Porsche Macan Forum banner

Towing Capacity

71K views 117 replies 51 participants last post by  wwahl 
I'm looking at getting a UTV approv weight of 1500-1800lb. I'm struggling with the towing capacity. I called 2 different dealers one stated that towing capacity was 4500lb and another said 3500lb.

Does anyone have any recommendations or insight? Also, how does the Macan tow? I'm hoping well!

FYI I do not have a hitch installed yet, but I plan on getting the OEM Porsche hitch installed from the dealer.

Update: After checking my owners manual, which I should have checked in the first place, unbraked trailer is at ~1600lb and with a trailer it s ~4400lb

The begs another question, if you have a braked trailer, do you still need to install the 'little black box' aka the controller? Or has technology changed since then and it just goes off the input of the brake pedal?

More food for thought that I'm looking for opinions, I just talked to my SA (who tows frequently and races cars etc). He was hesitant with towing on the Macan and having brakes with a single axle trailer. He had a great point that if one wheel (on the trailer) was braking and the other wheel didn't brake at the same pressure, it would fish tail pretty hard.

Has anyone experienced this? He did say this was common a number of years ago on trailers he had back in the day.

Currently I'm looking at PJ trailers or some 'cheaper' "Rugged Trailer" that brakes would be put on after the fact.

Update 2: Just realized the PJ trailer is nearly 1800lb! by itself! With a UTV on it with gear, it would surpass the towing capacity of the Macan.

My UTV that took months to arrive, finally did! However I'm getting some weird feeling when towing with the Macan. When just normal driving, I get a weird pushing/pulling feeling, which is somewhat an uneasy feeling. I'm thinking its the tongue weight, but not sure if its too much or too little.

The Setup: 19 Macan S w/ OEM hitch; Brand new 14' Trailer w/ Brakes (~800lb) and a RZR XP4 (~2000lb)

Attached is a photo, granted not the best photo.

Beyond the pushing/pulling. It seems to have great braking and plenty of power. (Granted I have yet to take it on the highway yet)

Do you have prior experience towing? If not what you are experiencing could potentially be considered "normal," but I would encourage you to have the tongue weight checked in some fashion, to ensure you have the weight properly loaded on the trailer. It might also be worth setting PASM to one of the firmer settings to see if it helps mitigate what you're feeling.
I've towed a little bit before, but never noticed this. I have a little more play with increasing tongue weight. I have like an extra foot that I can pull the UTV further up on the trailer. Might give that a whirl.

It's funny, I was also thinking and played around with PASM it didn't solve this issue, but I didn't even notice a change in dynamics. I can say I 100% regret not getting air suspension right now.

Yup -- trailer has brakes (and brand new) and brake controller which I tested and works.

But this pushing/pulling is not when braking, which is what is weird! I wish I could describe this better than pushing/pulling.

I have no idea. I don't have any issues with my trailer. But mine is unbraked for now. For me it sounds like either brakes are applied randomly or something is sticking. Perhaps you can try disconnecting the harness from the car and see if symptoms persists.
Weirdly enough, I tried that as well. Same problem. I just hope no one who gets easily car sick rides with me! lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.