Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, the Macan has large if not huge brakes.

My question is at what point does one need a trailer to have brakes regarding weight being towed.

In my state, Washington, a trailer is....required .....to have brakes above 3,000lbs. Below....no.

Is the OEM hitch installation prewired (6 prong) for electronic brakes? I have a 2017 GTS.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I recently bought an ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company) 14' x 7' double axle trailer, enclosed. It weighed about 1800 pounds. I was pulling it with my Ford Raptor. I couldn't imagine not having brakes on it.

I traded it in after two weeks realizing it was a bit too small. I got a 16' x 8.5 double axle trailer of the same make. I believe its weight is 2400 pounds.

Thankfully my Raptor has a built in brake controller which can be set via +/- buttons. I watched a few videos on how to set it. One I saw showed squeezing the lever on the brake controller when coasting at 15 mph, seeing if the trailer brakes locked up and if they did, to back off one notch. I tried that and was up to 8.5 or 9 and they still weren't locking up. I left it at 8.5.

I think it also depends on how much towing you are going to do. If it's an occasional thing I wouldn't worry about it. I towed a light enclosed trailer which in NY means it weighs under 1,000 pounds with my Macans. It towed and braked without any trouble at all. And I had kayaks and a 700 pound atv inside, along with bicycles. It was probably upwards of 1800 pounds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts