Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t decide between the Porsche Macan and BMW X3 M40i. I like the look and more compact nature of Macan but am leaning towards BMW due to the fear of high maintenance costs of Macan and what I read about squealing brakes but wanted to know if I should let this influence my decision? Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I shopped both and settled on the Macan.
When I drove the X3 it really felt top heavy and even though it is more performance oriented it still was in my mind lacking the soul that made BMW what BMW used to be. The PDK in the Macan is awesome and the steering likewise. I also was looking for a car SUV cross over and I loved the fact that the Macan is an SUV but in many ways drives like a car. Yes the maintenance costs are more expensive that the BMW but they are also at least for the duration of the warranty clearly quantifiable. After warranty runs out both are expensive to repair.

Either way you get a great car but I went Macan hands down

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your help! I will check out that link and Craig Congrats on your purchase!! This is helpful. I know the size is about the same but agree with you the top feels a little heavy and I felt more comfortable in Macan like I was driving a car! My heart is telling me Macan but my loyalty and discounts to/with BMW and going with what I know is telling me BMW. Good to know the costs though are quantifiable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I shopped both as well. Brought my parents and brother with me as we’ll take family trips in the car. They felt more comfortable in the back seats of the Macan vs BMW. BMW X3 M40i was quicker and handled really well. The way I specced them they were within a few thousands of the Macan S. Never had a Porsche before and I liked everything about the Macan so I went with that: styling, handling, comfort, PDK, etc. Part of it was that I came from about 15 years of BMW and got tired of their lineup. Current vehicles have such big nostrils that I don’t like. Overall, I knew if I didn’t go with the Macan I’ll lust after it when ever I see it on the road. So all things considered I went with the Macan S. No regrets.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I can’t decide between the Porsche Macan and BMW X3 M40i. I like the look and more compact nature of Macan but am leaning towards BMW due to the fear of high maintenance costs of Macan and what I read about squealing brakes but wanted to know if I should let this influence my decision? Thanks!
Hope you are comparing at least the Macan S with the BMW X3 M40i, right? Comparing the Base Macan to the BMW X3 M40i would not be a fair comparison. Yes the Macan has higher maintenance costs, but the Macan is better built, and will handle better. In addition, you can equip a Macan with air suspension for a smoother ride...not so the BMW.

Keep in mind that just about all performance vehicles will have squeaky brakes at times. My past Mercedes, BMWs, and my current Macan's brakes squeal at times....slowly coming to a stop in traffic on hot days for instance or backing out of my driveway on a cold dry morning, perfectly normal since my Macan GTS has performance brake pads.

Have you shopped the 2020 Mercedes AMG GLC 43 coupe yet? You should, it has more tech than the Macan, and it has air suspension too! My wife picks her ordered GLC 43 up this April....

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m a fan of the X3M for sure but the one thing I don’t like about many of the BMW’s and some of the yet to be refreshed Audi’s and Merc’s is the IPad sticking up out of the dash phenomena. It looks like an afterthought vs an integrated system. Now the newer Audi, Merc and the entire Volvo line seem to have it figured out, as does Macan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Just replaced my 2016 Macan Turbo with an X3MC. It's pretty different, & I'm still getting used to it, but we've had many BMWs over the years & it's not an unfamiliar brand to me. It's definitely firmer, but there's a lot more head room in the cabin, especially the back seats. It also has much more cargo room than my Macan did. I think it's more of an SUV, whereas the Macan is a crossover. So far, so good.

We considered ordering a new Macan, but our local dealer grudgingly offered us a 1% discount. Someone had suggested one of the Atlanta dealers who offered a 8% discount, but they had no allocations left. The Hubster got an X5M last summer & that got us thinking about the X3M. I miss some of the Macan's features, but I'm happy with the X3. Who knows, I may come back to the Macan in a few years, but I was annoyed enough with our local dealer that I didn't want to pay $20K more to have to deal with them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shopped both as well. Brought my parents and brother with me as we’ll take family trips in the car. They felt more comfortable in the back seats of the Macan vs BMW. BMW X3 M40i was quicker and handled really well. The way I specced them they were within a few thousands of the Macan S. Never had a Porsche before and I liked everything about the Macan so I went with that: styling, handling, comfort, PDK, etc. Part of it was that I came from about 15 years of BMW and got tired of their lineup. Current vehicles have such big nostrils that I don’t like. Overall, I knew if I didn’t go with the Macan I’ll lust after it when ever I see it on the road. So all things considered I went with the Macan S. No regrets.
Thanks and I feel the same that I would regret not getting the Porsche because like you I have driven BMW for a long time but I may be ready for a change. I just think BMW service is great and so convenient to where I am. Worry about service at another dealership.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope you are comparing at least the Macan S with the BMW X3 M40i, right? Comparing the Base Macan to the BMW X3 M40i would not be a fair comparison. Yes the Macan has higher maintenance costs, but the Macan is better built, and will handle better. In addition, you can equip a Macan with air suspension for a smoother ride...not so the BMW.

Keep in mind that just about all performance vehicles will have squeaky brakes at times. My past Mercedes, BMWs, and my current Macan's brakes squeal at times....slowly coming to a stop in traffic on hot days for instance or backing out of my driveway on a cold dry morning, perfectly normal since my Macan GTS has performance brake pads.

