Porsche Macan Forum banner

221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi there. your clutch is slipping. transfer case needs replacement. you may have some chance at a reputable indie shop where they can replace the wet clutches with new ones. usually DSG transmission services can handle this task. will run around $2-3k at indie shops, 12-13k at porsche
We all bet the money on transfer case in this case then. Thank you for giving me the picture of the cost. I really dont want to pay for it from my pocket. Porsche needs a recall for this along with fuel pump flange cover!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I been telling my service dealer that I have an issue with my car and they seem to not understand what I’m talking about when I telling them my car has been puttering months after I brought my 2016 Porsche Macan. Now that I’m out of warranty the puttering is very noticeable and the service guy said they don’t notice the stand and go hesitation when accelerating. I told them to keep checking. Then the service clerk said it may be the transfer case which will cost me $5600 to replace.. my eyes popped. I have been complaining about this issue for some time and now I just don’t know what to do.
Porsche should recall and replace the transfer case on all Porsche Macan as I read and now heard that this is a common issue.
What does one do in this case? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi I been telling my service dealer that I have an issue with my car and they seem to not understand what I’m talking about when I telling them my car has been puttering months after I brought my 2016 Porsche Macan. Now that I’m out of warranty the puttering is very noticeable and the service guy said they don’t notice the stand and go hesitation when accelerating. I told them to keep checking. Then the service clerk said it may be the transfer case which will cost me $5600 to replace.. my eyes popped. I have been complaining about this issue for some time and now I just don’t know what to do.
Porsche should recall and replace the transfer case on all Porsche Macan as I read and now heard that this is a common issue.
What does one do in this case? Any suggestions?
Yes... go to another dealer. If you have ANY proof of said conversations with your original (service) dealer about the issue, document those right now (text exchanges, phone call screen shots, emails, or just the fact you visited the dealership to complain... those visits should be on record at the dealer). You want to create a timeline of your complaints that show the issue began before warranty was up. If you do not have access to another Porsche dealer, my suggestion would then be to call PNA and open a file with them to get involved. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes... go to another dealer. If you have ANY proof of said conversations with your original (service) dealer about the issue, document those right now (text exchanges, phone call screen shots, emails, or just the fact you visited the dealership to complain... those visits should be on record at the dealer). You want to create a timeline of your complaints that show the issue began before warranty was up. If you do not have access to another Porsche dealer, my suggestion would then be to call PNA and open a file with them to get involved. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much! I do have records of my complain and now I will move forward with writing or calling PNA To complain. This is crazy how they are avoiding my issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried registering a complaint with PNA yesterday and some how I ended up writing on a blog, still trying to find out where to register my complaint with the official PNA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We all bet the money on transfer case in this case then. Thank you for giving me the picture of the cost. I really dont want to pay for it from my pocket. Porsche needs a recall for this along with fuel pump flange cover!

brought my baby to dealer today for recall and also a check. The dealer is saying that they cannot experience it. My vibrations in normal mode do not come everytime. Sometimes it is very bad sometimes there is no vibration. They say that i can bring it to their shop as soon as it starts and they can look at it. hopefully my transfer case is ok.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You at least got the revised transfer case with the A at the end, a new one it looks like from the sticker on the part.

For those in the market for an S, model years 2015 through 2018 March 4, 2018 production date will possibly have a transfer case go bad. And the first gen through 2018 S model year also at risk of a leaky timing cover leaking due to failed mounting bolts holding the cover onto the engine allowing oil to seep past. The 2019 S was redesigned with a different V6 all together, so hopefully no transfer case or oil leaks from 2019 models years on. The base model same year run would have just the transfer case to watch out for from its introduction in 2017 model year until the revised part in March 2018. If buying make sure you're fine with those risks, and plan accordingly regarding warranty and high cost of those repairs if out of warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brought my baby to dealer today for recall and also a check. The dealer is saying that they cannot experience it. My vibrations in normal mode do not come everytime. Sometimes it is very bad sometimes there is no vibration. They say that i can bring it to their shop as soon as it starts and they can look at it. hopefully my transfer case is ok.
Hi, After doing lots of reading about TC and that Porsche has no recommendations on how often to changing the TC fluid. After going over my records, the TC was completely changed at 28K and at 90k the service dealership telling me to replace it due to jerk / puttering.

The service dealership recommended I replace the TC. I had the TC fluid changed and other fluids changed what you know my car is back to normal. 🙂 I now have no jerking nor puttering.
I had an oil change prior to TC issue. After reading here I asked my service tech to have the mechanic change just my TV fluid and right away the service guy didn’t recommend that and insisted that my TC be replace.

went elsewhere to have my car serviced. I had the following replaced: air filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, transmission fluid, cabin filter, TC pan, trans filter. The Mechanic Showed me how black the TC fluid was and told me to smell it... it had a strong burnt smell to it! It was very black!

By having the TC fluid and other fluids changed solved my jerking/puttering issue. My Mechanic’s recommendation is to have the TC fluid changed every time I get an oil change. I rather do this then replace the whole TC. Now I’m happy!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hi, After doing lots of reading about TC and that Porsche has no recommendations on how often to changing the TC fluid. After going over my records, the TC was completely changed at 28K and at 90k the service dealership telling me to replace it due to jerk / puttering.

The service dealership recommended I replace the TC. I had the TC fluid changed and other fluids changed what you know my car is back to normal. 🙂 I now have no jerking nor puttering.
I had an oil change prior to TC issue. After reading here I asked my service tech to have the mechanic change just my TV fluid and right away the service guy didn’t recommend that and insisted that my TC be replace.

went elsewhere to have my car serviced. I had the following replaced: air filter, brake fluid, spark plugs, transmission fluid, cabin filter, TC pan, trans filter. The Mechanic Showed me how black the TC fluid was and told me to smell it... it had a strong burnt smell to it! It was very black!

By having the TC fluid and other fluids changed solved my jerking/puttering issue. My Mechanic’s recommendation is to have the TC fluid changed every time I get an oil change. I rather do this then replace the whole TC. Now I’m happy!
If Porsche is paying the bill I would replace the TC. This is a known (should have been recall) item. Just do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m awaiting the PNA decision on how they will handle my complaint. Yes I will replace on their dime😉

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Sounds to me like it is rebuilt?
Porsche’s guidance is to place an order using the rebuilt PN. Whether you get a rebuilt one or a new one is luck of the draw (I don’t imagine there are many rebuilt revised transfer cases out there). AFAIK, the PN on the actual unit will never include the X.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've known my SM on and off for more than 25 years. He told me that if he were to take me to the back of their floor, he would show me a pile of TC's. He says there is a special 'table' needed that costs ~$10K. He only has 3 of them. Also it ties up a mechanic for several days. Customers have to make appointments just to get the TC swapped out. He did say they can be disassembled and rebuilt. Part of the rebuild is just roughing up the clutch plates....

·
Registered
36 Posts
After reading this thread I checked my Macan's tc serial number. With a car build date of 3/2018 stamped on the door sill it would have sucked to get the last of the bad ones manufactured at the very beginning of that month. Luckily from the factory the updated revised part was installed, #95B341010A. Have never been so happy to see a part serial number before!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
After reading this thread I checked my Macan's tc serial number. With a car build date of 3/2018 stamped on the door sill it would have sucked to get the last of the bad ones manufactured at the very beginning of that month. Luckily from the factory the updated revised part was installed, #95B341010A. Have never been so happy to see a part serial number before!
I think I have the last bad TC. Also , I haven't done well at lotto. So one day past the end of my warranty I will be presented with an oil wet garage from the timing chain cover leak as I back out and a jumping jerking transfer case as I make the sharp turn up my driveway. I am looking so forward towards this as this must be the Porsche experience .

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Time to hit up on an extended warranty. lOL

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Turns out the "part" that was changed out was the vent line. The old one was letting moisture in causing problems. This was to address that issue. This is per Porsche.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Turns out the "part" that was changed out was the vent line. The old one was letting moisture in causing problems. This was to address that issue. This is per Porsche.
So Porsche has been changing out these transfer cases for years now without correcting a little problem as a vent line? How would you explain this? There must be other problems don't you think?

221 - 240 of 244 Posts