Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took EU for my S last October and am somewhat disappointed by it's acceleration, particularly when I track out of a turn. I have a 997 and the part I enjoyed the most is the instant peddle response particularly when I exit a turn. The infuriating part of my S is that the peddle is not responsive in the mid-range revs. In fact, I can pump the peddle a couple of inches as I'm going 50 or so I can't feel much of a response. Its clear that all the high horsepower numbers include the turbo output but the non-turbo performance is lackluster. Can put it into Sport but without Chrono, there is no major difference in performance. Will the GTS's twin turbo have the same response? Welcome any comments on this..I understand the GTS engine is a detuned version of the same in Cayenne and Panamara. If anyone has driven that 2.9 litre 6, please let me know.
This is the main reason for my trade. I also like many of the standard features in the GTS. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you are worried about warranty... yes.

If you are not, Cobb AP with custom tune will get you what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
I took EU for my S last October and am somewhat disappointed by it's acceleration, particularly when I track out of a turn. I have a 997 and the part I enjoyed the most is the instant peddle response particularly when I exit a turn. The infuriating part of my S is that the peddle is not responsive in the mid-range revs. In fact, I can pump the peddle a couple of inches as I'm going 50 or so I can't feel much of a response. Its clear that all the high horsepower numbers include the turbo output but the non-turbo performance is lackluster. Can put it into Sport but without Chrono, there is no major difference in performance. Will the GTS's twin turbo have the same response? Welcome any comments on this..I understand the GTS engine is a detuned version of the same in Cayenne and Panamara. If anyone has driven that 2.9 litre 6, please let me know.
This is the main reason for my trade. I also like many of the standard features in the GTS. Thanks for your help.
The GTS will be a different engine than the S (it's a detuned 2.9 liter) but it will never have the pedal feel of a normally aspirated 997 . These are such different vehicles. If you trade the S you'll take a hit but might be able to make up some of it with a discount on the new car. I went through 4 Macan in the 1st cycle . I feel one big problem is that the future Macan is supposedly EV . So the potential is there to take a money hit twice (instead of once) at a time in history where savings really matter. It's your money and it's your call but if you are not happy with that S then every day you hold it its losing value .

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Why do I feel like you're trolling here? There is not in existence a non-turbo Macan, and getting no response from pumping the pedal a couple of inches sounds very much like you're in a toy car. Please make a believer out of me.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why do I feel like you're trolling here? There is not in existence a non-turbo Macan, and getting no response from pumping the pedal a couple of inches sounds very much like you're in a toy car. Please make a believer out of me.
what I think he’s referring to is not “a Macan without a turbo”, but the car’s performance off boost; the thing is, most modern turbocharged engines never really are off boost unless you are absolutely feathering the throttle and at low rpm, and turbo lag isn’t really a thing with these cars. Is the response of a 3.0 V6 turbo in a 4K+ crossover - even one with sporty aspirations - going to feel like a large displacement normally aspirated flat 6 in a sports car weighing closer to 3K pounds, and where instantaneous throttle response was probably one of if not the highes engineering design priorities as far as engine development was concerned? **** no, and it’s frankly a little naive to expect that or be disappointed that it isn’t - sorry. I have had an S as a loaner, and experienced. no lag or lack of throttle response, though I didn’t think it was much different at low speeds from the 2.0 T, honestly;didbt know they’d given me an S, and wasn’t sure until I got out and looked after about 15 min. I have read a couple of reviews that did comment on some lag and a slight lack of immediacy with the new 3.0T however. Again, it’s all relative though; never going to feel like a 3.4l or bigger NA flat six in a sports car.

Would the GTS feel better? yes, I expect so, and some of the same commentators have made that observation too. Like a large flat 6 in a sports car? No.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what I think he’s referring to is not “a Macan without a turbo”, but the car’s performance off boost; the thing is, most modern turbocharged engines never really are off boost unless you are absolutely feathering the throttle and at low rpm, and turbo lag isn’t really a thing with these cars. Is the response of a 3.0 V6 turbo in a 4K+ crossover - even one with sporty aspirations - going to feel like a large displacement normally aspirated flat 6 in a sports car weighing closer to 3K pounds, and where instantaneous throttle response was probably one of if not the highes engineering design priorities as far as engine development was concerned? **** no, and it’s frankly a little naive to expect that or be disappointed that it isn’t - sorry. I have had an S as a loaner, and experienced. no lag or lack of throttle response, though I didn’t think it was much different at low speeds from the 2.0 T, honestly;didbt know they’d given me an S, and wasn’t sure until I got out and looked after about 15 min. I have read a couple of reviews that did comment on some lag and a slight lack of immediacy with the new 3.0T however. Again, it’s all relative though; never going to feel like a 3.4l or bigger NA flat six in a sports car.

Would the GTS feel better? yes, I expect so, and some of the same commentators have made that observation too. Like a large flat 6 in a sports car? No.

Thanks all for your response. No, I'm not trying to troll, just expressing my disappointment. My 997 has 325 hp and my S has 348 which was why I bought the S. I am sure straight-line speed in the 2.0 would be fine for me. Even with the heavier weight, I thought the S's higher hp would somehow compensate. I certainly don't expect my S to perform like my 997 but didn't expect the drop-off as much as what I'm experiencing. There is a lag as when I gas it into a turn, the turbo boost (sort of like a downshift in the old days or perhaps it's just the PDK downshifting) kicks in at the end of the turn.

Getting my 10k service this weekend so I'll ask them to look it over.

On the GTS, has anyone driven the de-tuned 2.9 engine? Also, how does the twin turbo work? When one accelerates do both turbos kick in together or is one on a kind of a constant spool and the other kicks in later? Will the twin turbo shorten turbo lag?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks all for your response. No, I'm not trying to troll, just expressing my disappointment. My 997 has 325 hp and my S has 348 which was why I bought the S. I am sure straight-line speed in the 2.0 would be fine for me. Even with the heavier weight, I thought the S's higher hp would somehow compensate. I certainly don't expect my S to perform like my 997 but didn't expect the drop-off as much as what I'm experiencing. There is a lag as when I gas it into a turn, the turbo boost (sort of like a downshift in the old days or perhaps it's just the PDK downshifting) kicks in at the end of the turn.

Getting my 10k service this weekend so I'll ask them to look it over.

On the GTS, has anyone driven the de-tuned 2.9 engine? Also, how does the twin turbo work? When one accelerates do both turbos kick in together or is one on a kind of a constant spool and the other kicks in later? Will the twin turbo shorten turbo lag?
Fair enough. I found my Macan pretty eager to downshift when in Sport, I did not have Sport Chrono. Sounds like it may be normal behavior, but I'd be interested to hear the outcome. Maybe there's an OEM software update out there, for TCU or ECU that could make a difference.

There is at most probably a handful of folks on these forums that have driven the GTS, as the first few only recently arrived stateside and a handful have been delivered, and they probably don't have too much experience with the vehicles yet. There are a lot of YouTube reviews out there, from the launch in Portugal back in February. Deliveries havbe been slowed somewhat by the 6 week + Porsche factory shutdown, too. (That ended yesterday).

·
Registered
839 Posts
The GTS will be last gas powered "fun" macan IMO, it will hold value. Any my dealer isnt getting alot of allocations in general due to corona. Battery powered SUV will be a dime a dozen soon

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue Metallic, AgateGrey/Pebble w Carbon Fiber
18 Posts
Fair enough. I found my Macan pretty eager to downshift when in Sport, I did not have Sport Chrono. Sounds like it may be normal behavior, but I'd be interested to hear the outcome. Maybe there's an OEM software update out there, for TCU or ECU that could make a difference.

There is at most probably a handful of folks on these forums that have driven the GTS, as the first few only recently arrived stateside and a handful have been delivered, and they probably don't have too much experience with the vehicles yet. There are a lot of YouTube reviews out there, from the launch in Portugal back in February. Deliveries havbe been slowed somewhat by the 6 week + Porsche factory shutdown, too. (That ended yesterday).
We ordered a GTS, but were only able to test drive an S, this was back in January. Loved the Macan, we ordered the GTS because my math showed that for similarly equipped vehicles we got about $4K worth of freebies compared to the S, and had the 2.9L engine on top of that. I liked the engine in the S, but having the GTS at home for a month now can say that the 2.9 in the GTS is a more responsive and eager engine in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Fish43. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear, that the 2.9 is a more responsive engine. As I asked earlier, with the twin turbo, do they both kick in at the same time or only as needed or one kick in on normal pedal pressure and the other comes on when you tromp it.

Your point about options also is the second reason I would trade mine in for at GTS. On value alone, the GTS bundles a lot of options that given how much Porsche charges for them, I would never buy for my S. However, when thrown in with the GTS, this makes the GTS a much better deal as you said. I'm getting old and close to retirement age so I view this as probably my last new vehicle (sigh! sad) so I would like it to have all the goodies that I like. However, there are three options which I cannot get in the Macan - heads-up display, nightvision (I'm paranoid about hitting deers which are numerous here) and the no slam door closing feature. The red is nice but is a $3K option so will probably go for the Mamba green.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can understand your issues with the lower and mid-range throttle response in the S, it could be peppier. It just needs to be tuned to deliver the power range better if you go that route. I think the 2.9 is better out of turns, but it's not 997 level. You're still a bit up against the factory tuning setup parameters, but a little less so on the higher trim levels you're looking at. You certainly can't go wrong getting pretty close with a well optioned GTS w/ chrono. The Turbo is great too and takes the subtleties a bit further in Sport Plus.

Might as well make it a beauty. Do agree the end of the ice will be largely upon us in the coming decades, and may look a lot like what is being slowly implemented in other countries with the universal battery across manufacturers and models. Like the 80v range lithium ion batteries setup used in outdoor power tools of today, swap them out and go again with another identical pre-charged one. Instead of filling up at a gas pump, you'll wait 5 minutes while a robot mechanic installs your replacement generic battery good for another X amount of miles. Not there yet, but something like 500-1000 miles a battery would make long distance trips easy without the charge-up wait.

·
Registered
2020 Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue Metallic, AgateGrey/Pebble w Carbon Fiber
18 Posts
Hi Fish43. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear, that the 2.9 is a more responsive engine. As I asked earlier, with the twin turbo, do they both kick in at the same time or only as needed or one kick in on normal pedal pressure and the other comes on when you tromp it.

Your point about options also is the second reason I would trade mine in for at GTS. On value alone, the GTS bundles a lot of options that given how much Porsche charges for them, I would never buy for my S. However, when thrown in with the GTS, this makes the GTS a much better deal as you said. I'm getting old and close to retirement age so I view this as probably my last new vehicle (sigh! sad) so I would like it to have all the goodies that I like. However, there are three options which I cannot get in the Macan - heads-up display, nightvision (I'm paranoid about hitting deers which are numerous here) and the no slam door closing feature. The red is nice but is a $3K option so will probably go for the Mamba green.
I believe there is a turbo for each bank of cylinders and they will spool in together when called for. It sure feels that way - in Sport or Sport+ it just leaps forward when you punch it, along with a terrific roar from the exhaust. You are well into triple digits extremely quickly. Highly addictive!
Regarding the night vision option, I will say the headlights on this vehicle are extremely good. That won’t necessarily help with the deer of course, it’s their unpredictability that’s the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the OP is referring to the "Acceleration in Gears" differences between the S and GTS. Based on the following data (first chart), the GTS is 1.9s (8-6.1) faster in 6th gear, 1s (5.7-4.7) faster in 5th gear and 0.6s (4-3.4) in 4th gear (Sport mode?) from 50-70 mph. This seems like the case the OP is describing, as I doubt pressing the pedal by a couple of inches would cause a gear reduction. However, in case of gear reduction (second chart), the GTS is 0.7s (6.8-6.1) faster from 50-90 mph. So the 50-70 mph acceleration difference between the two models would be less than 0.5s.

Now based on my ~2000 km experience with the S, I find the engine very responsive. With every drive I understand more what Porsche had in mind with the S. A very smooth drive with fuel economy in mind when gentle on the gas pedal. The tuning seems to promote less reliance on the turbo as much a possible. Also, in Normal mode the car downshifts to the 1st gear ONLY if the car comes to a stop. However, even in Normal mode if the press on the gas pedal cause a downshift, the turbo spools up, rpm stays around 4K for 3-4 seconds awaiting more input. For instance, let's say you are making a right turn into a side street in Normal mode. 5 seconds before the turn, if you press the gas pedal and car downshifts, turbo spools up, you could still brake for the turn, but when the turn is made, the engine is ready to respond.

So I recommend against ditching the S for the GTS and taking a major hit, money wise. At least until you spend more time with the car. Due to the break-in period I haven't tried manual shifting with the S. But based on my experience with other cars, I bet the S would become much more fun in manual mode.

As a side note, 95% of my drive would be in the city with the speed limits of less than 80 km/h (50 mph). So I personally don't see the GTS having much advantage (in terms of engine power) over the S for city driving.

Link to data:

2020 Macan S:
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2019/2872580/porsche_macan_s.html
2020 Macan GTS: https://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2020/2919290/porsche_macan_gts.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts