Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am an aspiring Macan owner. This would be my first Porsche and I cant wait to drive it. I have been searching for a used 2017, 2018 Macan S for quite a while now. Up until recently, I could only find a 2017 Macan S under my budget.

But when I expanded my search filter to Nationwide, I found one 2018 Macan S at a not too crazy price but just below KBB with 73K miles on it. Since it is out of state, I tried to do an intensive search to find any possible issues that I could unravel ( vinanalytics, vinaudit, carfax, dealer reviews) but could not find any.

My question is, what issues I should be aware of before finalizing the deal? Especially, when the vehicle is priced below KBB price. It just seems too good to be true but I may be wrong.

P.S. The car was scheduled for mechanic inspection to find oil leaks (transfer case, timing chain) and check the PDK transmission but did not find any.
I assume that the factory warranty must have expired already.

Any advice/ help will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
What is there not to look out for ? Its an out of state 73K mile 4+ year old car . Every mile is a piece of unknown history and if something does go wrong you are on the hook to pay for it. Does this even have a CPO ? Even with a CPO Porsche parts are not always easy to come by the cays due to the supply chain issues . I would even say that about a new car but at least one gets a loaner , has warranty, and if shopping close to home has a dealership who hopefully can back it up. These are different times . Although in any time period unless I knew the previous owner for a few years as well as the car itself I would be nervous . A high mile car can be bought but I would like to know that car before I bought it . Inspections help but its not a magic carpet ride.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Don’t even think about it.

That’s Russian Roulette with 5 chambers loaded.

To give you a sense of what we’re talking about .. . . . I’m taking my bought new meticulously cared for 2019 in next week for a minor repair. Estimate is on the order of $4,000.00

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hard pass here. Dealers aren’t stupid, if it is priced below what you’d expect there are often reasons - yes, more than one. Not worth trying to unravel the mystery and hope you can avoid $5-20k in repairs after purchase. Unless you’re a mechanic yourself and enjoy working on cars I wouldn’t. Not now, not ever.

·
Registered
2022 Macan Gran Turismo Sport
586 Posts
I'll be the defector here, this car you are looking at could last longer then a 2020 model or in fact die the day after you buy it.

No one really knows.

IMO I would buy the 2018 over the 2017. The 2018 is probably listed below KBB because it has high miles. I have a 2018 with 37,000 miles for comparison.

Also, to the comments above, blanks in a gun will still kill you in Russian roulette at point blank range :)

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
I think I found this gem of a car. Its either a black one or a blue one and my guess based in the description its the black car in. Oklahoma . The blue one had accident history so I ruled it out . The black car had no accident history and was CPO twice to two owners . It was originally a 69K car asking high 30's WP1AB2A57JLB31669 | 2018 Porsche Macan S | VIN Analytics
Thats the build sheet and original price.

I looked to see 2nd Gen CPO cars . Yikes . This really is a sellers market . 45K is the floor for asking prices on base cars . I'd rather have a base newer car with a CP0 but those prices are insane . About 5 of them popped up with approx 58K miles . Thats right before the 60K big service .

Conclusion .... Dealerships are making big money on used cars because they are low on new ones . Many are charging ADM even for a Macan .
OP- You are buying into an inflated market at a price point that is unattainable for a reliable car . Theres just too much risk.

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
I'll be the defector here, this car you are looking at could last longer then a 2020 model or in fact die the day after you buy it.

No one really knows.

IMO I would buy the 2018 over the 2017 as the 2018 will still have Factory Warranty until around August 2022. The 2018 is probably listed below KBB because it has high miles. I have a 2018 with 37,000 miles for comparison.

Also, to the comments above, blanks in a gun will still kill you in Russian roulette at point blank range :)
Factory warranty ends at 50K miles . CPO ends if sold to a non Porsche dealership. It has no warranty .

·
Registered
326 Posts
In this superheated seller's market, I would be very wary about a vehicle that is priced below current values, with an unknown service history. While not normally unreliable vehicles at higher miles, they can get very costly quickly, as they age, especially if they've been neglected or mistreated. If it were an Authorized Porsche dealer, that's one thing, but otherwise, "buyer be very aware."

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW! This has been an eye-opener for me!! I am glad to have this urge last night to post here and I got up from my insomnia. I had all the above arguments in my head but was just blindsided by this exhausting search for a Macan/ Macan S under my humble budget. I always wanted one and have been searching for 6+ months. This particular unit was spec'd close to my checklist and was 2018.

Thank you all SOOO MUCH !! I cannot appreciate enough how much this has helped. Was about to book tickets to OK!
@yrralis1 Yes! that's the one I was eyeing. But, I for sure have more clarity on this now. Will drop the plan and search in-state or near to my state
I think I found this gem of a car. Its either a black one or a blue one and my guess based in the description its the black car in. Oklahoma . The blue one had accident history so I ruled it out . The black car had no accident history and was CPO twice to two owners . It was originally a 69K car asking high 30's WP1AB2A57JLB31669 | 2018 Porsche Macan S | VIN Analytics
Thats the build sheet and original price.

I looked to see 2nd Gen CPO cars . Yikes . This really is a sellers market . 45K is the floor for asking prices on base cars . I'd rather have a base newer car with a CP0 but those prices are insane . About 5 of them popped up with approx 58K miles . Thats right before the 60K big service .

Conclusion .... Dealerships are making big money on used cars because they are low on new ones . Many are charging ADM even for a Macan .
OP- You are buying into an inflated market at a price point that is unattainable for a reliable car . Theres just too much risk.
Yes Thats the one!

Forgive me, I am new here but what is ADM?

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
WOW! This has been an eye-opener for me!! I am glad to have this urge last night to post here and I got up from my insomnia. I had all the above arguments in my head but was just blindsided by this exhausting search for a Macan/ Macan S under my humble budget. I always wanted one and have been searching for 6+ months. This particular unit was spec'd close to my checklist and was 2018.

Thank you all SOOO MUCH !! I cannot appreciate enough how much this has helped. Was about to book tickets to OK!
@yrralis1 Yes! that's the one I was eyeing. But, I for sure have more clarity on this now. Will drop the plan and search in-state or near to my state

Yes Thats the one!

Forgive me, I am new here but what is ADM?
Additional mark up the dealerships are charging on new cars. Not all dealerships are doing this. Some are. It can range to $5000 over sticker for a Macan to $100,000 over sticker for 911 turbo S. Guys are actually paying for it. The shortage is not the buyers. It’s the cars. My feeling has been the best play is to buy a new base Macan and remain lean on options . MSRP with no discount is the new floor for cars in Porsche. These are very difficult times to be a shopper. Good luck in the process.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts