Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sport Edition 2013 981 BS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a set 18" Macan Take off wheels and tires with original TPMS intact. The TPMS system does not detect the sensors on the newly installed wheels. The local independent tire shop tells me they need to break down the tire and wheel set that came new on the car and extract the those TPMS sensors and re install in the 18 inch wheels because they claim the sensors are vehicle matched. I am not buying it. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
TPMS sensors are not vehicle matched. No such thing. The sensors on new set may be defective. Did you do a TPMS reset?

·
Premium Member
6,648 Posts
LOL. How do you vehicle match a new set of sensors when replacing the old ones? Stay far away from that shop.

Reactions: Glock19

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does the Macan really have some TPMS valves in some market? In Switzerland, we don't, it just compares the wheel rotation speeds with the current car speed to estimate the pressure (one must drive above 25km/h or 15mph). Maybe less accurate, yet it works well enough.
There's even an alert when I swap summer/winter wheels as it detects the rotation speeds are suddenly completely off; and I'm to set the wheel size and kind of tire in the MFD (TPM/tire type). See
So one would only have to drive at a stable speed above 15mph for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
After I swap wheels (I have a Summer set and an All-Season set for the Winter), in the TPMS menu, I have to change the wheel size & type of tire (Summer, Winter, All Season....pg. 182 in the owners manual), check the vehicle load (either Full Load, Partial Load), then I have to drive it a bit for the new TPMS to be "taught-in" until the tire pressure warning light goes out.

Now with that said, if the TPMS in your take-off set have dead batteries, or they are the wrong type (incorrect frequency, they need to be 433MHz), the Macan's PCM will not detect them. Don't sweat it though if you need a new set of TPMS, you can buy a set of German made HUF TPMS for about $149 w/free shipping on ebay, with either black or silver stems....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Agree with the first paragraph above. Needs to be configured in the TPMS menu, and then drive for a while to "learn"

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Duplicate 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m having a similar issue, put on new wheels and I am not seeing a pressure reading for any one of the wheels. I went to a local shop that used a tpms tool to check every wheel. It seems like one of my wheels has an issue where the tpms is not putting out a signal. I have a new set of 4 tpms units at home, but I may try to change just one first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does the Macan really have some TPMS valves in some market? In Switzerland, we don't, it just compares the wheel rotation speeds with the current car speed to estimate the pressure (one must drive above 25km/h or 15mph). Maybe less accurate, yet it works well enough.
There's even an alert when I swap summer/winter wheels as it detects the rotation speeds are suddenly completely off; and I'm to set the wheel size and kind of tire in the MFD (TPM/tire type). See
So one would only have to drive at a stable speed above 15mph for a couple minutes.
Is that even possible? I know you have to drive above 15mph same with my Macan which definetly has wheel sensors but how would wheel rotation determine tire pressure?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is that even possible? I know you have to drive above 15mph same with my Macan which definetly has wheel sensors but how would wheel rotation determine tire pressure?
I was wrong. That's the first car where I need to drive at 25kmph/15mph to get a reading of the pressure, so I thought it was a system comparing the number of wheel turns vs a speed computed from the GPS. But the owner's manual does say:
Changing a wheel and replacing tyres

• New wheels must be fitted with radio transmitters for Tyre Pressure Monitoring.
    Before tyres are changed, the battery charge condition of the wheel transmitters should be checked.
So I'm guessing the "learning the wheel" is to find which wheel sensor is in which corner of the car.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I’m having a little different issue after swapping the winter wheel set for the summers. Is it some how possible that the TPMS screen could have the right and left side TPMS reading switched? The TPMS screen was showing both left (driver) side tires 2-3 PSI’s low. However when I checked the pressure with a gauge it was actually the two right (passenger) side tires that were low. I‘m assuming the diagram on the TPMS screen is from the perspective of looking down on the car.

The TPMS tire selections were changed 21” summers to 20” winters. Didn't notice this issue with the summer tires or last winter with these same wheels/tires. The TPMS doesn’t remember the prior pairing last winter? The winter wheels may be on different sides this winter, not sure as they were not marked in any way.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I’m having a little different issue after swapping the winter wheel set for the summers. Is it some how possible that the TPMS screen could have the right and left side TPMS reading switched? The TPMS screen was showing both left (driver) side tires 2-3 PSI’s low. However when I checked the pressure with a gauge it was actually the two right (passenger) side tires that were low. I‘m assuming the diagram on the TPMS screen is from the perspective of looking down on the car.

The TPMS tire selections were changed 21” summers to 20” winters. Didn't notice this issue with the summer tires or last winter with these same wheels/tires. The TPMS doesn’t remember the prior pairing last winter? The winter wheels may be on different sides this winter, not sure as they were not marked in any way.
Joe, a few thoughts on this:

- First, just on general principles -- never mind the TPMS for now -- I would make sure that the tires are positioned correctly, if need be. That is, some tires are directional. My winter tires, Pirelli Scorpion NO-spec (on their own 18" rims, in my case), are directional. Near the upper reaches of the sidewall, i.e., very close to the tread, there's a notation, with a little arrow: "<-- Rotation."

Not all tires are directional, but just to be on the safe side, check this out.

- I don't trust the initial TPMS readouts. We know from some of my posts how OCD I can be with tire pressures, and I've noted that right after the first TPMS readout, the pressures are not always right. I sometimes leave the MFD in the TPMS display screen when turning on the car, just for yuks, to check this out. And I often see that the front or back pairs do not read the same on each side, even though I've set them, on each side of the axle, to be the same, to the tenth of a PSI.

I'm not talking about the tires' pressures changing as a result of warming up the tires. I'm talking in the first couple of minutes of easy driving. I think the individual TPMS sensors have to be pinged a few times, over the course of a few minutes, before they give what they think is an actual readout. I don't know the pinging frequency here, i.e., how often the MFD touches base, checks in, with the sensors, but I don't think it's anywhere near every second, for instance.

So I would drive moderately, for say ten minutes, and go back and forth to the MFD's TPMS display, to see if the readings change over the course of some gentle miles. That is, I'd want to verify the initial differentials you're seeing.

- Of course, you'll want to do the reset procedure, if you haven't done this already, the part where you tell the MFD, in its settings, that you've changed tires. That is, tell the MFD that you have the 21" summers, for instance, and drive a bit. Then stop, and tell it that you have the 20" snows on, and then go for a drive.

- I doubt that the MFD remembers where each TPMS sensor is. My GUESS is that it picks it up from the direction that each sensor connects to whatever it is that the MFD uses for a receiver. Kind of like how the system knows whether the key fob is inside or outside the vehicle (and will let you lock the car or not, in certain circumstances).

I believe, therefore, that the modest reset -- telling the MFD one thing, and then another -- will have the MFD receiver just look around again, to see, and then note, the direction of each TPMS sensor. Put another way, I doubt that there's any remembering of which tire WAS where, once a reset is done.

Bottom line (and, yeah, I need to research this a bit more, or have someone who actually KNOWS more about the innards of the system that the Macan uses): I'd do another couple of resets, with a little driving in between, and report back. And, regardless, I'd check to see if you have directional tires, and if you do that the tires are rotating correctly.

EDIT ADDENDA:

Here's an article about Porsche TPMS, and a Rennlist thread, both from 2018. Both seem to indicate (to me) that if you perform the MFD reset to its satisfaction, you should be good to go, no worries about which tire used to be where:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

- First, just on general principles -- never mind the TPMS for now -- I would make sure that the tires are positioned correctly, if need be. That is, some tires are directional. My winter tires, Pirelli Scorpion NO-spec (on their own 18" rims, in my case), are directional. Near the upper reaches of the sidewall, i.e., very close to the tread, there's a notation, with a little arrow: "<-- Rotation."

- I don't trust the initial TPMS readouts. We know from some of my posts how OCD I can be with tire pressures, and I've noted that right after the first TPMS readout, the pressures are not always right. I sometimes leave the MFD in the TPMS display screen when turning on the car, just for yuks, to check this out. And I often see that the front or back pairs do not read the same on each side, even though I've set them, on each side of the axle, to be the same, to the tenth of a PSI.

I'm not talking about the tires' pressures changing as a result of warming up the tires. I'm talking in the first couple of minutes of easy driving. I think the individual TPMS sensors have to be pinged a few times, over the course of a few minutes, before they give what they think is an actual readout. I don't know the pinging frequency here, i.e., how often the MFD touches base, checks in, with the sensors, but I don't think it's anywhere near every second, for instance.

So I would drive moderately, for say ten minutes, and go back and forth to the MFD's TPMS display, to see if the readings change over the course of some gentle miles. That is, I'd want to verify the initial differentials you're seeing.

- Of course, you'll want to do the reset procedure, if you haven't done this already, the part where you tell the MFD, in its settings, that you've changed tires. That is, tell the MFD that you have the 21" summers, for instance, and drive a bit. Then stop, and tell it that you have the 20" snows on, and then go for a drive.

- I doubt that the MFD remembers where each TPMS sensor is. My GUESS is that it picks it up from the direction that each sensor connects to whatever it is that the MFD uses for a receiver. Kind of like how the system knows whether the key fob is inside or outside the vehicle (and will let you lock the car or not, in certain circumstances).

I believe, therefore, that the modest reset -- telling the MFD one thing, and then another -- will have the MFD receiver just look around again, to see, and then note, the direction of each TPMS sensor. Put another way, I doubt that there's any remembering of which tire WAS where, once a reset is done.

Bottom line (and, yeah, I need to research this a bit more, or have someone who actually KNOWS more about the innards of the system that the Macan uses): I'd do another couple of resets, with a little driving in between, and report back. And, regardless, I'd check to see if you have directional tires, and if you do that the tires are rotating correctly.

EDIT ADDENDA:

Here's an article about Porsche TPMS, and a Rennlist thread, both from 2018. Both seem to indicate (to me) that if you perform the MFD reset to its satisfaction, you should be good to go, no worries about which tire used to be where:

What difference would the rotation of the tires have on the TPMS readings?

·
Registered
658 Posts
None, probably. Just a good idea to have them rotate the way they were designed (for traction, water dispersal, belt working, etc.), if they’re directional.

EDIT ADDENDA:

Thanks for the suggestions. The tires are Pirelli Winter Scorpions 20". As far as I know they are not directional, with no rotation arrows on the side wall at least looking at the pictures on Pirelli's and Tire Rack's websites as I sit here enjoying my morning coffee. The angle of the tread pattern would vary depending on what side of the car they are mounted on. I'll check later this morning. From what I can tell there is no inside or outside to the tires, they look symmetrical. The center tread section forms a "V" which depending on what side od the car its mounted could be reversed. I purchased the wheels and tires last January as a package from Tire Rack. I wouldn't expect them to make a mistake in how they were mounted the tires to the wheels but I'm sure they do on occasion. Once I look at the tires later this morning I'll give Tire Rack a call to confirm that they are not directional or have an inside or outside.

I any case, I have previously reset the TPMS to relearn the wheels twice. I'll try again picking something totally different like 18' summers, then go back to 20' winters.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. The tires are Pirelli Winter Scorpions 20". As far as I know they are not directional, with no rotation arrows on the side wall at least looking at the pictures on Pirelli's and Tire Rack's websites as I sit here enjoying my morning coffee. The angle of the tread pattern would vary depending on what side of the car they are mounted on. I'll check later this morning. From what I can tell there is no inside or outside to the tires, they look symmetrical. The center tread section forms a "V" which depending on what side od the car its mounted could be reversed. I purchased the wheels and tires last January as a package from Tire Rack. I wouldn't expect them to make a mistake in how they were mounted the tires to the wheels but I'm sure they do on occasion. Once I look at the tires later this morning I'll give Tire Rack a call to confirm that they are not directional or have an inside or outside.

I any case, I have previously reset the TPMS to relearn the wheels twice. I'll try again picking something totally different like 18' summers, then go back to 20' winters.
Joe:

As I noted above, and as @wwahl pointed out, this probably has nothing to do with the TPMS issue. For that, I'd make sure you turn off the car in between MFD resets of the tire sizes, and drive awhile in between.

However, I'm sure that we all want to see, for safety's sake, that if you do have directional tires, that they're mounted correctly. Here are some pics I just took, to show you what I'm talking about. These are also Pirelli Scorpions snows (which I purchased and were mounted by my local P-car dealer), on 18" rims in my case. Click the thumbnails and check out my green ovals in two of the pics (left side of car, back tire, then front):

2020-12-23_08-51-31.JPG 2020-12-23_08-51-48.JPG 2020-12-23_08-51-57.JPG 2020-12-23_08-52-11.JPG 2020-12-23_08-52-20.JPG 2020-12-23_08-52-30.JPG

·
Registered
658 Posts
Joe:

As I noted above, and as @wwahl pointed out, this probably has nothing to do with the TPMS issue. For that, I'd make sure you turn off the car in between MFD resets of the tire sizes, and drive awhile in between.

However, I'm sure that we all want to see, for safety's sake, that if you do have directional tires, that they're mounted correctly. Here are some pics I just took, to show you what I'm talking about. These are also Pirelli Scorpions snows (which I purchased and were mounted by my local P-car dealer), on 18" rims in my case. Click the thumbnails and check out my green ovals in two of the pics (left side of car, back tire, then front):

View attachment 237836 View attachment 237837 View attachment 237838 View attachment 237839 View attachment 237840 View attachment 237841
Checked the tires and they are directional. Luckily I have them on the correct side. Must not have looked very carefully but maybe the tread pattern gave me a clue. Couldn't find them on the Tire Rack picture until I called and they found it and pointed it out.

As to the TPMS issue, I'll just try entering a different set of tire parameters. Guess I will have to slightly under or over inflate one tire to see if the TPMS picks up the difference. Thanks

Reactions: wspollack
1 - 20 of 22 Posts