Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Browsing my photos I ran across the screen shot below from the Airstream Forum. This forum has a multitude of comparisons and educated guesses as to why the Touareg, Q7, and Cayenne tongue weight limits vary but this post was the clearest explanation. Several posts point out European trailers are designed for TW of 5-8% of towed weight while the American bogey is 10-15% (some say 9-15%). Apparently this is because WDH’s aren’t used/trusted in Europe, so towing speeds are slower. Differing towing standards seem to explain why Touareg-Q7-Cayenne rating are always either precisely 8% or 10%. For a while VW even sent Touareg owners new stickers upon request to “upgrade” their TW limit from 616 lb to 770 lb.

We’re dealing with it in our Cayenne by staying well under the 7700 lb towing limit and balancing the trailer to achieve TW of 8% of rated tow capacity (616 lb) and 11.5% of actual trailer weight. I’d be comfortable with 770 lb on the tongue but it’s not necessary with our setup so far. It should still be manageable with a full fresh water tank for boondocking.

It seems very likely the same 8% vs 10% issue drives the Q5-Macan TW limits. However, none of this addresses the strength of the hitch and its mounting if you exceed 8-10%. Then you’re in unknown and risky territory. IIRC some Cayenne owners said on the Airstream thread they exceeded 10% while towing huge trailers, but with a hitch reinforcement done by CanAm RV. Maybe the Macan hitch is upgradable too? A call to CanAm RV in Ontario would be a place to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here’s our set- up, Macan S 2021, Alto Safari Condo camper 2018, GW 2700lb, Remote brake controller, weight distribution bar. Gas mileage 13-15 mpg on kentucky, Tennessee and N. Carolina mountain, Adaptive cruise control on highway @ 77 mph and 80’s when passing,,,just tested in Tail of the Dragon twisties and it did very good combination with solid feel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Here’s our set- up, Macan S 2021, Alto Safari Condo camper 2018, GW 2700lb, Remote brake controller, weight distribution bar. Gas mileage 13-15 mpg on kentucky, Tennessee and N. Carolina mountain, Adaptive cruise control on highway @ 77 mph and 80’s when passing,,,just tested in Tail of the Dragon twisties and it did very good combination with solid feel.
"Gas mileage 13-15 mpg " That is a killer price to pay but what the heck this fits in the fun category.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually im happy about the mileage compare to my toyota Sienna towing same camper and just getting 9-13 gpm @70’s mph and it get worse when in cruise control .

·
Registered
830 Posts
Have you guys noticed that car is lugging while towing uphill? Sometimes it's obvious that the car struggles but it doesn't downshift so I have to do this manually. Do you tow in sports mode?

·
Registered
10 Posts
How heavy is your tow? .. I don’t have that issue, all the time automatic and still i have reserved power,,,in interstates I use Adaptive cruise control and it’s a breeze, I was in Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina mountains,,this camper is around 2200-2500 lb and aerodynamic.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine is around 3000lb. It's not that there is no power reserve it just makes no sense to to in 7th gear uphill with rpm under 2000. I switch a gear or two in these circumstances. I wonder if sports mode would help? It would keep RPMs higher but it could additional stress to transmission i guess based on that sports+ mode makes shifts harsher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, its a little bit heavier, I will put in sports mode ,,, or I will do a quick downshift 1-2 gear if i felt some lagging or if i want a quick response in Drive mode..
I noticed the downshifting and engine brake is smoother in drive mode than sport mode and sport mode+ is more aggressive.

if im just cruising while towing then 7 th gear is fine for me it saves gas though.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts