Porsche Macan Forum banner

301 - 320 of 344 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Well I am sad to say my beloved 2018 GTS is getting a new transfer case on Tuesday. I took it in today for its 2 year service at 13,500 miles. They gave me a beautiful Miami Blue 2019 base to drive around in and I noticed that the loaner had more get up and go than my GTS. When I got home I was going to call the dealer and ask him, but he beat me to the call and he called me. He told me that he noticed a problem when he was driving it into the bay. They are going to order the part on first thing on Monday and hopefully have me in mine Tuesday afternoon. When he was explaining to me what he noticed, I go oh the transfer case is bad, right?

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Well I am sad to say my beloved 2018 GTS is getting a new transfer case on Tuesday. I took it in today for its 2 year service at 13,500 miles. They gave me a beautiful Miami Blue 2019 base to drive around in and I noticed that the loaner had more get up and go than my GTS. When I got home I was going to call the dealer and ask him, but he beat me to the call and he called me. He told me that he noticed a problem when he was driving it into the bay. They are going to order the part on first thing on Monday and hopefully have me in mine Tuesday afternoon. When he was explaining to me what he noticed, I go oh the transfer case is bad, right?
what is your build date?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Put car in offroad mode, slowly reverse and turning steering wheel all the way left and right. It should be very obvious. This test has been documented on the forum extensively.
I did this exact thing and told the tech. He said car should never be put in offroad mode on pavement and said by doing so I was causing the transfer case to fail and that its normal for car to buck on pavement. I'm honestly sick of going back and forth with them. 2nd time ive brought it up now, and this was at a different dealership too. I just wish my symptoms were more "drastic" or that the transfer case would fail even more so they could go ahead and replace it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What did he describe the symptoms to you as? And did you ever notice anything yourself before driving the loaner?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
What did he describe the symptoms to you as? And did you ever notice anything yourself before driving the loaner?
He told me that it was shuttering (what ever that means) as he drove it into the bay. It’s not like he was going far or fast. When I got to the dealer their 3 car bay was full and I had to park on the outside.

I noticed that it took a bit to get out of first from a dead stop at a stop light. Just no real pep when I accelerated while in comfort mode. I just thought it was normal because I was comparing my GTS to my little S5. Now when I would accelerate from a dead stop my S5 would take off with no problems and I would have to catch myself from speeding. I just figured the GTS was different because the S5 has a supercharged engine and of course it was smaller and lighter than the GTS so it would have more get up and go.

This past summer when I went to PEC in Atlanta I drove with the same coach that delivered my car and I was telling him what I was noticing when comparing the get up and go between my two cars and he told me that I need to just put the car in sport mode the minute I turn it on and that would solve my problem. Which of course in sport and sport + I had no trouble getting the car to shift and take off.

If the dealer didn’t call me I was going to call him and ask him to take the car for a spin around the block to see if he noticed the lack of get up and go from a stop. As you read posts in this thread I am very lucky my dealer was proactive and is taking care of this. Other folks have not been as lucky as me having to brow beat their dealer to get this problem fixed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anyone know if doing several launch controls in a short period of time contributes to TC problems in the original TC design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone know if doing several launch controls in a short period of time contributes to TC problems in the original TC design?

I have never carried out a launch control in my GTS that’s still in for the issue 2 weeks later. Judging by what I have been told about the prior owner, highly doubt they did it ever. I started launch control once for the exhaust noise, and then just let off the gas and waited for it to calm down and then took off like normal. Love the noise, but was afraid of harming it.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
LC is going to put stress on all drivetrain components. Whether it’s the cause for the TC issue is still to be seen/proven.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have never carried out a launch control in my GTS that’s still in for the issue 2 weeks later. Judging by what I have been told about the prior owner, highly doubt they did it ever. I started launch control once for the exhaust noise, and then just let off the gas and waited for it to calm down and then took off like normal. Love the noise, but was afraid of harming it.
Has dealer given you any updates? 2 weeks seems like a long time to diagnose a known TC issue. Porsche should just issue a recall and save owners the hassle and stress of dealing with this problem.

As mentioned, I’m experiencing some intermittent bucking sometimes. But hesitating to go to the dealer because unless they can reproduce it consistently, they point to everything else except the TC. I have over a year left on warranty.

Please keep us updated. Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Still no word, last time I checked in with them was Tuesday 1/14 when I called them and they had no info for me. I am going to call on Tuesday again if no contact from them. I have no idea what is going on, don’t know what they are doing if they are doing anything? I have their loaner cayenne that I have had to rack up mikes on due to work, so I assume they would want it back? Idk. I know there was an issue with CPO from the dealer I bought it from in FL. Apparently they didn’t do something right.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
Hello?!?

The dealer has already had your car for 2 weeks to diagnose a well known issue and you're giving
them another full week? Is this a case of "fool me once..." etc?

Time to pour a little lava down their pants!!! :eek::oops:

Speak with the dealership GM (general manager) and ask him what the h*** is going on with your Macan.
Tell him it's been in his shop for ~3 weeks for an 'evaluation' of a well known issue. Tell him it is not acceptable.

They're sidelining your Macan because it's going to be warranty work and they're addressing other 'off the street'
service issues because they bring more income.

Good luck!

;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
It’s okay with me for now. I have had to do a lot of traveling for work the past few weeks unexpectedly, and at this point I won’t be home until Thursday anyways, a lot of miles I am not putting on my own car. I don’t want to push them and then them say well we want our car back now when I am not there to return it. I will do a check in tomorrow. Not a big deal to me at this point. If I was at home, or home without a loaner it would be different.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just got a call, they didn’t touch the transfer case, replaced the valve body instead. Said there were multiple stored fault codes. I haven’t had a light or error or anything since I got the car. Won’t be able to pick it up until Friday afternoon at earliest.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The valve body sits above the transmission pan and inner transmission filter inside the transmission and is responsible for feeding fluid to actually make the gear changes in the transmission. I have no idea why or what went wrong. I had a buck like the transfer case issue. This is the same transmission as a b8 audi s4 which have known issues with the valve body.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Looks like they didn’t replace the whole PDK unit. Good news the valve body can be fixed/replaced separately.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got my car back this afternoon. Apparently they replaced my transfer case and it did not resolve the issue. They tested the trans fluid and it had no shavings in it. They flushed the transmission fluid and a new filter and it got better, they then replaced the valve body and fluid again along with internal filter and that fixed my problem. Car drives so much nicer now. Nice and smooth takeoffs and shifting.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
That is so strange. Very good to know. If the car supposedly threw codes telling them to check the valve body, I wonder why they 1st replaced the transfer case? I assume replacing the valve body is much less expensive?

I now wonder if those who had their transfer case replaced also had the valve body replaced as part of that same fix.

301 - 320 of 344 Posts