Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey - @SteveNJ - if you go into the MFD and change your tire size (and change it back), and then go drive around, does your car pick the sensors back up and start displaying the pressure again?

Every time I do that, I have to retrain the sensors to the car using PIWIS. It's just not supposed to work that way.

Be careful about what I'm asking - if you have the same problem, your only choice may be to find someone with a PIWIS to fix it (like your dealer).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hope this fixes your problem!!

I assume you have to take the tires off the rim to see determine orange versus black?
They told us the same bs - orange vs. black. Then they got the correct info from Porsche and reprogrammed something and it works fine. Didn't even ask what they did after the orange vs. black bs.
I had a problem on my Corvette when new about the front camera/gps. I went to the dealer with a printout from the Forum from GM and they wouldn't even look at the paper I had in my hand. They had to do their own "diagnosis" before they came to the same conclusion. UGH, dealers!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tried to reprogram my TPMS on my 21 GTS about 50 times to no avail through MFD. Must be something with programming and I'm just waiting to schedule a service appointment when I have time.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tried to reprogram my TPMS on my 21 GTS about 50 times to no avail through MFD. Must be something with programming and I'm just waiting to schedule a service appointment when I have time.
I'm sorry to hear about your TPMS problems. Please let us know how this turns out. I may be calling my dealer this week, or I may just wait until my first oil change. Sigh.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It'll all work out. Just annoying because I will be using a winter set every year.
At delivery fine, no issues, then I put on my own snows and non-OE wheels and expected the light. When putting factory wheels back on a no go on getting the light back off. Tried switching screens, switching light load, all different AS, Summer, winter options. Nothing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Took to the dealer today. He says it's the software.
I hope they have a fix some day. Thanks for letting us know what the dealer said. I hope to not see the dealer until my first oil change, so maybe there will be a few updates for them to apply (since there already is one update for PCM).

·
Registered
277 Posts
It was the same issue everyone else had. They said at delivery to dealer many had the TPMS issue but since my light was off there was no need to update at that time. Delivery was end of December.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It was the same issue everyone else had. They said at delivery to dealer many had the TPMS issue but since my light was off there was no need to update at that time. Delivery was end of December.
What happens if you go into your tire size settings in the MFD, and just re-select the current setting? You’ll have to drive around, but the TPMS sensors should get automatically picked back up after a couple/throuple miles of driving above 15 mph. If you‘ve driven around for 10 or 15 minutes, and no luck, you’ll get the “Service Required” message, and a dealer will need to re-train your TPMS. That’s the problem I’m hoping to someday get resolved.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just spent two months driving around with the light on after playing in MFD with TPMS sensor so I am not going to mess with it until winter and snow tires go back on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just spent two months driving around with the light on after playing in MFD with TPMS sensor so I am not going to mess with it until winter and snow tires go back on.
Yeah - it can be annoying.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S Ordered 9/17/2020
2 Posts
Took delivery of '21 Macan S in January. Drove with all-season 19" wheels for 1 week no TPMS issues. Had dealer swap to 18" winter wheels/snows purchased from dealer, no TPMS issues. Swapped wheels with all-seasons back on 4/3/2021 and could not get TPMS to re-register despite trying about 15-times in MFD. Had to wait 3 weeks to get appointment for dealer to check and state that for '21 model, Porsche changed TPMS to require computer reset on wheel change. Dealer MFD reset will no longer work on tire swap. Hard to believe Porsche would require dealer visit for wheel change?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Took delivery of '21 Macan S in January. Drove with all-season 19" wheels for 1 week no TPMS issues. Had dealer swap to 18" winter wheels/snows purchased from dealer, no TPMS issues. Swapped wheels with all-seasons back on 4/3/2021 and could not get TPMS to re-register despite trying about 15-times in MFD. Had to wait 3 weeks to get appointment for dealer to check and state that for '21 model, Porsche changed TPMS to require computer reset on wheel change. Dealer MFD reset will no longer work on tire swap. Hard to believe Porsche would require dealer visit for wheel change?
I don't think Porsche did it on purpose. Supposedly Porsche is investigating the issue. My '21 718 picked up the third party sensors on my winter wheels with no problem, but swapping back to the factory wheels for summer resulted in a service appointment for the dealer to reprogram. It's causing a ton of headaches for people who track their '21 GT4 cars because there is a special track setting in the MFD for tire pressure and when switching back to normal people are running into the same issue. So it doesn't seem to be a purposeful change on the part of Porsche.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S Ordered 9/17/2020
2 Posts
Good to hear. My dealer just seems to accept that Porsche made a change and this is the way we're stuck with it. He didn't charge me for this reset but indicated he would going forward if they did not change the wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good to hear. My dealer just seems to accept that Porsche made a change and this is the way we're stuck with it. He didn't charge me for this reset but indicated he would going forward if they did not change the wheels.
I'm hoping we're not stuck with it. I was wondering if they'd charge me for the reset (they didn't). Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but there is a Porsche technical bulletin about the issue of which my dealer was aware. They said they've had '21s freshly delivered where they've had to do the reset during PDI. I figure if they never resolve it I'll need new summer tires about when the car is out of warranty and I can swap the sensors to the aftermarket sensors that seem to work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The sensors work on factory cars. It’s just that adjusting them through MFD will set a TPMS light that only dealer can reset. 😞

·
Registered
553 Posts
Dealer might be full of it.

But you CAN do this yourself. If you have a PIWIS or something like a Launch x431, the process involves taking the time to identify the TMPS sensor serial number at each wheel and keeping a record of those. When you change wheels, go back into your PIWIS or x431 and manually enter the appropriate sensor information.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts