rotors replaced at the same time) and BTW the transfer case that was replaced less than a year ago was now defective and needed to be replaced again.
Memo to Porsche, great driving experience only goes so far, at some point owners will leave if parts are unreliable and fixes have to be fixed. I am waiting breathlessly for my timing cover to start leaking. Having second thoughts about keeping this vehicle long term.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Took my 2017 Macan S into the dealer for its 40K miles service. Told them I was experiencing occasional bucking when accelerating form a stop. SA called me the next day to say I needed brakes and rotors ( I inquired about replacing the pads only, was told the Porsche requires pads and rotors replaced at the same time) and BTW the transfer case that was replaced less than a year ago was now defective and needed to be replaced again.
Memo to Porsche, great driving experience only goes so far, at some point owners will leave if parts are unreliable and fixes have to be fixed. I am waiting breathlessly for my timing cover to start leaking. Having second thoughts about keeping this vehicle long term.
I was in the exact same position. My xfer case went at 43k miles I think. But that was replaced under warranty.

Everytime I took my car in, the SA and I would shoot the bull when I went to pick it up about what could happen next. They attempted to isolate the bigger problems to certain years or manf dates or ranges, but never were able to pin it down. While he didn't tell me the exact number, he said they had quite a few xfer cases replaced. It's an easy swap but the part itself is costly. As far as the timing chain cover, he said he's more concerned about that. He went into a few other things they had seen that probably they shouldn't see. He mentioned Porsche had recently authorized new bolts , but it sounded like there was no real definite solution. For the xfer case, they had a customer who was out of warranty but they caught the problem early, so they changed the fluid on it before it got so bad and that cleared things up. So anecdotally, it looked like this was a workaround or some short term thing for the time being.

I drove both Caymans and a 911 I had out of warranty for a long time. But my CPO on the Macan would expire in January. In the end, I could live with everything other than a gamble on a timing chain cover.

·
Registered
2015 Macan Turbo
7 Posts
I just got my 2015 Turbo about a month ago. It was showing symptoms of transfer case issues (some hesitation on accel, clunking once in a while). My local dealer got me in quickly and ordered a transfer case before I even dropped the car off. Had it done in under half a day. Symptoms are gone, back to driving smoothly again. I have 48k miles.

961 - 980 of 1007 Posts