Porsche Macan Forum banner

Towing Capacity

71K views 117 replies 51 participants last post by  wwahl 
#1 ·
As one who had originally intended to tow my GT3 to the track with my wife's Macan, only to be blindsided post-order by Porsche lowering the tow rating, thought I would provide a post by another user on Rennlist - seems he has had success towing his car to the track with the Macan - copy of post is below:

I took delivery on my wife's Macan S on the initial release date in May and have been towing my 997 GTS and 991 GT3 with it all summer and I would like to clear up several misconceptions represented in this thread.

First, I have towed either my GTS or my GT3 to 10 events, totaling over 4,500 miles, with the Macan S, using an open Trailex trailer. Total weight of the trailer, GT3, spare tire set, and tools is 4,200 - 4,300 lbs. I would rate the handling and braking characteristics of this rig with the Macan S to be OUTSTANDING. I have never experienced any controllability or stopping issues with the trailer. It feels completely safe. Whoever thinks that the Macan brakes might be the limiting factor doesn't appreciate Porsche brakes. There's nothing wimpy about the Macan brakes. They are over engineered, as are all Porsche brakes. The Master Mechanic at my Porsche dealer thinks that the only possible weak link in the mechanical chain might be the PDK transmission.

I am absolutely convinced that the Macan could safely handle the original rated towing capacity of 5,291 lbs. I think, but have not been able to verity, that the tow rating was only reduced in the USA. I think that it is still the higher 5,291 lbs. in other countries. It would be interesting if someone could confirm this. In the US, there is some new tow rating standard that will be put into place within the next year or so, and there is speculation that Porsche dropped the tow rating for the Macan in advance to meet the new standard.

I was disappointed that Porsche dropped the tow rating, since I was planning to buy a closed trailer for towing my GT3. That aside, I am completely satisfied with the Macan's ability to handle my 4,300 lb. open rig.

On another point, there has been discussion about the Macan's internal capacity for hauling spare tires. I think that the conclusion was that four tires wouldn't fit. I am a serious track junkie and I can never have enough spare tires or wheels so I was concerned about this capacity too. To set the record straight, I was able to fit two complete sets of GT3 tires, eight tires in all, into the Macan S. With the back seats down, I got four tires behind the front seats, three tires further back, and one tire in the passenger seat. BTW - these are big tires - the fronts are 245/35 ZR20 and the rears are 305/30 ZR20. I don't normally stuff the Macan with tires, though, because I have a tire rack on the Trailex trailer.

See less See more
#2 ·
When we decided to purchase our Macan, we did not consider its towing capabilities, and did not add the hitch or other options that would increase its towing capacity. We have an Acura MDX, with its 5,000 towing rating and factory hitch, to handle those duties. BUT, I would be interested in hearing about other Macan S owner's towing experiences...is it up to the challenge and what other issues have you noticed with your rig, power, stability, anything else?

#3 ·
For those interested in the tow rating of the Macan, and the fact that it quietly slipped from something slightly over 5000lbs to something around 4500 lbs, I got interested in what the brouhaha was over the new standard SAE J2807.

Link here is interesting: That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

It appears to be a pretty realistic standard for the 'big boys', those wanting to pull 10k+. Long, heavy grade, sustained pull, minimum speed. The small guys fall in the same test criteria.

It's interesting that the technical specs on the configurator indicate 4400/1600 braked/unbraked. 1600 unbraked is pretty darn measly.

On the Porsche website looking at the details of the Macan (not in configurator), we see this:

Trailer hitch without tow ball - Transport - Macan S - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Which indicates 5200 lbs (I think that was the original value on the configurator. Does this imply that with the towing package you get a higher tow rating?

There's also a pretty slick hidden ball system that I'd like to know more about.

Trailer hitch without tow ball

The Macan is quite simply the most versatile vehicle we have ever built. This includes the capability of being used as a tow vehicle.
An optional Towing Package includes a trailer receiver without tow ball that accommodates a maximum braked trailer weight of 5,219 pounds.
With its exceptional towing capacity, the Macan takes you down the road as perhaps no Porsche has ever before

#115 ·
For those interested in the tow rating of the Macan, and the fact that it quietly slipped from something slightly over 5000lbs to something around 4500 lbs, I got interested in what the brouhaha was over the new standard SAE J2807.

Link here is interesting: That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

It appears to be a pretty realistic standard for the 'big boys', those wanting to pull 10k+. Long, heavy grade, sustained pull, minimum speed. The small guys fall in the same test criteria.

It's interesting that the technical specs on the configurator indicate 4400/1600 braked/unbraked. 1600 unbraked is pretty darn measly.

