Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I think you need to let the dealer check it out.

Before that, go to any good tire shop and ask them what could have caused it. Those guys have seen plenty of tire related issues.

·
Registered
944 Posts
26K on the factory summer Pirelli's

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
My first set of factory installed Hankook summer tires lasted 13k miles. My second set of Michelin N0 summer tires have 18k miles now and the rears are on the wear bars. Front tires can go another few thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Alignment is a repair, not some sort of maintenance item. The car should be precisely aligned when it ships. It shouldn’t change unless you hit something pretty hard. If that had happened, you’d remember it. Of course by now the dealer is justified in suspecting/assuming you hit something. Don’t take it personally. Your best next move is to have a good tire store look at it.

Reactions: iconoclast

·
Registered
944 Posts
Do you drive like a nanny or a racer? ;)
The wife drives very spiritedly.

I still had some tread left, but i got new tires and I wasn't going to look at them for another 3 or 4k miles.

So off they went

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I have Summer tires. ~ 22k miles so far. I ck tread depth in 4 spots across width of each tire each quarter. I recommend this so, you can be aware of any uneven wear or other problems & have time to correct the issue b4 ruining your tires prematurely. I have not had an alignment, do not need one since my tires are wearing evenly.
I started with 10/32 (You say you started with 11/32, which sounds right. Tire manufacturer should list tread depth, look it up.)

I'm now @ ~5/32.

I asked my Porsche SA if it is true that Macan's wear rear tires much faster than front & was told no, s/b the same. That is what I am experiencing so far. I will eventually replace all 4 with Michelins, which have a tread life warranty.
2/32 is the legal limit. If I lived in a rainy climate, I'd probably replace @ ~ 4/32.

Your tire wear is in no way normal!
Something is wrong.

Did you measure the tread depth? Those gauges are cheap! You can use the penny or quarter trick, to get an idea.

Obviously you have the issue of chunks falling off but are the rest of the treads @ 4/32 or 7/32 & is it worn evenly from inside to outside?

I would NOT go to the dealer for replacement tires. Now that you know they will not cover this under your W&T warranty why pay the Porsche premium rather than go to Discount Tire or some other reputable tire shop?

Have you kept proper tire pressure?

What CTP do you run?

Part load or full load?

Have you contacted the manufacturer with your photos to get their input?

Also, do the CTP yourself, 1x/mo. Do not rely on the TPMS for anything other than a rough guideline to point out a need to check it yourself with a gauge.

If you rely on someone else to check your TP (will not be CTP, probably Warm or Hot!) & rely on same mechanic to tell you what you tread depth is, you will likely get wrong information & wrong TP.
Due to; incompetence, laziness or outright lying.
Learn to do this yourself, it is easy.
Read this:
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/drivers-ed/tire-alignment

You can find many such articles & see photos detailing uneven wear due to alignment or pressure problems.
Nowhere, will it show chucks falling off!

I suggest cancel your new tire appt. at the Porsche dealer. Buy new tires, at a fair price, from a reputable tire shop (Compare fair price from tire rack.com.) & buy the road hazard warranty.

You can still use your (overpriced) W&T insurance... if you damage your rims.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I’m no expert either, but I did work in a tire store doing installations for several years when I was in school.

IMHO it’s very likely an alignment issue. Many tire shops will do a courtesy no charge alignment check, but be forewarned, it’s sort of like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

I would also say it’s unlikely this was an alignment issue from the factory as unusual wear like this would have appeared long before 19k miles.

In my experience what most likely happened here is that the car encountered a few potholes over time and the owner might not realize that. It’s not like potholes are unknown in the DC area.

While it is possible there’s something else wrong with the car, if it were mine. I would shop for an alignment and new tires, and then carefully monitor how the new tires wear and check pressures at least monthly. If there’s something else going on with the car, any competent alignment shop will almost undoubtedly pick up on it when they try to do the alignment.

Very curious to hear Eddie’s thoughts on this.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Reasons to Use a Dealer's Service Department

.... I would NOT go to the dealer for replacement tires. Now that you know they will not cover this under your W&T warranty why pay the Porsche premium rather than go to Discount Tire or some other reputable tire shop? ....
The above statement, which strongly suggests not to use a Porsche Dealer's Service Department for replacement tires because of premium prices, is not supported in my experience. I am not a Porsche Service Department fan boy, but Porsche Cars North America (PCNA), for its dealers, reportedly has a contract with Tire Rack as its tire supplier for dealers in the lower 49 states. That PCNA contract gives Porsche dealers priority as to obtaining certain manufacturer brands and tire sizes.

For our Porsches, we generally use independent shops for routine service, but for tire and wheel services we almost always use a Porsche Service Department. In one fairly recent experience that I had with a Florida Porsche Service Department, the dealer's price for a rear PZero was $40 cheaper than the Tire Rack on-line price for the same tire, in the manufacturer’s brand and size that particular Porsche needed.

Also, the Porsche Dealer's Service Department (with the three dealers I have experience with) has the latest Hunter equipment for dismounting the old tires, and for proper mounting of new tires on a Porsche cast or forged wheel, without damaging those wheels. This latter point is important to most Porsche owners.

Prior to your appointment, and knowing on-line prices, you should check with a Service Advisor for a total breakdown of costs for tires, mounting and balancing. Ask what equipment and its service age the Porsche Service Department is using for that work. Your Porsche Service Department will, in all likelihood, meet or beat Tire Rack's and Discount Tire’s prices for the tires needed, and you have the certainty that the correct equipment with a trained technician will be utilized. The dismount/mount/dynamic balancing should be in the neighborhood of $180 to $200 for four, with your PCA discount. Keep the Faith, Mac 18

·
Registered
257 Posts
OP did you purchase additional wheel and tire warranty at sale? If so such demages should be covered. If not ask for your warranty money back.

I'd replace the tires first, your Macan needs new shoes. Then closely observe the wear. It could be just tire defect, or a particular road conditions you were subject to.

Alignment inspection is ok too, but just like the other member said, they will recommend an alignment whether necessary or not, it is in a condition you cannot say no to, but it might not be the issue.

However the above is only what I'd do in your shoes?, take it with a grain of salt. It is your decision, what your concern and comfort level should dictate.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am not a Porsche Service Department fan boy, but Porsche Cars North America (PCNA), for its dealers, reportedly has a contract with Tire Rack as its tire supplier for dealers in the lower 49 states. That PCNA contract gives Porsche dealers priority as to obtaining certain manufacturer brands and tire sizes.

For our Porsches, we generally use independent shops for routine service, but for tire and wheel services we almost always use a Porsche Service Department. In one fairly recent experience that I had with a Florida Porsche Service Department, the dealer's price for a rear PZero was $40 cheaper than the Tire Rack on-line price for the same tire, in the manufacturer’s brand and size that particular Porsche needed.

Also, the Porsche Dealer's Service Department (with the three dealers I have experience with) has the latest Hunter equipment for dismounting the old tires, and for proper mounting of new tires on a Porsche cast or forged wheel, without damaging those wheels. This latter point is important to most Porsche owners.

Prior to your appointment, and knowing on-line prices, you should check with a Service Advisor for a total breakdown of costs for tires, mounting and balancing. Ask what equipment and its service age the Porsche Service Department is using for that work. Your Porsche Service Department will, in all likelihood, meet or beat Tire Rack's and Discount Tire’s prices for the tires needed, and you have the certainty that the correct equipment with a trained technician will be utilized. The dismount/mount/dynamic balancing should be in the neighborhood of $180 to $200 for four, with your PCA discount.
In my experience Porsche dealers are going to usually be significantly more expensive for tires, installation, and alignments.

But not always, so there’s no harm in checking. Just takes a phone call. Not long ago Ray Catena in New Jersey was quoting Macan tires a bit cheaper than TireRack, although there installation costs were somewhat high.

I would say if you can find a Porsche dealer who will charge under $200 for the installation, you are doing pretty well, although unfortunately using a dealer for tire installation is not insurance that’s your wheels won’t get scratched (ask me how I know).

After working in a tire store for several years as an installer, I can strongly recommend that what you need to do no matter who you use is to communicate how fussy you are regarding scratches to your wheels. Any modern tire shop is going to have the equipment needed to properly change tires correctly without damaging the wheels, and if they are not confident they can do the job right after your telling them how fussy you are, they will in all likelihood turn away your business.

There’s nothing unique about Porsche wheels, an there’s nothing especially unusual about doing an alignment on a Macan (unless you have LKA, but that’s not unique to Porsche either).

And there’s certainly no need to spend more than $150-$160 for the installation. While no one would ever say that Hunter’s Road Force Balance machine is not a wonderful piece of equipment, in my experience it’s very rarely needed with Porsche OEM wheels.

And the story about PCNA having a contract with Tire Rack sounds like complete dealer BS. Reportedly? Reported by who? While I have seen a few car dealers who are now authorized installers for Tire Rack, Porsche buys more than enough tires from each of the manufacturers to not need to introduce a middleman into the transaction.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was just at my local dealership yesterday checking on winter tires. Same tire/price as Tirerack (mentioned they are part of a tirerack program). I think they quoted $160 for the install

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I buy my tires directly from Tirerack when they are on sale and have them installed by a local performance shop for $160.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
In my experience Porsche dealers are going to usually be significantly more expensive for tires, installation, and alignments.

But not always, so there’s no harm in checking. Just takes a phone call. Not long ago Ray Catena in New Jersey was quoting Macan tires a bit cheaper than TireRack, although there installation costs were somewhat high.

I would say if you can find a Porsche dealer who will charge under $200 for the installation, you are doing pretty well, although unfortunately using a dealer for tire installation is not insurance that’s your wheels won’t get scratched (ask me how I know).

And the story about PCNA having a contract with Tire Rack sounds like complete dealer BS. Reportedly? Reported by who? While I have seen a few car dealers who are now authorized installers for Tire Rack, Porsche buys more than enough tires from each of the manufacturers to not need to introduce a middleman into the transaction.
Besides my discussing this "dealer BS" with two Porsche Service Departments, grim, the Macanform's Super Moderator, has commented on a possible PCNA contract. In a thread titled, "Had a flat tire on the Highway...", in #7 of #26 , grim first quoted two posters in that thread, and then added the following:

[POST #7 START]

"Quote:Originally Posted by alex_c

By the way, another surprise was finding out that the cost at the dealer was SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER than TireRack! The Pirelli Max Performance Summer (295/40R20 106Y) is listed at $425 at TireRack. I paid $370 total at the dealer, including overnight shipping, mounting and balancing.
Never thought it would actually be cheaper at the dealer!

Quote:Originally Posted by bob m

Good story and I am absolutely amazed that the tire from the dealership would be lower than Tirerack.

grim: PCNA contracts with Tire Rack (pretty sure of that) so the dealer gets it from them. Is this a P Zero? You might want to check but p zeros went from N0 to N1 with the intro of the 991.2, although a different height ratio than the Macan, yours might be N0. N1 is more money and N0 going away."

[POST #7 END ]

As an aside, and if you think about the issue, why would PCNA stock a multitude of tires in its two major coastal USA warehouses. Contracting with a specialty company which has numerous tire warehouses throughout the USA (i.e., PCNA does not have the stocking and holding costs of a large tire inventory at its OEM part warehouse facilities) makes good business sense if the individual tire contract prices with the specialty company remain highly competitive, and PCNA dealers have a guaranteed contractual priority as to certain tires (i.e., a certain number of identified tires must be kept in reserve for PCNA dealers by the tire specialty company). Just some observations, and as I am not in privity to the business affairs of PCNA and the tire specialty company, it is very possible that such a contract does not exist, which could put this part of the thread into BS territory.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I got 4 Pirelli Verde delivered to my shop, no tax, free shipping for $637.

Dealer charged $160 for dismount/mount/balance for 4 tires, then $199 for a 4 wheel alignment.

I got a brand new Macan for a loaner, they washed the vehicle I dropped off and did a quick interior detail.

I also had the brake fluid flushed while I was there for $240, IIRC.

I have no other worries until 40K miles other than I will change my own oil at 30K miles myself

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mac18, I don’t believe you read my post.

I never said that a dealer could not have a lower price than TireRack. In fact I noted an example.

Also I never said that PCNA was stocking tires at their distribution centers. Go to any Porsche dealer and watch the parts delivery being made. Do you see tires coming off the parts truck? It would be rare.

As I mentioned in my post. some car dealers are starting to do business with Tirerack. Apparently that includes some Porsche dealers.

As to the accuracy of what you were told by two dealer employees, I always take what any dealer tells me with a grain of salt as so much often turns out to be incorrect, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Original Pirelli's were about 17k+. Front mostly worn but I changed all 4. Nexen "N" Fera. Purchased at Sams Club at about $150 each.

·
Registered
404 Posts
On my X5, I was a new set of Runflats every other summer. And I run snow tires.
I have a set of Continental DSW and now on the third summer.

wear? straight line? are you turning? heavy braking, hard cornering? tire pressure. All effect tread life. Even the road surface. Those USA concrete toll roads can be very tough on tires. In my track rat days, some tracks were very hard on tires. Some surfaces were rasp like. Go out with 3/16th, come in with belt.
O/P - You need new tires. They are a wear item. I doubt anyone is going to warranty anything. Your running a 3 year old car. Unless there is an egg under your right peddle? I'm sure the carpet is dented, like mine. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
P is for Porsche not Prius. Mileage aside, 3 years of fun. What is the date stamp on your tires? How old are they really... older than your car for sure.
Getting new tire? Before install. Take pictures of all your rims. I don't care who you are contracting with, dealer or indy. You need to document the condition of your wheels before work commences. Getting tires ordered in? Make sure they are as fresh as they can be. Agree on a date stamp. You don't want 3 tires from 2018 and one from 2016.
Indy or dealer. No hammer on weights. stickers only. If your really OCD. Clean your rim barrel before you take your car in. Stickies stick better.
No impact gun, make sure your wheel bolt lock is in the car when you drop it off and make sure it is there when you leave. If you really want to start from fresh?
Get a wheel alignment. A good shop should give you before and after.

·
Registered
203 Posts
On my 2017 GTS replaced my original Michelin Latitudes on rear with 23,500 miles on them. Stayed with the same brand for the new tires. Fronts still look good, have a few thousand miles left on them.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts