Porsche Macan Forum banner

401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just had mine replaced yesterday - ~46k miles. You can feel it bumping while accelerating, like there is a small bump, jerk, skip with the inertia as you accelerate through through the gears. It was very noticable in reverse, and you might think it's the transmission. Since my bushings were shot to ****, and tried to pay attention to everything with how the car felt before I dropped it off. When I picked it up, it was night and day.

This is what a my dealer did to confirm....
Drive car (problem is present)
Reporgram control unit for xfer case and drive car (problem is present)
Unplug transfer case and drive car (problem is not present)
Confirmed xfer case needs replacement
Thanks, that extremely helpful! Now I am going to drive around in reverse for a bit. Might even throw in a few J-turns Rockford style (J-turn - Wikipedia). Well, maybe not with such a dodgy transfer case underneath...

·
Registered
583 Posts
And I had a 1,000 mile drive to do right after the repair to return home! Thankfully, no problems. Hats off to the mechanics for doing a professional correct job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my '15 Macan S with 17400 miles in yesterday for the fuel pump flange recall. Came home with a new transfer case. Apparently this problem has become so common that dealers are now stocking replacements. Took about 2.5 hours to do the recall and transfer case swap. Although I had noticed some of the vibration and stuttering issues during backing and slow acceleration, it apparently developed slowly enough that I didn't realize how bad it was. I had mentioned it during a couple previous service visits and was told all was normal. Driving home yesterday was a night and day difference. Drives like a new Macan now.
Exactly my experience! 11,700 miles

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having my transfer case replaced as I write this. I posted something about it a couple of weeks ago here: Does your front end hop and skip on tight turns?
(my thread was apparently moved to this) People suggested that the shuddering I was feeling at low speed with the wheel turned sharply was likely Ackerman. SA said the same thing when I emailed him but said bring it in and he would check it out. I wasn't planning on it but as "luck" would have it I got a flat and needed tires anyway (the dealer actually has really good deals on tires). So I said to check out the TC while I was there and sure enough, having it replaced under CPO warranty. 2017 S I bought 9 months ago with 50K mi, now has 77K miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You were absolutely right - transfer case. Also a drive shaft. Does a bad transfer case hurt the drive shaft ? Or unrelated ? And recently when the steering wheel moves up upon a start it would make a grinding noise. The fix was a new steering column. All warranty work. It makes me feel better about my $750 2nd year oil change from the dealer.

·
Registered
635 Posts
One more to add to the list, 2017 S, out of warranty, dealer replaced no charge.
100% covered under good will?

How far out of warranty?

You are so lucky.

I am having issue with timing chain cover leak. Waiting for dealer to get back to be about good will repair. He already told me there will be some costs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have started noticing that the car does not shift smoothly from 2nd to 3rd gear about 2 months ago.. The dealer wasn't able to duplicate the concern. Ever since, the following symptoms are present:

1) Light acceleration at gear 2 and 3 slight judder (feels like small bumps on the road but road is smooth), and sometimes it makes a grinding noise during shifts in the middle at the bottom of the vehicle
2) Decelerate when downshift from gear 3 to 2, hesitation (feels like pulling from the back) before coming to a full stop
3) Slight hesitation when reversing slowly
4) Highway speed – if release gas pedal, and press gas pedal again, car vibrates (feel it on the gas pedal and steering wheel)
5) When the car is slowing down to almost 20-30 km/h at gear 2/3, and when I accelerate again, the car judders/hesitates a little with grinding noises.

All of the above are more pronounced when on an incline.

I am wondering if the transfer case is failing. Will be bringing the car to the dealership next week to take care of an ongoing oil leak issue (4th visit in 2 months), and hopefully they can fix both issues once and for all.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
And that's what your TC looks like

Just had mine replaced 2015 Turbo, 30K miles, done with the oil leak repair, under warranty

View attachment 231995
So it does appear they pull the engine and transmission out to replace the transfer case? Wow....

·
Registered
76 Posts
So it does appear they pull the engine and transmission out to replace the transfer case? Wow....
I'm pretty sure that's not true. They pull the engine and transmission for the timing chain cover leak. When it's out it's easier to do the transfer case. Otherwise, the transfer case is done from the underside.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's not true. They pull the engine and transmission for the timing chain cover leak. When it's out it's easier to do the transfer case. Otherwise, the transfer case is done from the underside.
That's what I thought, but see the photo.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone had issues with ride quality since TC and/or driveshaft replacement? I have recently had both done and I feel like the car is not as smooth when driving.

Feels like I'm on a really bad road surface with imperfection when I'm not...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I too have the “Macan Stumble”.....went to the dealer and they said they start with changing out the transfer case fluid and adding a ”friction modifier” which may fix the situation......all to the tune of 450 bucks.........but guess what.......it is still doing it.....the “Macan Stumble” is a little more subdued after the change....but still there and definitely still noticeable........will be taking it back in.....any suggestions.....beside asking for a refund for the “fluid change” which did not remedy the situation.....should I at this point push for the replacement.....was surprised they decided to go this route and not just change it out since it seems to be a widespread issue.....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So I too have the “Macan Stumble”.....went to the dealer and they said they start with changing out the transfer case fluid and adding a ”friction modifier” which may fix the situation......all to the tune of 450 bucks.........but guess what.......it is still doing it.....the “Macan Stumble” is a little more subdued after the change....but still there and definitely still noticeable........will be taking it back in.....any suggestions.....beside asking for a refund for the “fluid change” which did not remedy the situation.....should I at this point push for the replacement.....was surprised they decided to go this route and not just change it out since it seems to be a widespread issue.....
So here is my “quick” take...

Mine is still there as well. I believe it to be a ECU and/or PDK programming issue. If I reset the ECU via my Cobb, many times, the stumble seems to “disappear”for awhile... then, it (slowly) comes back. I think there is a programming issue somewhere in one of those two items... and when the right driving patterns emerge, the problem rears its head.

...again... just my conclusion after dealing with it for two years and reading about “Porsche stumbles” across the Internet in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2015 Macan S. I had a mechanic change the transfer case fluid ($120) but still had the problem. Brought it in to the local Porsche dealer and told him about the TSB / design flaw issue on the transfer case. The guy didn't blink, immediately changed the transfer case at no cost, problem has disappeared. If they give you trouble just mention that Porsche North America covers this 100% as it's a design flaw (I believe they changed the transfer case for 2017+ models, precisely because of this - from what I've read, condensation builds up in the transfer case and this causes the hiccups when accelerating). I don't have any extended warranty. Be aware that there are a couple of other recalls as well, which they should address, and on top of that, there's an issue with the steering column (middle?) shaft which makes the steering wheel creak when you move it side to side, which they should replace but my guy refused to do it, saying that all they can do is lubricate it. Make sure they actually remove the shaft when they lubricate it, and they do it with the shaft standing up, not laying down, otherwise you'll be back there in no time... Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Recently purchased a 2017 Macan S and took it to the dealership for some software update (they couldn't even tell me what it was for but they performed it for free out of warranty) - when there I had them print out the service records and noticed the previous owner had it in for the transfer case looks like they charged him $341 for a friction additive and it stated that it would likely need to be replaced. When I asked my SA about it she said they had recently extended the warranty on transfer cases and not to worry, they ended up dropping of a new 2020 cayenne taking the Macan in swapping it for free and dropping it back off the next day.

I also had the bolts replaced on the timing cover but I will post that info in the oil leak thread that still appears to be active.

401 - 420 of 460 Posts