Porsche Macan Forum banner

Tow bar - Australia - aftermarket vs genuine

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Fast_Eddie 
#1 ·
Hi all

I'm recently new to the Porsche ownership stable.

We've just taken delivery of a Macan S Diesel that has an aftermarket towbar fitted.
To retain Porsche extended warranty, the bar + wiring had to be removed. Apparently the diagnostic computer senses resistance drops (!) in aftermarket wiring... regardless - the warranty was important, so it's out.

So - now I am at a choice... Given that the Hayman Reese bar is actually very good, could I just put that back in + get a factory wiring harness to put in with it? That would surely keep the factory happy?
Would that need some specific coding to make work? (can buy the part out of the USA for AUD$105)

Or - just get the Hayman Reese guys to put a new aftermarket wiring kit back in? (I can get this FOC)

Or - full factory towbar which is $2,800...

Thoughts / opinions etc?

Many thanks

pdt

See less See more
#2 ·
Just remember that under Australian Consumer Law a manufacturer cannot refuse warranty unless the aftermarket product can be shown to have contributed to the fault that you have experienced. Your warranty remains in place regardless of non Porsche fitments.
However if there was an issue that could be attributed to the HR tow bar not complying exactly with Porsche specs (eg: download weight, fitment locations, type of steel used, bolt specs, etc etc) than you are likely not to have the warranty applied to that issue.......unless you want to take on Porsche engineers in court!

#3 ·
PS: I am not a lawyer, but this is the advice I have been given numerous times by my ACL corporate lawyers.

The other two considerations are:
1. If you want to avail yourself of a warranty extension st some stage - if the car does not comply with Porsche's requirements that will not be available to you.
2. Porsche may be reluctant to extend its "goodwill" to other issues you may have that fall outside warranty matters.

#4 ·
If you are speaking of Porsche extended warranty ( beyond the 3 years) I’m 99% sure it must have all Porsche serving , 100% Porsche genuine parts , even the tyres must have the Porsche code ( N1,N2, N3 etc) . This is from a friend who has been a Porsche tech for 20 plus years.

#5 ·
Yep - the main concern is the extended warranty.
So - am I right in thinking that the extended warranty becomes useless then if I fit the aftermarket option?
Or, is it back to the point of it only affecting whatever can be proved to be the cause etc (like under factory warranty conditions)?

I fear I may have just wasted $2590 on a two year warranty that is useless, unless I shell out for the factory towbar...
yuck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.