Have you shopped the 2020 Mercedes AMG GLC 43 coupe yet? You should, it has more tech than the Macan, and it has air suspension too! My wife picks her ordered GLC 43 up this April....
Yes I also cross shopped the GLC 43 and it’s a beauty with a gorgeous interior but right now the only car I would leave BMW for would be the Macan. I looked at both the Macan and Macan S and feel for me the Macan is fine for what I need. Not as much into speed as handling, comfort and tech.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Another suggestion/food for thought: how about leasing the X3 M40i for 2-3 years while waiting for the next gen Macan? I can’t imagine it taking longer than 2-3 years. They had the refresh last year and the first one came out in 2015. That’s 5/6 years already. I highly doubt it’s a 10 year product lifecycle for the Macan. You’d get a new platform, etc. it’s more expensive going this route but you get to live with both vehicles back to back.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes I also cross shopped the GLC 43 and it’s a beauty with a gorgeous interior but right now the only car I would leave BMW for would be the Macan. I looked at both the Macan and Macan S and feel for me the Macan is fine for what I need. Not as much into speed as handling, comfort and tech.
I have a Sport Edition, which is the base engine with air suspension and it is the quietest, smoothest running car that I have ever owned. I do my own maintenance and this is also the easiest to work on. Far easier than my wife's BMW 318xi. The inline 4 cylinder single turbo engine in an engine bay designed for a V6 twin turbo means accessibility when working on anything under the hood. Plus the size of the hood gives access to the top of the suspension components, headlights, etc.

Maintenance costs at a dealer probably won't reflect the reality of this, but most likely will at a local independent shop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another suggestion/food for thought: how about leasing the X3 M40i for 2-3 years while waiting for the next gen Macan? I can’t imagine it taking longer than 2-3 years. They had the refresh last year and the first one came out in 2015. That’s 5/6 years already. I highly doubt it’s a 10 year product lifecycle for the Macan. You’d get a new platform, etc. it’s more expensive going this route but you get to live with both vehicles back to back.
Hi CarGuy. Ironic that you suggest that because that is exactly the conclusion i made peace with today. I would lose my loyalty discounts if I did Porsche first and then wanted to go back to BMW. Better to stay w BMW for now (they are discounting a new 2020) over 10k and if I decide to I can always get a Porsche 3 years later and then like u say get the new gen Macan! Thank you for your help!! :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. I have owned a few BMWs. Two 328s and two X5s. Latest was a 2016 X5. Loved them all. I went from that one to a 2018 Macan S. Great car. Recently, I compared the new X4 40i to the new Macan S. X3 has a little more cargo area than X4 but X4 is far more fun to drive. If I really needed that extra space I'd have stayed with the X5 and never tried the Macan S. I really liked both vehicles. After much deliberation, and research, I opted for a new Macan S. It didn't help BMW that they downgraded their maintenance coverage from the X5 I owned. But it was still more expensive than the Porsche would be. Now it's scheduled maintenance as opposed to everything but brakes. One thing that did push things over the top was a comment made by my top BMW sales agent, who previously worked for Porsche, when told that the price of my 2020 Macan S, with a MSRP of $70,000 was priced very similarly to the $66,000 MSRP for the X4 40i. Both to be custom built. He said if he could get a Macan S for the same price as an X4 40i, all things equal, there would be little to think about and he understood if I picked the Macan. Nuf said.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
If Macan is only $4k more than X4, similarly equipped I would definitely get the Macan. Only thing is X4 40i is quite a bit quicker than Macan S.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Price was actually closer than that. BMW dealers weren't offering much on 2020 that had not hit showroom yet. They wanted to sell off their 2019s and pushed that hard. They weren't giving much on custom ordering a new 2020. Porsche was a bit more flexible. In all, pricing was virtually the same, apples to apples. X4 40i felt great and I loved the ride. I don't think you could go wrong with it. I guess I opted for Macan based on many reviews, overall reputation and curb appeal. I also thought the look of Macan was a home run. The new X4 look kept changing in my mind from like to not-so-much like.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
If the final sale prices are similar it’s a no brainer.

I just came back from vacation and this morning I drove my Macan S for its 1st run in 2020. Almost forgot how good it felt!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is my 2 cents. I have owned a few BMWs. Two 328s and two X5s. Latest was a 2016 X5. Loved them all. I went from that one to a 2018 Macan S. Great car. Recently, I compared the new X4 40i to the new Macan S. X3 has a little more cargo area than X4 but X4 is far more fun to drive. If I really needed that extra space I'd have stayed with the X5 and never tried the Macan S. I really liked both vehicles. After much deliberation, and research, I opted for a new Macan S. It didn't help BMW that they downgraded their maintenance coverage from the X5 I owned. But it was still more expensive than the Porsche would be. Now it's scheduled maintenance as opposed to everything but brakes. One thing that did push things over the top was a comment made by my top BMW sales agent, who previously worked for Porsche, when told that the price of my 2020 Macan S, with a MSRP of $70,000 was priced very similarly to the $66,000 MSRP for the X4 40i. Both to be custom built. He said if he could get a Macan S for the same price as an X4 40i, all things equal, there would be little to think about and he understood if I picked the Macan. Nuf said.
Thank you for your reply. Lol, yes I would pick the Macan over the BMW if that was the case also :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the final sale prices are similar it’s a no brainer.

I just came back from vacation and this morning I drove my Macan S for its 1st run in 2020. Almost forgot how good it felt!
With the BMW incentives and discounts I’m looking at an $8k difference between a 2020 BMW X3 M 40i and 2020 built Macan which I would done silver exterior for sure. Love the silver. Glad to hear you are enjoying your Macan it’s such a great drive and I’ll miss it from the test drive I did too -lol!

·
Registered
115 Posts
you mentioned an $8K difference. only you can decide the value of each, but make sure you are comparing apples to apples. for starters, i assume you mean a MACAN S and not a base. then compare the features, packages, options etc. then see if the $8K differential is legit. the resale value is another story but beyond this discussion.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts