Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This not really a complaint, My turbo started to shudder when I was backing up and when I put it drive it would shudder in 1st, 2nd and a little in 3rd. The car has 14k miles. I brought to the dealer and it turns out that the transfer case has gone out. The dealer was great.
We are awaiting new cv joints that Porsche recommended to be replaced also.

The car has been a great car, this is more of a heads up to all on this forum.

David

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Thanks David and just a question. Did you drive your car in an "extraordinary" way , like tracking or off roading ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car from the owner of Pacific Porsche in Torrance, CA with 2500 miles on it. So I don't know if the original owner tracked the car or not, but I have never tracked the car.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I bought the car from the owner of Pacific Porsche in Torrance, CA with 2500 miles on it. So I don't know if the original owner tracked the car or not, but I have never tracked the car.

Ask him. Either way, the important thing is they get it taken care of .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Hello,

This not really a complaint, My turbo started to shudder when I was backing up and when I put it drive it would shudder in 1st, 2nd and a little in 3rd. The car has 14k miles. I brought to the dealer and it turns out that the transfer case has gone out. The dealer was great.
We are awaiting new cv joints that Porsche recommended to be replaced also.

The car has been a great car, this is more of a heads up to all on this forum.

David
Do you have PTV?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 44,000km and change.. lots of hard driving no problems. Rock solid Tcase.

Nothing to worry about your gonna get repair free of charge you got warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another transfer case

Just saw this thread - I had exactly the same problem with my Turbo this past July. Same symptoms developed over a few weeks - the car was delivered to me in June 2014 and had ~ 13,000 miles at the time of the failure. Mine may have been the first since the initial read was that the entire PDK had to be replaced - then extended conversations between the dealer, PCNA, & Germany determined the transfer case could in fact be "uncoupled" from the transmission and replaced. Entire process took 10 days to diagnose, determine the fix, get the parts & complete the repair. Been just fine sine then - except that now it's in the shop again waiting for parts for an airbag control system failure.:(

Notwithstanding any of this (and several more minor issues that affected mostly early build cars) this has to be the most enjoyable SUV I have ever owned & it is a keeper. The dealer has been super in terms of working thru everything. Only thing more fun to drive is my Cayman GTS!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2015 Macan S (no PTV, no Sport Chrono) developed a similar problem a month ago. In addition to the "shuddering" that you experienced when backing up, it had multiple loud clunks coming from the rear during upshifts within, not between gears. The Service Manager took a ride with me and said immediately that it was the transfer case.

They had a service bulletin for the Macan to replace the two front drive shafts, which they did. They also updated the differential software (SY1615.WM404425). After I test drove it, the stuttering is only slightly improved so the Macan went right back to the dealer. (When the transmission is cold, the stuttering when accelerating is barely noticeable. Gets worse as the transmission warms up. I suspect they test drove it when it was cold and didn't notice the problem was not fixed).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Threads like this get me concerned. Hopefully the first model year hiccups are resolved.:eek:

Just saw this thread - I had exactly the same problem with my Turbo this past July. Entire process took 10 days to diagnose, determine the fix, get the parts & complete the repair. Been just fine sine then - except that now it's in the shop again waiting for parts for an airbag control system failure.
The Service Manager took a ride with me and said immediately that it was the transfer case.

They had a service bulletin for the Macan to replace the two front drive shafts, which they did. They also updated the differential software (SY1615.WM404425).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Not being aware of this thread, I started another one today ("drive train issues") regarding the same problems with my Macan S. Purchased early Sept 2014, 21000 miles, PTV. Never tracked, and no problems to date. I took my car to the dealer earlier this week, but the symptoms didn't show up, either during my 20 mile drive to the dealer, or while the dealer had it. They did install a software update for the drive train. But since they couldn't feel the symptoms, and there were no fault codes, they gave it back to me. After driving about 10 miles towards home, I noticed there were some symptoms showing up again (slow turning into parking spaces, accelerating through first few gears, etc.). So based on the info in this thread, it sounds like the transfer case is the likely culprit. I will share this thread with my service advisor, and take the car back on a day it seems to be showing the symptoms consistently.
Many thanks to @SoCalS5 for bringing this thread to my attention.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm guessing this is the service bulletin several have mentioned related to this issue.

Service Bulletin No.: TIS-98-14

Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , EQUIPMENT ADAPTIVE

NHTSA ID Number: 10057614

Manufacturer: Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

SUMMARY:
PORSCHE: DATA RECORDS FAIL TO COMPLY TO CURRENT STANDARDS REGARDING TRANSFER GEARS WITH CONTROL UNIT AT TIME OF DELIVERY AND WOULD NEED ALL WHEEL DRIVE CONTROL UNIT REPROGRAMMED. MODEL 2014-15 MACAN S, DIESEL, TURBO. *PE

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
^ this is the latest software update. But for some, it is more than a software update fix.

I experienced a bit of shuddering too in the last couple of months and I also had the software updated too just this month with no avail. I am not sure if my issue is related to transfer case with the described symptoms but for me, my shuddering occurs when at eco mode (much more noticeable) at around 1000 rpm (shifting gears from higher to lower when coming to a low speed stop). It is annoying and my SA and I went for a test drive yesterday and he also noticed this slight vibration/shuddering too and he will have to ask to tech and service manager next week to see what their takes are.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
When I first called my service advisor and described my issue, he said he had not heard of any issues with Macans having this problem, but said that some new model Cayennes had experienced problems with transfer cases. It is interesting that there are now a number of us who have experienced this issue in the past couple of months. Apparently the replacement of the transfer case is not terribly complicated. Never the less, I'm glad it is covered by warranty! For example, when I took mine in this week for them to check it out (and symptoms didn't show up) they installed the recalled secondary fuel line and updated the drive train software. The amount charged to PCNA for warranty repairs was over $600.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My symptoms returned consistently enough that on Dec 29 I took my car to the dealer and a senior technician took a ride with me. He definitely noticed the shuddering and clunking in the drive train when turning sharp at low speeds and when accelerating from a stop, and he made a couple of video clips that he said he would send to Porsche, which they need to do for warranty issues like this. No word yet, but I'll provide an update when they get back to me, hopefully early next week.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated, Ken. Hope they can resolve it satisfactorily for you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My symptoms returned consistently enough that on Dec 29 I took my car to the dealer and a senior technician took a ride with me. He definitely noticed the shuddering and clunking in the drive train when turning sharp at low speeds and when accelerating from a stop, and he made a couple of video clips that he said he would send to Porsche, which they need to do for warranty issues like this. No word yet, but I'll provide an update when they get back to me, hopefully early next week.
Which dealer? I have the same issue, time to make an appointment.

Tomasz

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Which dealer? I have the same issue, time to make an appointment.

Tomasz
My dealer is Bellingham Porsche. I called them this morning to find out status. They had not yet heard from the technical folks in Atlanta since last week was not very productive due to the holidays. I hope to hear something tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So I took my car to the dealer (at their request) on January 13 so they could perform some more tests in conjunction with PCNA technical folks. A week later (Jan 20), after taking many recordings using chassis ears and sending them to PCNA, the dealer finally got the OK on Wed to proceed with replacing the transfer case. It arrived Fri and they installed it, but need a special clamp to finish the job on Monday when I should get it back. So this is the fourth Macan on this thread that has needed the transfer case replaced. I have PTV, but I don't think it is associated with the transfer case. The symptoms of shuddering in the drive train showed up best when performing a series of slow sharp turns in a parking lot. After they'd show up, then the thumping under straight line acceleration would also show up.

It amazed me that PCNA required so many time consuming tests to identify the cause when at least 3 cars on this thread had exactly the same symptoms and ended up, again after much testing, having their transfer cases replaced to solve the problem. I told my SA to tell PCNA to talk to Suncoast and Pacific Porsche where 2 of the cars had been involved. You'd think that the benefit of having a centralized technical support team would be to avoid each dealer having to conduct the same time consuming tests to solve a problem already identified elsewhere. I was bothered more by the principle than by any inconvenience to me. After all, they gave me a 2016 991 Black Edition C4 cab as a loaner, which I've really enjoyed driving.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This thread and the other, is freaking me out! I've ordered my 17 GTS and I hope all goes well!! I'm starting to think the expensive extended warranty might be a good idea since I plan on keeping 10 years or so. Lots to break! $$$

1 - 20 of 244 Posts