Porsche Macan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Full disclosure: the car is so amazing again after the repair that I am almost seduced into letting it go!
I had mine replaced this week as well and concur; it's like a brand new car. I would not let go of that $4500 though.
The shop had contacted PCNA and they declined any support. I'll be contacting them myself.

Also, I overstated the cost. $1565.81 of this was correcting an exhaust rattle caused by a broken support tab. The down pipes were also replaced with updated parts as recommended.

The transfer case box work came to $2546.21. The new transfer box is part no 95B-341-010-AX.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The shop had contacted PCNA and they declined any support. I'll be contacting them myself.

Also, I overstated the cost. $1565.81 of this was correcting an exhaust rattle caused by a broken support tab. The down pipes were also replaced with updated parts as recommended.

The transfer case box work came to $2546.21. The new transfer box is part no 95B-341-010-AX.
Jeez! I think the 'X' may mean rebuilt on the part number. This is something I have read here, I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
The shop had contacted PCNA and they declined any support. I'll be contacting them myself....
Am curious whether you are the original owner, or whether you purchased a pre-owned car?

So far, it sounds like Porsche has mostly been picking up the tab for the parts as a good will gesture, leaving only the labor to be paid by the owner out of pocket. Am wondering whether they are less inclined to do that for folks who may be 2nd owners.

BTW.....the broken exhaust bracket and downpipe replacement is a fairly common issue with some early Macans, and would have have been fixed under warranty if it occurred within the warranty period. So you might express your disappointment on this item too when you talk to PCNA. See the following thread link below. Keep us posted!

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/complaints/71953-cracked-mid-pipe-exhaust-plate-bracket.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
[
Am curious whether you are the original owner, or whether you purchased a pre-owned car?

So far, it sounds like Porsche has mostly been picking up the tab for the parts as a good will gesture, leaving only the labor to be paid by the owner out of pocket. Am wondering whether they are less inclined to do that for folks who may be 2nd owners.
I am the original owner, however I bought the car from a Delaware dealership, and am now in Seattle. I wonder if that makes any difference.

I see from the service record that this '2015' Macan was delivered on 20 May 2014. I took delivery in July 2014, not September as I stated previously.

Thanks for the feedback and support. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Macan shifts smoother since transfer case replaced. No more slipping when shifting at lower RPMs. Happy with how it drives now

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Has anyone from CA/AZ (dry warm areas) had the TC issue? I understand the issue is caused by moisture getting in the TC.

·
Registered
74 Posts
PDK “slipping”

We have a 2017 Macan S. When briskly accelerating on a dry surface from a stop or roll the PDK slips or stutters (it feels a bit like if the road was wet and one or more of the wheels are losing traction). Although this seems to be something that has developed recently we had a loaner Macan at one service and I remember thinking the PDK was much smoother than ours.

Of course we are under warranty but I dread going to the dealer and hearing the inevitable “they all do that sir”.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a 2017 Macan S. When briskly accelerating on a dry surface from a stop or roll the PDK slips or stutters (it feels a bit like if the road was wet and one or more of the wheels are losing traction). Although this seems to be something that has developed recently we had a loaner Macan at one service and I remember thinking the PDK was much smoother than ours.

Of course we are under warranty but I dread going to the dealer and hearing the inevitable “they all do that sir”.
Do a search on "transfer case".

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you can reproduce it at will, shouldn't be a problem getting it taken care of at the dealer. Go on a drive with one of their guys to show them the problem. If it's sporadic or subtle, then it's trickier. Mine is doing it as well, but can't prove it and they say it feels normal. I'm running low on warranty and actually hoping it gets worse before the warranty ends..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Got it ... symptoms similar to problems described. I thought they had fixed that problem before MY2017. Oh well. Off to the dealer.
Not sure that this problem was completely solved by MY2017. In any event, good luck in dealing with your dealer and let the forum know how things turn out for you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
@loopless, that sounds like a transfer case and no model year of the current gen is immune to this problem. There is a lot of content around this issue and many forum members can guide you through it. First thing is to get the dealer to diagnose and agree that it is a bad transfer case and then it is smooth sailing to replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had my transfer case replaced and then that still did not solve my problem, so my dealer after i explained there are folks who have had this happen more than once, replaced my main drive shaft, all under warranty. I have a 2015 Macan S, 50k miles. After the drive shaft was replaced, the issue improved, but its still not as smooth as silk as a car of this caliber should be, IMO.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm sure they started using a transfer case with a different part number around mid 2017. There should be posts stating this information somewhere in the thread for transfer cases. My early MY 2017 has the original part number which I received in March 2017. It was 1-2 months later Porsche switched to the current transfer case.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm sure they started using a transfer case with a different part number around mid 2017. There should be posts stating this information somewhere in the thread for transfer cases. My early MY 2017 has the original part number which I received in March 2017. It was 1-2 months later Porsche switched to the current transfer case.
So are you saying none of the transfer cases with the new numbers have failed? Have any 2018's failed?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
So are you saying none of the transfer cases with the new numbers have failed? Have any 2018's failed?

I'm fairly sure it's just the MY 15/16 plus the early 17 models. I'm not aware of any MY18 models having this issue. Also, it seems to only be happening to ones who live in a humid and cool environment such as where you live or anywhere up north, not in the hot/dry areas of the country.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm fairly sure it's just the MY 15/16 plus the early 17 models. I'm not aware of any MY18 models having this issue. Also, it seems to only be happening to ones who live in a humid and cool environment such as where you live or anywhere up north, not in the hot/dry areas of the country.

Well , we live in SoCal so there goes the humid and cool theory. But it is an early 2017...

Anyway, booked a dealer visit in two weeks,so we shall see....I’ll try and make it worse in the meantime?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my transfer case replaced about 4 months ago, I still get some "stutter" or "slipping" especially when I'm on a slight incline or cold start.

I'm out of warranty now so going to have to live with it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

I just looked into it a little deeper and the problem goes through the early MY 18 not 17 models as I had stated earlier. The new transfer cases have a different part number and were released in March 2018 so all Macans manufactured before then have the old one. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all. Thanks for all the information in this forum. My 2015 Macan S, 25k and 6 months out of warranty (2nd owner) will now need a transfer case. Also, another issues dealer (Napleton Porsche of Westmont) found out front differential fluid leak, they said I will need a front new cover. May be the seal is bad? So reseal will solve the problem? My dealer went out to talk to PCNA, I personally also called PCNA over the hotline to complaint about the transfer case issues. Dealer called me yesterday afternoon and ask me a few questions like 1) where did you buy the car; 2) who did the maintenance; 3) do you have other Porsche car? Mine own opinion is PCNA should have recalled the transfer case or at least quietly extend the transfer case warranty to 7 years or so. Given that they now sold 1/3 of Macan (86K) and 1/2 SUVs for 2018 (total 256k). This is a bad press for them.

In the end, I will foot 20% for the bill. Which is about $700 for the transfer case replacement and $500 for the new differential cover. Of course it is not 100%, but given that I don't even do my routine service (only warranty and recall issues) at the dealers. This would be a surprise outcome for me. I did research online and call a reputable 3rd party Eurocar repair shop for estimate. Latest Transfer case (95B341010AX) is about $1300 depends where you bought it and after you returned the core unit. Differential cover is not sure, coz 3rd party didn't have the car just over the phone, she said is about $600 for the labor to remove the cover. So, who knows? Just a note, the X means it is a renewed unit.

Also, discussion also mentioned from PCNA that if in the future they did recall the transfer call, I will get a letter and I can reimburse some or all of the money that I paid. So keep the receipts.

I hope my informations help others in this forum. And thanks you all for provided informations.

181 - 200 of 244 Posts