Porsche Macan Forum banner

481 - 500 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK

So, you've volunteered to do that? Thank you!

You may have to do a bit of legwork. You know, searching various threads. Possibly searching the internet? Surely someone
has written something about it.

How about taking it to your Porsche dealer or local Porsche independent?

It's pretty tough to diagnose things over the internet in text format...

Good luck!
The sarcasm and insulting tone is not welcome. This is a thread to document and discuss and issue and here you are balking at the suggestion of compiling that information into a useful format. I don't have any issue that I am experiencing that I need to get diagnosed. I just asked a basic question.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With a sept 2018 build your car has the revised transfer case. Not saying it can't be prone to problems, but majority of transfer case issues arise in pre-march 2018 build dates
That is my assumption based on reading here - I asked the question simply to know what to look for just in case. Not saying the issues are turbo lag.

·
Banned
618 Posts
OK

So, you've volunteered to do that? Thank you!

You may have to do a bit of legwork. You know, searching various threads. Possibly searching the internet? Surely someone
has written something about it.

How about taking it to your Porsche dealer or local Porsche independent?

It's pretty tough to diagnose things over the internet in text format...

Good luck!
And then you PM me and ask why I think some admins here are not too well rounded.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
February 2018
I think it is a crap shoot. You should get underneath your car and see if you can read the part number on the transfer case. The new ones have a letter after the numbers. From what I have read here in other posts is the month March 2018 being when the switch to the new part was made.

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
32 Posts
Well, it started off very slowly and didn't pay much attention until today, looks like i'm a victim of a transfer case issue...now i have a question ..I just purchased this car about a month ago from porsche dealer..it is cpo...before taking possession of the car, i had read about transfer case recalls...I had mentioned it to my sales rep, as i wanted to have them take care of it if needed...he responded that in order for a car to be cpo'd, it would have to have all things corrected....so are they at fault for not correcting the issue in order to get the cpo certification, if in fact it is a transfer case issue..will be taking to dealer tomorrow...this is not the dealer from which i purchased the car...I did purchase out of state...and i will say it was a very good experience...but ****, in looking back since i started to drive the car, there were little signs that started pretty much immediately....

·
Banned
618 Posts
Well, it started off very slowly and didn't pay much attention until today, looks like i'm a victim of a transfer case issue...now i have a question ..I just purchased this car about a month ago from porsche dealer..it is cpo...before taking possession of the car, i had read about transfer case recalls...I had mentioned it to my sales rep, as i wanted to have them take care of it if needed...he responded that in order for a car to be cpo'd, it would have to have all things corrected....so are they at fault for not correcting the issue in order to get the cpo certification, if in fact it is a transfer case issue..will be taking to dealer tomorrow...this is not the dealer from which i purchased the car...I did purchase out of state...and i will say it was a very good experience...but ****, in looking back since i started to drive the car, there were little signs that started pretty much immediately....
Same happened to me. That's why you got CPO - to figure out the issues which dealers decided not to disclose. I would also suggest to jump down under the car and see if there are any leaks - maybe you need TCC leak fix as well.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Sleep well. You are covered by the Porsche Fairies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So took my Macan in to my preferred Indy shop because of a chirping noise almost like a belt chirp at slow accell and decel/braking under 2k rpm. He couldn't isolate the noise but we both agree it's coming from the front right side, what he did notice was a little vibration from the transfer case (I've noticed it before too but wasn't sure) and recommended I have a Porsche dealer take a look at it. My question is could the chirping be caused by transfer case?
Update: my vehicle went in for a Transfer Case replacement and came back without that annoying chirp so the issue was indeed related. I do however miss my Miami Blue GTS loaner which has made me want to modify my exhaust, lower it and do a wrap 🤦🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
2018 Macan GTS
32 Posts
Just got the car back...tc fixed...also had to get the blind spot module replaced as it went it out....same thing happened on my previous s.....

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Second Transfer Case :oops::oops::oops:

I had my transfer case replaced on August 2019. Last week I noticed the car had the same jerkiness that I was experiencing when the transfer case was replaced. This morning I took my Macan to the dealer and mentioned to my SA. He shared with me that he had other Macans replacing transfer case more than once. He asked his senior technician to take my car for a ride and within 2 minutes (he probably only drove in the parking lot) he came back and said the transfer case was bad. I already have an appointment with a loaner for mid next week to get it replaced again. I asked him how many times I should expect to that to happen and he said since there is a recall I should not worry and it will be replaced as many times as needed. He said that in the Northern states where there is more moisture that is pretty common to happen. Anyway, I will get a new transfer case again next week. Car has 52k miles.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Second Transfer Case :oops::oops::oops:

I had my transfer case replaced on August 2019. Last week I noticed the car had the same jerkiness that I was experiencing when the transfer case was replaced. This morning I took my Macan to the dealer and mentioned to my SA. He shared with me that he had other Macans replacing transfer case more than once. He asked his senior technician to take my car for a ride and within 2 minutes (he probably only drove in the parking lot) he came back and said the transfer case was bad. I already have an appointment with a loaner for mid next week to get it replaced again. I asked him how many times I should expect to that to happen and he said since there is a recall I should not worry and it will be replaced as many times as needed. He said that in the Northern states where there is more moisture that is pretty common to happen. Anyway, I will get a new transfer case again next week. Car has 52k miles.
I wasn't going to "Like" your problem post, but thanks for the report.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
70 Posts
The Porsche mechanic taught me how to quickly diagnose the problem:

Turn the car on, turn OFF-ROAD on, reverse slowly with steering wheel fully turned one way. Then go forward with the steering wheel fully turned the other way. Repeat a couple of times. OFF-ROAD switch on magnifies the clunking, grabbing etc. like 10X. Very easy to tell if it's bad with the switch on.
Just tried your diagnostic technique and ... WOW, the clunking/grabbing was significant. Looks like I have a transfer case problem. Car goes in next week. Thanks Jasp, I appreciate you posting the info!

Question to the community: after reversing, coming to a full stop and then accelerating forward, I sometimes experience a 1-2 second hesitation. The engine revs, but the transmission doesn't seem to engage. This isn't the lethargic transmission in comfort mode irritant. Is this also the transfer case problem?

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
70 Posts
Add me to the list:
2017 Macan GTS
55202 KM / 34300 miles

Please be aware: Mechanic tried to disallow my warranty claim because of wheel spacers on the car. He showed me a Porsche bulletin which stated spacers qualified as a drivetrain modification and therefore no warranty. Yeah I know, ridiculous!

Fortunately the Service Manager was listening and approved the warranty claim without a battle. So to be safe, consider taking your spacers off if you are going in for a diagnosis.

Crazy thing is this dealer has a tuner department that installs springs, shocks, exhaust, downpipes, bigger wheels/tires and ....... spacers

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Add me to the list:
2017 Macan GTS
55202 KM / 34300 miles

Please be aware: Mechanic tried to disallow my warranty claim because of wheel spacers on the car. He showed me a Porsche bulletin which stated spacers qualified as a drivetrain modification and therefore no warranty. Yeah I know, ridiculous!

Fortunately the Service Manager was listening and approved the warranty claim without a battle. So to be safe, consider taking your spacers off if you are going in for a diagnosis.

Crazy thing is this dealer has a tuner department that installs springs, shocks, exhaust, downpipes, bigger wheels/tires and ....... spacers
Good tip. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just tried your diagnostic technique and ... WOW, the clunking/grabbing was significant. Looks like I have a transfer case problem. Car goes in next week. Thanks Jasp, I appreciate you posting the info!

Question to the community: after reversing, coming to a full stop and then accelerating forward, I sometimes experience a 1-2 second hesitation. The engine revs, but the transmission doesn't seem to engage. This isn't the lethargic transmission in comfort mode irritant. Is this also the transfer case problem?
Just tried that diagnostic technique as well. Thank you for re-posting.

I feel fortunate that my Macan, after 96K miles, is not showing any symptoms of a bad transfer case (knock on wood...). I am, however, a bit nervous as the recently issued extended warranty does expire at 100K miles. So, I will keep testing frequently until I cross that threshold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys, appreciate all your input. I have definitely noticed my '15 Turbo have problem "sometimes" when I'm backing out the garage door into driveway, and then when I go from R to D there is a big lurch....like it's searching for gear...no real noise other than a clunky feel......but it only does it sometime......maybe depending on how far I've turned steering wheel? But I have noticed in sport plus when I'm coasting, the downshift is very revvy and shudders....

Appreciate your thoughts, but I brought this to my dealer last year, and they said TC is fine......however, my CPO expiring next month and after re-reading your posts, I think I will spell it out for them this time.

Thanks again for any thoughts you may have.

481 - 500 of 513 Posts