Porsche Macan Forum banner

461 - 480 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
So took my Macan in to my preferred Indy shop because of a chirping noise almost like a belt chirp at slow accell and decel/braking under 2k rpm. He couldn't isolate the noise but we both agree it's coming from the front right side, what he did notice was a little vibration from the transfer case (I've noticed it before too but wasn't sure) and recommended I have a Porsche dealer take a look at it. My question is could the chirping be caused by transfer case?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did hear the chirp on multiple cars. I had my old macan S brought in multiple times to figure it out and they failed to fix it. supposedly that chirping is normal. It goes on when your idle is low. When you switch to sports mode it goes away.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
So took my Macan in to my preferred Indy shop because of a chirping noise almost like a belt chirp at slow accell and decel/braking under 2k rpm. He couldn't isolate the noise but we both agree it's coming from the front right side, what he did notice was a little vibration from the transfer case (I've noticed it before too but wasn't sure) and recommended I have a Porsche dealer take a look at it. My question is could the chirping be caused by transfer case?

Unfortunately, you don't state the year of your Macan nor the number of miles on it.

Are you aware there are already at least 10 threads on the issue?

Be sure to visit the following link and read its content:

I am merging this thread with the 23 page, 460 post thread on the topic.

Without driving your Macan in person, it is next to impossible for forum members to diagnose the issue
you are having with your Macan.

Good luck getting it resolved!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately, you don't state the year of your Macan nor the number of miles on it.

Are you aware there are already at least 10 threads on the issue?
I'm aware but I haven't seen anything that associates the chirping sound to the Transfer Case 🤷🏽‍♂️

I am merging this thread with the 23 page, 460 post thread on the topic.

Without driving your Macan in person, it is next to impossible for forum members to diagnose the issue
you are having with your Macan.

Good luck getting it resolved!
Well I wasn't looking for a diagnosis from forum members as I stated it earlier I tool it to an Indy shop for that, I was merely inquiring to see if other members have experienced similar issues and if they were associated with the Transfer Case.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
@Cap1, you have to appreciate that this is a very discerning forum. Was the chirp like a common House Sparrow? Or more like a Red Breasted Nuthatch?

·
Registered
2018 MACAN S
4 Posts
2018 Macan S, 8000 miles. Hesitation on low speed acceleration, getting worse. Explained to dealer by phone. Scheduled me in next week after insuring a "new" transfer case is in stock for my appointment. I have the replacement PN to check. Any additional suggestions for my visit?

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
2018 Macan S, 8000 miles. Hesitation on low speed acceleration, getting worse. Explained to dealer by phone. Scheduled me in next week after insuring a "new" transfer case is in stock for my appointment. I have the replacement PN to check. Any additional suggestions for my visit?
What month was your car built?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Spend time with your SA. Get to know him if you don’t already. Follow up with your SA by email. Mine responds the same day if I ping him. And if any changes come up, mine pings me. Thursday he emailed me saying they found a broken alternator bracket piece and there would be a delay till Monday or Tuesday. I didn’t have to call and find out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is there a comprehensive guide to the various symptoms at this point? When I was buying my Macan I was told to listen for specific issues when going in tight circles but it seems that the symptom list has expanded since then, but I can't go through 460 posts looking for a comprehensive guide. It would be good if the first post could link to a wiki or something so there is a single place to look on the current state.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Is there a comprehensive guide to the various symptoms at this point? When I was buying my Macan I was told to listen for specific issues when going in tight circles but it seems that the symptom list has expanded since then, but I can't go through 460 posts looking for a comprehensive guide. It would be good if the first post could link to a wiki or something so there is a single place to look on the current state.
OK

So, you've volunteered to do that? Thank you!

You may have to do a bit of legwork. You know, searching various threads. Possibly searching the internet? Surely someone
has written something about it.

How about taking it to your Porsche dealer or local Porsche independent?

It's pretty tough to diagnose things over the internet in text format...

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Just adding to the intel body of knowledge.

I have a 2018 Macan S. Built in the fall of 2017. I just took it in for an oil change at 34,000 miles a week ago.

I had noticed a slight hesitation from stop but nothing too significant. Because of the known issue, I asked them to check the transfer case while they had it. And, it was bad. Fixed at no cost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How significant is the hesitation - can it be confused with turbo lag?
I have a Sept. 2018 build - seem to just have turbo lag in comfort mode. had the car for about 6 months ago with around 9k miles and now just over 10k.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I have a Sept. 2018 build - seem to just have turbo lag in comfort mode. had the car for about 6 months ago with around 9k miles and now just over 10k.
For me, it couldn’t be mistaken for turbo lag. The hesitation was from a dead stop to forward movement. Just a tenth to half a second before the car seemed to engage. Almost like the lag you would feel from placing it into Drive from Neutral.

·
Registered
216 Posts
With a sept 2018 build your car has the revised transfer case. Not saying it can't be prone to problems, but majority of transfer case issues arise in pre-march 2018 build dates

·
Registered
2018 MACAN S
4 Posts
Defiantly not turbo lag. Noticed at the start of light acceleration (first gear shift to second gear, light throttle) seemed like a clutch slipping, just a bit a first. Then got worse and more noticeable. With hard acceleration not noticeable. Got my CPO Macan S Sept 2020, 4100 miles, one lady owner. First noticed issue about 7000 miles.

461 - 480 of 513 Posts