Porsche Macan Forum banner

441 - 460 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
How long did the work take?
Surprisingly not long. Did not expect to get car back for 2-3 weeks, especially with the holidays. Maybe a week once they got the ok from Porsche to start the work. 10 days gone from me total. Must've had parts just sitting around? 🤷‍♂️

The price was right. I'll let you all know if I find out something different when I actually pick it up.

Kinda making me think about that trade in vs keep for a long time argument though.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I think PCNA paid 100% for his Timing Cover, engine out repair, with his car out of warranty (Good Will)

As they should for every Macan owner with this known issue.

Reactions: jzwu

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Just like the TC issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
TCC = Timing Chain Cover

TC = Transfer Case

There is no timing cover. What is a "timing", anyway? :oops:

Adding to the confusion are posts mixing both issues in the same thread!

Are forum members, in general, unfamiliar with what a timing chain is and how it works?
How about timing belt - a lower cost and quieter alternative, requiring periodic replacement?

:unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I meant the TCC repair should be covered by Porsche even out of warranty just like the TC repair. LOL

Reactions: jsind17

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Hopefully, Porsche will step up on the TCC (Timing chain cover) leak as they did on the TC (Transfer case) issue.

Reactions: Louie Zoi

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
28 Posts
For any Canadians wondering if the warranty extends to them, here is the FINAL answer, YES! Go and book an appointment. Brand new install below. I checked because I trust no one!

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
@grim -- Would you be willing to update me on the list of transfer case replacements? I'm getting my second replacement done today (previous replacement was early 2017).

It took a while for the symptoms show up on one of the rare occasions when a tech was behind the wheel, but it finally happened today, and the dealership has a new transfer case in stock, so -- yeah. Might as well get it done.

FWIW, the symptoms this time around were more gradual in their onset and more subtle in their presentation as compared to the original 2015 TC. This time, it was a hesitation while shifting more so than a jerk or a grinding, and much harder to replicate with the Off Road > Full Lock > Reverse in a Circle dance (or whatever it was that a lot of us were doing four years ago).

Still love this car, and the repair is covered by Porsche, so no complaints. The Macan remains a joy to drive, especially on the long road trips I dream of resuming once the pandemic is under better control. We've done Lake Michigan to the Pacific Ocean four times now, plus Mexico to Canada, and with lots of twisty roads in the east calling our name for future exploration once travel is safe enough.

Maybe this transfer case will last? After the joyful surprise of winning a regional TrackSprint season championship in 2019 with the Macan, I figure the SUV earned a comfortable retirement from competition. The 2020 season saw another jacket in a different class, this time in a two-door with more camber adjustments and cheaper consumables, but MAN, I sure do miss the Macan's creature comforts on the way to and from events.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I thought Porsche had made some changes/improvements to the transfer case to fix this issue?

Does the replacement TC have a different part# vs. the original P#?

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Anyone knows the new part# for the revised breather? One should be able to order it from the dealer and install it when changing the TC fluid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
U.K. based 2017 diesel owner here. Transfer case just replaced at just under 4 years and 34K miles. I had an extended warranty so not an issue.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Yes - this has been discussed. Both modifications to the breather and part number have been made.
Thanks!
So if a new, improved TC is used, why do some here on MF have the new one fail?
I wonder if those who had 2nd failure can check their invoice & the P/N & compare it to the new P/N.

Perhaps some dealers replaced the old, defective TC with a brand new, old defective TC, which will likely fail again.
So while the replacement part was technically new, they all should never be used.

I actually had something similar happen with my old Jag. The auto adjusting mirror would get discolored & then leak corrosive liquid onto the CC. Often damaging the wood veneer. Much discussion on Jaguar Forum on this years ago. The company that supplied the mirror stepped up & offered free replacement mirror. They said the new style had a gel vs liquid inside so that can never happen again.
I forgot if I paid for shipping. I think I did. New mirror worked great & then... several years later, it happened again!
(I always caught the discoloration & immediately placed a towel underneath to protect the car & was "lucky" in that I had it fixed b4 it actually leaked. Just mirror glass discoloration.)

I contacted the company again & I think they were out of business but, I found the company who now was handling the mirror repair/swap. This time I had to pay ~ $100 + shipping. Got new mirror in a week or 2. I spoke to them to ask how it can happen again & was told my mirror NOW is the gel type but, the mirror I sent in was the old style liquid! They surmised that the 1st replacement must have been "new, old" stick!

441 - 460 of 460 Posts