On the Porsche website looking at the details of the Macan (not in configurator), we see this:

Trailer hitch without tow ball - Transport - Macan S - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Which indicates 5200 lbs (I think that was the original value on the configurator. Does this imply that with the towing package you get a higher tow rating?

There's also a pretty slick hidden ball system that I'd like to know more about.

Trailer hitch without tow ball

The Macan is quite simply the most versatile vehicle we have ever built. This includes the capability of being used as a tow vehicle.
An optional Towing Package includes a trailer receiver without tow ball that accommodates a maximum braked trailer weight of 5,219 pounds.
With its exceptional towing capacity, the Macan takes you down the road as perhaps no Porsche has ever before
I have the stealth hitch on my 2016 Turbo, it mounts like the factory hitch inside the rear frame, wiring is a bit of a pain but doable. Instructions are great but you have to cut up the rear diffuser for access and you will have to lie on the ground to install or remove the ball, That said, It is great. Jay

#5 ·
The physics behind the tow rating in the US was quoted in another post here (Ill search for it, but couldn't find it immediately). It comes down to the speed at which a vehicle and trailer sway becomes an unstable system, leading to loss of control. It has to do with tongue weight, trailer weight, location of the trailer axles and the speed at which it is all moving.

In Europe, trailering speeds are lower, strictly enforced and adhered to. Hence higher tow ratings for a given vehicle tongue weight capacity.

In the US, we have Billy Bob that loads a trailer to the maximum (or beyond maximum trailer weight), has no idea what the tongue weight is, and then drives on an expressway at 75mph+. Hence the lower tow ratings.

The US Macan is physically capable of towing at the EU spec, however...... you have to adhere to the EU towing speed limit.

#8 ·
Hmmm, I missed that the Mac doesn't have anti-sway bars.
@rtarver - are you still talking about towing here?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think @Wintermute was talking about a towing-specific sway control and it seems like you're referring to a lack of anti-sway bars as a part of the suspension which are not the same thing.

#7 ·
Hmmm, I missed that the Mac doesn't have anti-sway bars. That kind of flies in the face of SUV doesn't it? Or do CUVs get a pass on those. I guess I'm so used to trucks/suvs just coming with them that I didn't think to look. In truth, I'll probably never get near towing limit, and I do know how to load a trailer when I do haul.

#9 ·
@crunchy1X,

Yes, I was talking about the suspension components. I guess I haven't bought anything that has electronic or active sway control (no F250's or Ram 2500's for me) and didn't consider that the Mac might or might not come with that.

#11 ·
It's interesting to think about towing with the pdk. Old die-hards swear by manuals for heavy towing and if I understand the pdk, it's effectively an automated manual, albeit with two clutches. Of course, automatics (w/ torque converter) are so much 'easier' to tow with.

#13 ·
No point in leaving the tow ball on the vehicle just driving around. And if I take pictures of the car, I prefer the clean look with a block off plate. I've never thought to myself.....**** the car looks good with that greasy rusted tow ball.

If I drag the trailer up North in a week or two, Ill grab a photo.

#19 ·
#18 ·
Don't worry, @txtommy -- @RJMcInnis is on Hawaii time and hasn't been fed yet...Always grumpy on an empty stomach...

#36 · (Edited)
Well now I'm royally confused. Is this just a typo that made it through the 2015-2016 transition? Or are they going back to their original towing capacity in earnest? What does mean for 2015 models? Oh, I'm sooo confused! What to do, what to do? Oh yeah, I don't have a trailer so why am I freaking?

#38 ·
That has always been the rating for the EU spec Macan's.

#39 ·
Good news if it's certain. I am planning on getting a boat and trailer in a couple of years and the extra towing capacity will give me some more leeway.

#40 ·
Confusing. I ask the dealer today. He gave me a number around 3,500 lbs. Sounds a lot better than 1,700 lb I saw some place. The small trailer at UHual is close to 1,000 lb empty.

I also put on a Rocky Mount TieRod forked mounted bike rack on the Porsche Bar today. It looked like it will work, alleluia! Thule said they don't have anything for this cross bar.

#44 ·
Have they upped the trailer tongue weight too? You're technically supposed to have a % of total weight on the tongue.

#45 ·
Need to increase more! Still can't tow RV and I kaboshed SA's suggestion we trade in for smaller RV. Hmmmmph!

#47 ·
Good thing that's all I'm towing :)

#51 ·
We routinely pull a 2 horse trailer with either the wife's Q5 or my Macan. On relatively flat roads, in all 4 seasons, on tarmac, gravel or mud. Zero issues with either. Trailer has mechanical inertial breaks. Both cars perform just fine with a 5000lb load. Never understood what all the fuss was about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.