Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What's the max towing weight & tongue weight for the Macan S? You guys use a WDH (even with air suspension)? Beautiful pics btw

siberian
GVWR for the 2016 Macan S with [1D6] option is 5622 lbs. You have to dig for tongue weight specifications and that's 500 pounds. Pure pull weight is 2400 kg, which is roughly 5300 pounds.

Did not use a WDH (weight distribution hitch), but am getting this one for the heavier Lance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thought I'd add that I've hauled cars on those shitty U-Haul caddies and pulled boats and 5th wheels and such with big trucks, etc. It's simply never fun.

Towing that little trailer with the Macan was a lot of fun. It was TIGHT. Simply can't compare with any other towing experience. When you plug that 7 pin adapter in, the Porsche electronics are aware of what's going on. Adjustments were made, that was very clear.

The Lance 1685 dry weight is around 4200 pounds and is really stretching it for the Macan S. Horrible gas mileage aside, Ziggy pulled it like a champ and I only had two brief and minor sway moments in crosswinds. Will be installing a WDH and will start searching for a low mileage Cayenne S. Meantime, the Macan can pull it, but every trip will be a very careful exercise in weight monitoring and distribution.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanx Sandia for your comments. If I may.

I've had this argument with VDub for years, air suspension does nothing to modify the fulcrum, what you do is simply raise or lower the vehicle not the pivot point thus a WDH is a must IMHO.

Something else to keep in mind are anti-sway bars.

So you don't have a separate brake controller (like a Tekonsha)?

Lastly tongue weight is normally 10% of max weight, thus on the Touaregs 7,700 lbs. or ~700 pounds.

You @ Sandia Labs? Spent 10 years @ CERN

siberian

PS Picture of my WDH entering the Yukon from the Top of the World Highway from Chicken, AK. Touareg in its element. Camper is a 2011 29' Passport Ultralight , dual axle single slide

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Agreed on WDH for loads approaching GVWR. But the real key to managing the dynamic stability is simply keeping your speed down.
Also agreed on tongue weight - 7.5% to 12.5% is the butter zone. Some manufacturers give you a tongue weight max separate from GVWR. Not certain why. Porsche documents are inconsistent. I saw both 400 and 500 pounds.
I did not use a separate brake controller. Both rigs used have electric brakes and the 7 pin handles it. Tested and verified... No additional controller needed. Braking performance was outstanding. Most mountain passes were able to be negotiated with only the transmission used to slow speed downhill, anyway.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I have the OEM Porsche hitch on my 2018 Macan GTS, and the label on it states the max trailer weight is 4410 lbs (2000 Kg), with a max tongue weight of 441 lbs (200 Kg).

Reactions: Sandia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have the OEM Porsche hitch on my 2018 Macan GTS, and the label on it states the max trailer weight is 4410 lbs (2000 Kg), with a max tongue weight of 441 lbs (200 Kg).
As frequently mentioned elsewhere, for reasons unknown, Porsche has lowered the GVWR in recent years. The 2016 S is rated at 5,622 lbs. I've used it to pull the Lance 1685 (4,482 dry, rated at 5,500) with no issues. Will be installing a WDH for that heavier load.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This thread is a couple years old but curious who is still towing a Travel Trailer with a Macan and if so, what weight/tongue weight and are you using a WDH or not? How has the overall experience been? Any issues? So far only made the trip home and to one campsite, seemed to go ok so far - a little bit bouncier... but definitely had the power to get up any hill I had to climb.

Trailer dry 3200/418 loaded ~3700/450.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
We took the route @Sandia mentioned above and tow with our Cayenne S, a towing beast. We’re at only 5400 lb gross with about 600 lb TW. German towing ratings are controversial and in some ways tough fully understand, especially low tongue weight limits that change year by year and by brand (eg VW-Audi-Porsche). A massive Airstream forum thread covers it very thoroughly with over 60 pages, and includes references to the Q5 platform. In the end you need to keep an eye on gross vehicle weight as well as tongue weight.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice Setup!

A massive Airstream forum thread covers it very thoroughly with over 60 pages, and includes references to the Q5 platform. In the end you need to keep an eye on gross vehicle weight as well as tongue weight.
Yes I've poured through those, mostly positive although I did come across one guy who said his Q5 hitch got loose after using a WDH - kind of scary. How does your Cayenne handle with the WDH? Do you get any porpoising? I'm wondering if we just feel it more with the stiffer suspension in the Porsche's. I'm currently using the EAZ-Lift at the recommendation onf CanAm RV (Also from the Airstream forum) but am contemplating the Anderson.

Power wise my Macan pulled it great, I climbed a 2000' hill, my biggest concern really is tongue weight - that and there's not a whole lot holding that hitch on the car, only 4 bolts.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Nice Setup!

Yes I've poured through those, mostly positive although I did come across one guy who said his Q5 hitch got loose after using a WDH - kind of scary. How does your Cayenne handle with the WDH? Do you get any porpoising? I'm wondering if we just feel it more with the stiffer suspension in the Porsche's. I'm currently using the EAZ-Lift at the recommendation onf CanAm RV (Also from the Airstream forum) but am contemplating the Anderson.

Power wise my Macan pulled it great, I climbed a 2000' hill, my biggest concern really is tongue weight - that and there's not a whole lot holding that hitch on the car, only 4 bolts.
No porpoising but maybe that’s related to WDH type and adjustment? We carefully manage tongue weight by how we load the trailer. That’s “adjustable” towing a camper but not so much towing a car. The Cayenne suspension doesn’t seem nearly as stiff as the Macan. Its GVW limit of 1150 prompts us to carry heavier cargo at the rear of the trailer instead of in the a Cayenne, keeping both GVW and TW in the right range. It’s a balancing act, pun intended.

Our WDH itself is quite heavy. The Andersen is much lighter and technically very cool. It’s tempting. Our Fastway e2 was part of the trailer purchase. We’ll stick with it for now. It seems to work well enough, although the shank is rather long. I could be talked into the Andersen eventually.

Those bolts in the post might have loosened even without a WDH. Maybe they weren’t properly torqued? You could remove yours and reinstall with Locktite if that gives you peace. Check torque periodically? We’re noobs at this. We’ll keep speed in check, avoid rough roads, and try to keep the load balanced. The Airstream thread suggests German SUV’s are conservatively designed with respect to towing. I like that..

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
This thread is a couple years old but curious who is still towing a Travel Trailer with a Macan and if so, what weight/tongue weight and are you using a WDH or not? How has the overall experience been? Any issues? So far only made the trip home and to one campsite, seemed to go ok so far - a little bit bouncier... but definitely had the power to get up any hill I had to climb.

Trailer dry 3200/418 loaded ~3700/450.

View attachment 240248
That's a really nice setup. We looked at the Geo Pro as well. Which model do you have?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Very nice. We looked initially at the Lance 1475 and their slightly larger versions. Then with the help of lifetime RV'er friends and a weekend visit in their 5th wheel we thought more about how we'll use it. We won't be doing long road trips. We'll drive 1-8 hours and stay in State Parks for 2-5 nights, so we opted for the Grand Design Imagine 17mke for a roomier living space, realizing towing with the Macan was no longer possible.

At the other end of the spectrum are some really cool teardrop trailers. So many options, each with trade-offs! You're slightly less long, wide, and tall with less wind resistance. I'd really like all of those characteristics. We both have the Murphy bed to provide a more compact package. Looks like you have more storage space.

Last October on I-75 in GA we watched a 5th wheel with a flat on one of its tandem axles. The driver was unaware until it came apart, tearing a chunk out of his rig. So now we've acquired a TPMS for our new rig, also based on a recommendation from our RV friend. This Tymate system is a great value at just $60. It's very compact and easy to set up. This whole RV thing is a big learning experience for us. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
A neighbor on our court leases his sports cars, with swaps occurring several times each year. Here's this morning's delivery. It's a good illustration of towing without a load distributing hitch.

Reactions: wspollack and Opt1k

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very nice. We looked initially at the Lance 1475 and their slightly larger versions. Then with the help of lifetime RV'er friends and a weekend visit in their 5th wheel we thought more about how we'll use it. We won't be doing long road trips. We'll drive 1-8 hours and stay in State Parks for 2-5 nights, so we opted for the Grand Design Imagine 17mke for a roomier living space, realizing towing with the Macan was no longer possible.

At the other end of the spectrum are some really cool teardrop trailers. So many options, each with trade-offs! You're slightly less long, wide, and tall with less wind resistance. I'd really like all of those characteristics. We both have the Murphy bed to provide a more compact package. Looks like you have more storage space.

Last October on I-75 in GA we watched a 5th wheel with a flat on one of its tandem axles. The driver was unaware until it came apart, tearing a chunk out of his rig. So now we've acquired a TPMS for our new rig, also based on a recommendation from our RV friend. This Tymate system is a great value at just $60. It's very compact and easy to set up. This whole RV thing is a big learning experience for us. Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks we looked around a lot but really liked the value the GeoPro had and the layout. Definitely a bit smaller than yours but that murphy bed is awesome for making these extra spacious. If I had the towing capacity I'd definitely consider something a bit bigger but this is a good starter trailer for us. We too are new thanks for the tip on the TPMS fortunately ours came with it.

This summer most of our trips are within Northern California within 100 miles. Next year we may venture up the coast and maybe over towards Utah.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts