Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently spent some time in the Molas Pass area just south of Silverton Colorado. Towed an ultra light Safari Condo Alto. Towing in the San Juan Mountains along the "Million Dollar Highway" (CO 550) was a joy. Very tight...barely knew it was there. Spent some time in a normal campground to check out that scene, and then went off grid.

The ability to boondock down some unnamed washed out rutted forest service road, unhitch and then drive that amazing road into Silverton - WOW. That I can tow, cross low creeks and then unhitch and drive a road like that in a Porsche made me grin.

That was our test run. We plan to purchase a Lance 1685 based on this success.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice!

What's the weight on the trailer? Do you pull in normal mode or other?

Is that the Stealth Hitch? I just had one installed by Stealth Hitch last weekend as I needed to Uhaul a trailer back to Florida. Paid for itself in one weekend. A Rock steady hitch. Past hitches with other vehicles set my expectations to hear and feel all kinds of "clatter & clunking" from the play in the hitch. Not the case at all.

A few months prior after deciding to get a hitch, the wife drives me into a few local camper dealerships. As you can imagine....there are plenty here in Florida. I think she's trying to tell me something as we camp on two wheels. There was an Airstream 16" Sport that caught my eye but my pocket ran away :eek:

I envision the same scenario you just described: Pull, camp, unhitch and carve the roads ;).

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Wow really appreciate the pictures. You have an eye for photography and great camping locations. I which my wife would enjoy something like that haven’t done any camping since hanging up my motorcycle riding gear and selling the KTM.

My wife’s idea of camping is a central location to walk the city and a comfortable hotel room. I haven’t figured out how to justify the cost of some type of RV versus nightly hotel cost. 😟

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
My wife’s idea of camping is a central location to walk the city and a comfortable hotel room.
Next week my wife and I are going camping at The Grove Park Inn in Asheville . . . Club Floor. :| While she is in the spa I will take the Macan up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
If time permits, here's a nice little place to visit near Asheville. The MACAN will thank you ;)

https://diamondback226.com/

Right you are! I've been there several times . . . on a motorcycle.

There are some fun dirt roads from Ridgecrest to Old Fort.

Buck Creek Road (Hwy 80) from Lake Tahoma to the Parkway is a fun paved road.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What's the max towing weight & tongue weight for the Macan S? You guys use a WDH (even with air suspension)? Beautiful pics btw

siberian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Right you are! I've been there several times . . . on a motorcycle.

There are some fun dirt roads from Ridgecrest to Old Fort.

Buck Creek Road (Hwy 80) from Lake Tahoma to the Parkway is a fun paved road.
Roger that!

Not to derail the OP's thread but I will be riding through in October heading to the Overland East Expo. Will do some dirt and a little bit of the MABDR

OK.. back to Towing:)

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I want to know how much that trailer weighed.

I have a standup motorcycle trailer and a Triumph Bobber. That's all I ever tow but I would be interested to know if I can tow more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Approximately 4400 lbs. with tongue weight of 440 lbs. I forget the exact numbers but those are very close. For 2019/2020. Downgraded from 5000lbs in prior years. Not because it is any less capable, just a change in the way it is rated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is very cool. How was the gas mileage when towing?
I drove to Durango CO from Albuquerque, picked up the trailer and continued to Silverton, then reversed that. Mileage there was 17.0 and mileage back 17.2. For comparison, my best high altitude highway cruise mileage has been 21.6, and my overall average is about 19.5.

I just got back from towing the much heavier (~4500 pounds) Lance 1685. Lots of highway cruising and lots of mountain passes. Mileage in the worst parts was about 10! But very stable, no sway.

I'm thinking of getting a Cayenne S to pull the Lance. The Macan is capable, but the Cayenne is rated for about 2k more weight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice!

What's the weight on the trailer? Do you pull in normal mode or other?

Is that the Stealth Hitch? I just had one installed by Stealth Hitch last weekend as I needed to Uhaul a trailer back to Florida. Paid for itself in one weekend. A Rock steady hitch. Past hitches with other vehicles set my expectations to hear and feel all kinds of "clatter & clunking" from the play in the hitch. Not the case at all.

A few months prior after deciding to get a hitch, the wife drives me into a few local camper dealerships. As you can imagine....there are plenty here in Florida. I think she's trying to tell me something as we camp on two wheels. There was an Airstream 16" Sport that caught my eye but my pocket ran away :eek:

I envision the same scenario you just described: Pull, camp, unhitch and carve the roads ;).
Safari Condo info here. Short answer is 2356 lbs/1068 kg.

Don't recall the make of that hitch. I bought in 2004. Nothing fancy. Just bought an Andersen 4" Rise that's beautiful.

That Airstream is gorgeous. We will eventually get something far bigger and comfy...the current thinking is that while we are still relatively young and fit, we want something light that we can boondock with and use as a base for back country hiking and real camping. There is a Class A in our future, but not yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If time permits, here's a nice little place to visit near Asheville. The MACAN will thank you ;)

https://diamondback226.com/
I used to live in NYS. Very familiar with the Appalachians from Maine to Georgia as I spent several years paddling "hair" whitewater (Class V+). Spent a lot of time in the Asheville area.

The Tail of the Dragon is pretty sweet too. >:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
13 Participants
Sandia
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing