Porsche Macan Forum banner

201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm fairly sure it's just the MY 15/16 plus the early 17 models. I'm not aware of any MY18 models having this issue. Also, it seems to only be happening to ones who live in a humid and cool environment such as where you live or anywhere up north, not in the hot/dry areas of the country.
Water seeping into "sealed" t-cases and transmissions and causing them to fail isn't just a Porsche issue.

I had an FJ Cruiser that had transmission issues with the T/O bearing due to water entering a "sealed" unit due to a design flaw.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Also, discussion also mentioned from PCNA that if in the future they did recall the transfer call, I will get a letter and I can reimburse some or all of the money that I paid. So keep the receipts.
Who said this? PCNA or a dealer? Is PCNA considering a recall?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's just a big IF. No planned recall yet.

Porsche did recalled on the 2011-2016 Cayenne. It took a long time for them to officially recognize this issue and did something. I brought this up during phone call as in the past I had paid $$$ for Apple to fix my Iphone and after a few months Apple recalled. I ended up bringing my receipts to Apple Store and got the differences back from Apple Store. PCNA asked me to keep the receipt just in case Porsche recall the transfer case in the future.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well , we live in SoCal so there goes the humid and cool theory. But it is an early 2017...

Anyway, booked a dealer visit in two weeks,so we shall see....I’ll try and make it worse in the meantime��
Finally got it to the dealer and they replaced it no questions asked....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Who said this? PCNA or a dealer? Is PCNA considering a recall?
They should treat this like the DSG "click-of-death" that VW/Audi dealt with for DSG's prior to 2010. Rather than a recall, VW extended the warranty on DSG's of a specific era to 100K miles. I took advantage of that on my wife's 2009 TT. Repaired under warranty at 92K miles for $0.

What is pretty shocking to me is that this was not just a problem with the first batch of Macan's, ours is a 2017 MY. So the problem has been out there for 2-3 years before supposedly getting fixed in late MY 2017.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
They should treat this like the DSG "click-of-death" that VW/Audi dealt with for DSG's prior to 2010. Rather than a recall, VW extended the warranty on DSG's of a specific era to 100K miles. I took advantage of that on my wife's 2009 TT. Repaired under warranty at 92K miles for $0.

What is pretty shocking to me is that this was not just a problem with the first batch of Macan's, ours is a 2017 MY. So the problem has been out there for 2-3 years before supposedly getting fixed in late MY 2017.
Did this transfer case really get fixed in late model year 2017? How was this communicated? Other than me crawling under my car how am I supposed to know? Is there a VIN number that creates the cut off date?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Macan S 21,500 miles, same symptoms as others here. Northeast vehicle. Brought to dealer and instantly recognized the issue. Part in stock and completed same day. Clearly there's an issue. Without warranty about a $3000 repair. We keep you posted on performance post repair and longevity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2015 Turbo just went off warranty 2 month ago with 22000 KLM and is now acting up with shuddering on 1st gear and when backing up
Going in for a check up June 17th,2019 ,but after reading these threads it sure looks like my T.C. too .Thank You .

·
Registered
40 Posts
MACAN.15 - just seeing your post. Are you in NB? If so, you must be dealing with not having a local dealer.... PM me if so. Be curious to compare notes on the "local" dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2017 Macan S with 41k miles.

Noticed that when I try to go forward after backing out in opposite direction (like getting out of the garage butt first) the car doesn't move when I press the accelerator (hesitates), it just sits there until I press the accelerator a bit more.

Is this another TC symptom?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just looked into it a little deeper and the problem goes through the early MY 18 not 17 models as I had stated earlier. The new transfer cases have a different part number and were released in March 2018 so all Macans manufactured before then have the old one. Keep your fingers crossed.
I have a 4/18 build date. Can I check something on the car to see if I have the updated case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a certified 2015 S in May 2018. At 32K miles the problem manifested itself (June of this year.) Dealer fixed under warranty. A glance at the invoice indicated would have been a charge of over $4,000. Dodged a big bullet there.

Otherwise, a most enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I brought my 2016 Macan S to dealer when under warranty asking about the little discontinuous acceleration in lower gears in 2018. They told me that it was normal at that time. Now i am experiencing some more noticeable vibrations when accelerating in 1,2,3 gears. Some people on asian forum think that it could be differential problem. The way to test it is full right turn with off load mode when idling. If vibrations kick in, the differential is the issue.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I worry that my problem may develop further in the future causing differential failure or something. Should i talk to the dealer and ask for a diagnosis? Since i brought it up during the warranty, is it possible that they will fix it for free?

Thank you so much

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi there. your clutch is slipping. transfer case needs replacement. you may have some chance at a reputable indie shop where they can replace the wet clutches with new ones. usually DSG transmission services can handle this task. will run around $2-3k at indie shops, 12-13k at porsche

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
I brought my 2016 Macan S to dealer when under warranty asking about the little discontinuous acceleration in lower gears in 2018. They told me that it was normal at that time. Now i am experiencing some more noticeable vibrations when accelerating in 1,2,3 gears.......
You may want to read through some of the threads about transfer case issues. If that's what it is, there's a good chance Porsche will cover most or all the replacement cost as good will.

16 macan s Transfer case replacement.

Tranfer case

Transfer Cases

·
Registered
38 Posts
You may want to read through some of the threads about transfer case issues. If that's what it is, there's a good chance Porsche will cover most or all the replacement cost as good will.

16 macan s Transfer case replacement.

Tranfer case

Transfer Cases
Thank you for reminding me of the transfer case. I was thinking of differential sorely. I just scheduled an appointment for recall as well as inspection on this. The service guy didnt tell me that they would charge me on the inspection yet. Maybe he will discuss the cost later :(

As a backup on my side, i reported this kind of issue when the warranty was valid but they denied the issue. Hopefully they will do it as good will....

201 - 220 of 244 Posts