Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a higher mileage macan transfer case go out? Mine is at 61k and it seems to be fine. And most of the failures I've seen here have happened under 40k miles. I'm trying to figure if you make it past a certain amount of mileage, that you may be in the clear?

Also with all these failures....what is actually failing? Is it mechanical, electrical, gears shearing, bearings getting loose?

I'm in the macan for the long haul, so any info on what actually fails on them would be appreciated! So that if mine does start to go out, I can just replace the worn part, not the whole assembly.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Anybody have a higher mileage macan transfer case go out? .....any info on what actually fails on them would be appreciated!....
The only reference I've seen on the failure mechanism is from post number 99 in the Replaced Macan Transfer Cases thread below......

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/140338-replaced-macan-transfer-cases-10.html

If moisture is a significant factor, then perhaps those folks who live in drier climates will be less vulnerable to failures.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The only reference I've seen on the failure mechanism is from post number 99 in the Replaced Macan Transfer Cases thread below......

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/140338-replaced-macan-transfer-cases-10.html

If moisture is a significant factor, then perhaps those folks who live in drier climates will be less vulnerable to failures.
It took Porsche four years to figure this out? At least it wasn't as complicated as the Subaru recall because of dryer sheets and perfume.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Good work!

Looks like there isn’t enough data past 40k miles/45 months. Or, the problem only happens within that boundary.

Reactions: Guy88

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just recently purchased a CPO 15 Macan S and it is having the dreaded shuttering problem during slow speed acceleration. 67,000 miles, it goes to the dealer tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just recently purchased a CPO 15 Macan S and it is having the dreaded shuttering problem during slow speed acceleration. 67,000 miles, it goes to the dealer tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for commenting. Look forward to what ends up happening. I just added a Cobb tune to mine and hope it doesnt accelerate the transfer case wearing down.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Would Porsche cover the issue even out of warranty?
A neighbor of ours has a Cayman that's well out warranty. His transfer case failed a few months ago & Porsche covered most of the expense as a courtesy. He was out of pocket a couple of grand. I think I shared the specifics in a another thread, but my memory of which thread & search-fu fails me. So, Porsche will step up, depending on the circumstances.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
The transfer case replacement cost $3000-4000. Your friend still paid a couple of grand? That's like half of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
bought a CPO 2015 Turbo last year with 54K miles. Replaced the transfer case at 58K. The symptoms were fairly minor compared to what others have described, but they were getting more noticeable over time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A neighbor of ours has a Cayman that's well out warranty. His transfer case failed a few months ago & Porsche covered most of the expense as a courtesy. He was out of pocket a couple of grand. I think I shared the specifics in a another thread, but my memory of which thread & search-fu fails me. So, Porsche will step up, depending on the circumstances.
Caymans have transfer cases?

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
Cayman and Boxster are mid engine and RWD, so they are more efficient at power transfer due to short connections. I am not sure if they have transfer case. Probably not.

But again, they may have headlight fluid too. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I’m taking mine in for an inspection in a few weeks. I’ve noticed a bit of a slip/blip/bump or something at low speed. Hard to pinpoint really. Almost like a bad u-joint feeling if you’ve ever been lucky enough to feel that. Now, when I use off road and jack the air shocks up high and turn the wheel, I get that odd grinding jumping which doesn’t seem quite right. The thing that tipped me off lately that there may be some kind of issue is in normal mode backing up and turning out of a parking spot I’ve felt a pop in the front. Almost like a bushing or other suspension issue, but I don’t see any issues from my limited inspection. I seem to remember others saying they felt that with a bad TC. I guess we’ll find out...

48,000 miles. Fingers crossed as I jump over the end of the warranty line.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Caymans have transfer cases?
Total brain melt. I have no idea. I meant PDK. I was responding to the question about service after warranty runs out & totally mixed up the two issues. Sorry about that!

Reactions: mizike and jzwu

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2015 Macan S was just diagnosed with transfer case failure at 47 months, 50100 miles. I am in discussion with Porsche USA now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got mine done last week, I read a facebook post regarding what to look out for in a porsche macan. Had the same symptoms for a transfer case issue so made an appointment. Explain everything to the service advisor they tested and luckily it was the transfer case and had the part. Now it rides like a new car

·
Registered
999 Posts
My 2015 Macan S was just diagnosed with transfer case failure at 47 months, 50100 miles. I am in discussion with Porsche USA now.
Wishing you the best with negotiations -- I would certainly hope that PCNA would step up on this issue. Please let us know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
6,089 Posts
So far Porsche seems to have stood behind the TC repair in and out of warranty. They know it is an issue from the factory.

This reminds me of the old IMS issue.

Reactions: mizike and FLDavid

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am getting my Macan back today with a new water pump and no transfer case. I talked to the dealer last week and they told me they drove it several times and could not duplicate what I was describing. The weather has not been the best here and my dealer (which is 70 miles North of me) had a couple lake effect snow storms so I'm sure that didn't help. So for now they want me to continue to drive it until the weather breaks and if the problem persists I am to bring it back in. The weather is going to be decent this week so I guess I will drive it and see what it does. Maybe I am just being paranoid due to everything I have read on here but I am almost positive I can feel a shudder during low speed acceleration (1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd with transmission under a load at low RPM).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts