Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts
Confusing. I ask the dealer today. He gave me a number around 3,500 lbs. Sounds a lot better than 1,700 lb I saw some place. The small trailer at UHual is close to 1,000 lb empty.

I also put on a Rocky Mount TieRod forked mounted bike rack on the Porsche Bar today. It looked like it will work, alleluia! Thule said they don't have anything for this cross bar.
Cee,

There are two tow ratings. The lower one you cited is for an unbraked trailer. The much higher number (which was 4500, now possibly higher) is for a trailer with brakes.

-V

Have they upped the trailer tongue weight too? You're technically supposed to have a % of total weight on the tongue.

Need to increase more! Still can't tow RV and I kaboshed SA's suggestion we trade in for smaller RV. Hmmmmph!

Don't know how accurate this is but my SA told me towing anything more than jet skis, in time, will wreak havoc on the pdk.
Good thing that's all I'm towing :)

While I no longer pull horse trailers or motorcycle trailers, I occasionally pull a U Haul and I have a 5 x 10 flatbed utility trailer that I pull with my current SUV to take the place of a pickup bed when I need to haul stuff. Hopefully I will try out the pulling capabilities of the Macan before the end of the year and hook up to the utility trailer. But, even this country boy will likely never be able to see my Macan hooked up to a U Haul! Obviously, I ordered a hitch in order to pull a trailer. But I could see getting one of those ice chest or box haulers that is basically a platform mounted onto the hitch for those rare times when I need more room.
See my post #19 and the picture below. Never say never!!!

Attachments

We routinely pull a 2 horse trailer with either the wife's Q5 or my Macan. On relatively flat roads, in all 4 seasons, on tarmac, gravel or mud. Zero issues with either. Trailer has mechanical inertial breaks. Both cars perform just fine with a 5000lb load. Never understood what all the fuss was about.

My "new" 2017 has the trailer tow package which I am very glad to have. But no manual, so not sure if the lights come all prepped and ready to go or if I need to do anything to begin using it. Anyone doing any towing with their Macan?

Look to the left of the 2" receiver. There should be either a plastic cover with screws, or trailer connector with a flip up lid.
If no flip up lid (like in attached picture) then you need to get the two items at the dealer. One is the seven pin socket, and the other is a 7pin to 4 pin converter.
PNA-955-127-08B 7 to 4 pin adapter.
PNA-955-118-93B 7 pin wiring socket.

Parts stores may have the Pollack part number 11-893P socket, and the Pollack part number 12-716P 7 pin to 4 pin adapter.

You should be able to tow 4,400 lbs. according to the factory manual.

Attachments

Look to the left of the 2" receiver. There should be either a plastic cover with screws, or trailer connector with a flip up lid.
If no flip up lid (like in attached picture) then you need to get the two items at the dealer. One is the seven pin socket, and the other is a 7pin to 4 pin converter.

Parts stores may have the Pollack part number 11-893P socket, and the Pollack part number 12-716P 7 pin to 4 pin adapter.

Also check to see if you need a wire and module adapter like in the Cayeened.
in rennlist.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne...renced-vw-touareg-tow-module-and-harness.html

Thank you for this!

I'm looking at getting a UTV approv weight of 1500-1800lb. I'm struggling with the towing capacity. I called 2 different dealers one stated that towing capacity was 4500lb and another said 3500lb.

Does anyone have any recommendations or insight? Also, how does the Macan tow? I'm hoping well!

FYI I do not have a hitch installed yet, but I plan on getting the OEM Porsche hitch installed from the dealer.

Update: After checking my owners manual, which I should have checked in the first place, unbraked trailer is at ~1600lb and with a trailer it s ~4400lb

The begs another question, if you have a braked trailer, do you still need to install the 'little black box' aka the controller? Or has technology changed since then and it just goes off the input of the brake pedal?

41 - 60 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.