Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update 3/25/19: PCNA requested that I have my transfer case evaluated at a Porsche Dealership. I am having this done tomorrow. They did not specify what they would do if the dealership confirms the part is bad. I will of course request/expect some good faith coverage given this happened within a few hundred miles of warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2015 S is going in on Wednesday this week. 67,xxx. All major services up to date, I'm the 2nd owner and I have an ext. warranty. Im getting the slipping sensation at low-speed accel, some vibration on decel around 1500rpm and now a howling noise from the rear.

Will update after I hear from the dealer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just to update the thread, looks like i will be changing the engine oil next week. I might as well change the transfer case oil too for safe measure. I still have the symptom where it stutters in lower gears and low rpm's. The oil is cheap enough and should be easy to DIY.

I'll keep the thread updated on the results. We will see if the stuttering goes away or not! Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Did you try the TC test? In off-road mode and slowly reverse while turning all the way to left and right.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did you try the TC test? In off-road mode and slowly reverse while turning all the way to left and right.
I did try this test when i 1st purchased the car however, i havent tested it for 8 months now. There was no indication of a bad TC at this time.

I'll test it here tonight once i get off shift and report back. Either way, ill be doing the engine and TC oil next week!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Shudder is all GONE!!!! I finally got around to changing the TC oil during this COVID ordeal and ALL MY SYMPTOMS are gone!

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Sounds like changing the TC fluid before irreversible damage is a good measure.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sounds like changing the TC fluid before irreversible damage is a good measure.
Id say so for sure. For $70 (oil and plugs) I’d replace TC oil every other oil change to keep things fresh.

I’m in South Florida and the rain/humidity is a factor in the change interval..but considering the car drives so much better now, it’s worth the added cost!

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Did do it yourself? How easy was it in a house garage without a lift?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Did do it yourself? How easy was it in a house garage without a lift?
Yep in the garage at home! A single car garage at that lol. The job is pretty simple I’d say. Make sure you have ramps and put the front end up on them!

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
I did an oil change before with the rhino ramps. The space underneath is pretty tight.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I did an oil change before with the rhino ramps. The space underneath is pretty tight.
I see you’re on H&R springs...might be why it’s tight on space. I place the car in off-road mode and go on ramps.

You can still jack up each side to your preferred height and put Jackstands in too. Are you in south Florida? I can come by and help!

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Thanks! I am on the other side in SF Bay Area. ;)

The H&R drops 1.5”.

Reactions: canasion35

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody have a higher mileage macan transfer case go out? Mine is at 61k and it seems to be fine. And most of the failures I've seen here have happened under 40k miles. I'm trying to figure if you make it past a certain amount of mileage, that you may be in the clear?

Also with all these failures....what is actually failing? Is it mechanical, electrical, gears shearing, bearings getting loose?

I'm in the macan for the long haul, so any info on what actually fails on them would be appreciated! So that if mine does start to go out, I can just replace the worn part, not the whole assembly.
My 2015 S with 100K miles is all of a sudden showing symptoms. I'm taking it to the dealer in a few days to see if they are willing to sort it out as a goodwill item since it seems to be a major problem. Think I was lucky so far. I'm happy it lasted this long but disappointed it's going now. I'm way out of warranty by mileage, but who knows. I Will update later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had my case replaced at 64k miles. This is my Macans second TC change unfortunately, once when it was almost new after the vent was relocated but before the revised AX part no was released mid 2018. Hopefully the coating added to the clutch packs within the TC helps it hold up over the long haul.

I saw Porsche posted this week that TC warranties are being extended to 7 years for both the Cayenne and Macan.

Reactions: canasion35
21 - 36 of 36 Posts